1150 GSA vibes.

das boat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After thinking about buying a GS for the last 18 months I've finally gone and done it. 05 plate GSA.
I realise that the bikes are all a little individual, but was wondering if the vibes
through the bars and pegs at 5000 rpms is the norm.
The vibes are very pronounced and equate to a speed of 90 mph, making cruising at that speed (on autobahns) unsustainable.
Just wondering if it could be down to the full laser system,
or a case of, they all do that sir.

vibration

mine seems ok 04 gsa 38k on the clock standard exhaust with y piece
lots of things can cause vibration
time to have a check round does it feel to come from the engine
what sort of tyres condition tyre pressures
i mainly ride two up so it's always loaded
check throttle bodies
best of luck:beerjug:

1150 GSA vibes

mine seems ok 04 gsa 38k on the clock standard exhaust with y piece
lots of things can cause vibration
time to have a check round does it feel to come from the engine
what sort of tyres condition tyre pressures
i mainly ride two up so it's always loaded
check throttle bodies
best of luck:beerjug:

Yeah defo coming from the engine, vibes start at 5000rpm what ever gear I'm in. It's like flicking a switch. Think I'll get the throttle bodies checked. :thumb2

Mines quite viby in 1 to 5. Compared to other bikes I have ridden. But bung it in E and its like being sat in a Jag. A totally different engine. And I can see out of the mirrors then as well.

mine does something similar, I tend to think it's just a point in the power band (R1150GSA with Cat and Stubby) that makes the vibes more noticable, as once above about 5k the vibes don't get any worse just a bit more noticable, after a few long runs you stop notice it or use it as a guide for where you are in the rev range without looking at the clocks

wouldn't do any harm to balance the throttle bodies further up the rev range if it bothers you,

My old R1100RS sometimes gets vibes at about the same RPM, can be if the throttle bodies are out of sync, valve clearances or bad petrol. Means I can't see anything in the mirrors because of the shake.

Alistair.

After thinking about buying a GS for the last 18 months I've finally gone and done it. 05 plate GSA.
I realise that the bikes are all a little individual, but was wondering if the vibes
The vibes are very pronounced and equate to a speed of 90 mph, making cruising at that speed (on autobahns) unsustainable.

You have to go back quite a long way but I think it was Steptoe who posted Poll on where in the rev range different 1150's hit this vibration spot. Most are about the 5,000 rpm mark.

Mine has always done it, not a massive or intrusive vibration but it's enough to be aware of.

Thanks for all the replies, I ask about the vibes because I've not owned a bmw before. About a month ago i test rode an 1150RT and that was silky smooth.
The bike is totally stock apart from the full laser system, might add that the can has no baffle, so is pretty loud.
Running on avon distanza's.
As I mentioned before, the vibes start at 5000 rpm regardless road speed or selected gear. Got the bike from a dealer so will take it back for them to look at.
Just trying to have something in my pocket in case of sorry sir they all do that.
Once again, thanks everyone. Das.

Thanks for all the replies, I ask about the vibes because I've not owned a bmw before. About a month ago i test rode an 1150RT and that was silky smooth.
The bike is totally stock apart from the full laser system, might add that the can has no baffle, so is pretty loud.
Running on avon distanza's.
As I mentioned before, the vibes start at 5000 rpm regardless road speed or selected gear. Got the bike from a dealer so will take it back for them to look at.
Just trying to have something in my pocket in case of sorry sir they all do that.
Once again, thanks everyone. Das.

Its not loud its purrrrrfect:D

Mate it sounds great, honest:thumb

Rich:beerjug:

another one

My mates 1150 gs does the same although his starts at around 4,500 rpm it is quite intrusive and makes the bike unpleasant to ride. It feels so fundamental that my best guess is that the motor is out of balance. If it was mine I would already have the motor stripped and away for a good dynamic balance.
The realities and cost involved unfortunately mean he will most likely sell it as he cannot bare to use as is.
My all but identical bike does a very slight buzz at 4,500 rpm then goes away ??
Guess the vagueries of mass production play their part ? :nenau

:D:thumb

Must agree with you on the vibes on the GSA I had. I found it a bit of a pain at higher M Way speeds, the GS 1150 I have now is older with more miles but totally differant in that area.... far smoother

I'd say, they don't all do that (at least not to the point of being unpleasant - you might get a slight tingle but it shouldn't be intrusive).

I'd take it back to the dealer (assuming it's under warranty) - I'd bet with good attention to valve clearances, throttle body balance and perhaps even a look at coils or injectors, it could be improved.

Back
Top Bottom