Fuel Injectors

chas

Reaction score
Hi all looking for some technical advice my 1100gs has been laid up for abut 4 years and wont start it's turning over but wont fire
the fuel pumps priming up and there’s fuel pressure at the injectors but doesn’t seem to be injecting fuel (no smell of fuel at down pipe cat removed) maybe the injectors blocked with old petrol ?
how do I check or clean the injectors

Hi all looking for some technical advice my 1100gs has been laid up for abut 4 years and wont start it's turning over but wont fire
the fuel pumps priming up and there’s fuel pressure at the injectors but doesn’t seem to be injecting fuel (no smell of fuel at down pipe cat removed) maybe the injectors blocked with old petrol ?
how do I check or clean the injectors

To see if the injectors are opening:
Take an injector out (undo the little screw and they just pull out of the rubber doughnut in the throttle body), put it in a jam jar and spin the engine over (pull the plug off the other injector so it doesn't try to fire). It'll be obvious if it's squirting.

Also test to see if the hall sensor is providing the signal to the ECU:
Take the plugs out, put the engine in 5th gear and with the ignition on, turn the engine over using the back wheel. You should hear the fuel pump reprime every revolution.

Let us know what happens :thumb2

thanks will try that tomorrow and let you know what the outcome is:thumb2

I had my injectors serviced and cleaned last year, it cost me £17 each, new filters, tested and solvent cleaned, look in your yellow pages for car injection services.

Hi all removed injectors and turned over no fuel turned the back wheel pump priming every revolution so think it’s the yellow pages for me

Hi all removed injectors and turned over no fuel turned the back wheel pump priming every revolution so think it’s the yellow pages for me

One last test - pull one of the injector plugs and put a multimeter on the pins in the plug - ignition on, turn it over as before. You should see the 12v pulse on the feed to the injector.

If that test comes out ok then yep - the only thing left is gummed up injectors.

After four years laid up I'd be thinking about changing all the fluids too.

Don’t seem to have any resistance across the injector terminals doesn’t seem right and only 8v at the plug when cranking but the multimeter I’m using is a maplans £9.99 job so recon the injectors feckt and the multimetre isn’t up to catching the 12v reading from the ecu :duno:duno:duno

At this point, you've gone beyond the limits of my experience with stuff I've done on my 1100 so hopefully others will chip in with ideas.

My guess is that you should see some resistance at the injectors but it might be pretty low - I think I've seen Steptoe post what the injector resistance should be - might be worth a search. Again, I'm speculating but I think it's pretty unlikely that you'd have two injectors fail in the same way but then again, I've never laid a fuel injected bike up for four years...

Thanks for all the help so far matt think you might be right about the two injectors but will get a better multimeter and try again :thumb2

At this point, you've gone beyond the limits of my experience with stuff I've done on my 1100 so hopefully others will chip in with ideas.

My guess is that you should see some resistance at the injectors but it might be pretty low - I think I've seen Steptoe post what the injector resistance should be - might be worth a search. Again, I'm speculating but I think it's pretty unlikely that you'd have two injectors fail in the same way but then again, I've never laid a fuel injected bike up for four years...

Also not much expertise, but also maybe the fuel pressure regulator, no idea how to test that:blast

Back
Top Bottom