What's this worth?

pikeydave

Reaction score
A reg, Motad exhaust, new tyres, kickstart version. Looks in good overall condition to me.

070720111093.jpg

I guess if the engine and frame numbers match up then that's a good start because most of these early Teneres will have died a tragic death by now and a lot have had some sort of hideous engine transplant

Its a 34L or possibly a 55W variant in your picture which are virtually the same except for country of origin (or destination :confused:) I think

That one looks like a good base point because all the original parts look there, like the front and rear mudguards, side panels, rack and so. But that is not original paintwork which may affect the price downwards by a couple of hundred.

These bikes had one major failing, the original oil pump was weak which caused a degree of oil starvation. Combine that with the riders tendency to engage 5th gear too early and 600cc of single cylinder thumping through 5th gear means there are a lot of mangled gearboxes out there.

Otherwise it is bog simple motorsickle and in my opinion, one of the best.

If you have good solid evidence of a refurbished gearbox and oil pump, I would say £1500 max if it is as good as it looks because 34Ls are becoming increasingly popular, a bit like XT500s where mint ones go for over £2500 up to £3500 for a minter

If you are buying without much history I wouldn't go over £1000 as it would be a quite a gamble that you wouldn't need to splash some cash on the gearbox. And if it has a 3AJ, 1VJ or 4PT engine transplant, then £800 or £900 is enough 'cause then it's just a field bike to thrash around and you can pretend you have an ASBO for drinking cider outside a corner shop

In Europe, where these bikes have proved more popular, you see renovated examples go for £3000

If it runs well I'd say a grand. Pretty groovy bike :cool:

Back
Top Bottom