Base layers

coyotedave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For some time and expence i'v been looking for a good base layer that works. They all claim that their work in hot and cold conditions:blagblah. Well not on me they don't. Enter my new base layer from Craigon sports, Inverurie, Scotland. Made from 66% bamboo:confused: said to be extreamly good at wisking away moisture and anti bacterial, to you and me that means not sweaty and stinky.
While on my recent trip to Austria i encounted both hot and cold, Fresh snow fall on some of the alpine passes:eek: and the base layer worked extreamly well. From the first time you put it on there is a short period of time when you feel the outside temp but as your body warms up or cools down the base layer take control keeping you at a steady temp.
I consider these to be the best i have ever used and at a cost of £15 delivered to be very good value.

:beerjug: Dave.

Yep thats the one :thumb. Try a sherch on the web for Bamboo base layers, i bought another one from a different shop but cant for the life in me remember the name. That one is a vee neck but just as good.

Thanks my EDZ is falling apart, to be honest I found that OK, it certainly kept leathers / textiles from sticking and did not smell.

But £15 for a replacement - Thanks :thumb

I'v used edz befor, The leggings were ok but the tops just didn't do it for me.
I wear Rukka textile and quite happy with just the top base layer. Not tried it with leathers but they are very thin and should be ok.

Dave, what's the sizing like?

Dave, what's the sizing like?

Size is as normal sizing, i take a large size with most clothes, 42in chest, They are cut long in the arms and body, an added bonus in my opinion when sitting on the bike.

I have a Helly Hansen one, just the top half no bottoms. It's brilliant but I don't know if a layer that's designed or marketed for motorcycles is any different? Anyone?

I think this HH one is for marine use maybe. The best thing about it compared to other (cheaper) ones I've had, is that the HH one has Merino wool (50% IIRC) in it so it NEVER smells. I've worn this on the m-bike, pushbike, hiking for days in NZ without changing it. Dries easily too.

My advice; check the label for MERINO.

For some time and expence i'v been looking for a good base layer that works. They all claim that their work in hot and cold conditions:blagblah. Well not on me they don't. Enter my new base layer from Craigon sports, Inverurie, Scotland. Made from 66% bamboo:confused: said to be extreamly good at wisking away moisture and anti bacterial, to you and me that means not sweaty and stinky.
While on my recent trip to Austria i encounted both hot and cold, Fresh snow fall on some of the alpine passes:eek: and the base layer worked extreamly well. From the first time you put it on there is a short period of time when you feel the outside temp but as your body warms up or cools down the base layer take control keeping you at a steady temp.
I consider these to be the best i have ever used and at a cost of £15 delivered to be very good value.

lets have a linky then dave please:ronno

lets have a linky then dave please:ronno

Read back up a bit, second thoughts don't bother:-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2965559

Although Dave neither confirmed nor denied this was the correct link, it is what I ordered.

Since I replaced my ageing EDZ with this I have done a good few miles and a Alps Tour where we had from 2-3c in damp weather, up to 35c under blazing skies and overall I reckon it works well.

Both base layers did a great job of stopping me getting in a real mess in hot weather and they seem to make wearing textiles or leathers a bit more comfy and easier to slip on and off.

Hard to know if these wick away moisture or reduce your teperature in the hot weather / keep you warmer in the cold weather (sounds like a bold and contradictory claim) and I have not the scientific knowledge or equipment to prove / disprove any of the blurb.

What I do know is I tend to wear a base layer most of the time, only skipping them on short journeys or work commutes, certainly my subconscious believes they do a good job in all weathers as I tend to reach for them.

I am sure an extra layer must help in cold weather, but in the heat I am not certain if they keep you cooler (but they may do) but I think they definately make you more comfy, and tend not to stink at the end of the day.

The wicking effect may be present as when I take my jacket off in really hot weather and the wind / air gets to the base layer I cool off real quick.

A big thumbs up for me for both EDZ and the Bamboo, but the Bamboo steals the show on price, but the EDZ dries quicker hanging up in a Hotel room overnight (the bamboo could still be a shade damp the next morning - which was nice on the 35c days, but not so great at the top of a pass 1st thing in the morning)

Back
Top Bottom