October - Ypres, Somme & Normandy

Jona

Reaction score
Looking for some friendly advice please....

Still in the planning stages but getting a ferry to Brugge then pushing on to possibly Ypres for a night before heading to the Somme area (one more night) and finally Normandy for three nights before heading back to Brugge.

Any reccomendations for bike friendly B&B's ??? Found a nice one in the Normandy area but not sure about anywhere else.

Got a list as long as my arm for potential WW1/WW2 sites to visit so any you feel are not worth visiting would save me and Billybumblebeard some miles and time :thumb2

:beerjug:

Somme Area

Try www.martinpegler.com. No one has more knowledge about WW1 and the Somme area. Great B&B and entertaining company right where all the action happened.
AlanR

Martin Peglar as above ... had a few days with his and his good wife Kate earlier this year. Hospitality and knowledge second to none :thumb

Seconded

Martin and Kate

Stayed several times now top notch B&B,what Martin does not know about WW1 isn,t worth knowing. Its ideally located in the Somme.

As for Ypres try the Llamedos B&B run by Max and Ruth his wife Friendly and Helpful.Garage for the bikes plus the best breakfast in the area.
It is a walk into town thats easily done.Good value compared to the town accommodation

regards Frank

have

stayed here, in the heart of the Somme close to Thiepval and they have a great little personal museum across the road.

Martin Peglar as above ... had a few days with his and his good wife Kate earlier this year. Hospitality and knowledge second to none :thumb

Martin and Kate

Stayed several times now top notch B&B,what Martin does not know about WW1 isn,t worth knowing. Its ideally located in the Somme.

As for Ypres try the Llamedos B&B run by Max and Ruth his wife Friendly and Helpful.Garage for the bikes plus the best breakfast in the area.
It is a walk into town thats easily done.Good value compared to the town accommodation

regards Frank

stayed here, in the heart of the Somme close to Thiepval and they have a great little personal museum across the road.

Thanks for the advice fella's ... May well give Martin and Kate a try providing they have room. :thumb

I also like the sound of Llamedos in Ypres ...

Got lots of planning to do but It'll be well worth it!!

re normandy accommodation

hi jona
you may also want to have a look at this in Normandy.
Normandy beach b & b its run buy a guy called Adrian.
small village in Arromanches close to beach and bars :beer:.
they also have sheds for your bikes PLUS a guest fridge to keep all your beers cold :D.
Also for Ypres try Ariane.
some friends of mine go tomorrow for a week so will keep you up to date when they get back.
may be meet up at Rainbow so they can give you some advice.
hope this helps. best regards Ronnie :beerjug:

Martin and Kate

regards Frank

found an address for Llamedos but the email bounced back :blast Any ideas???
Will maybe have to look elsewhere for accommodation in Ypres. Booked for the Somme with Martin and Kate and trying to book into the Normandy beach hotel :thumb2

Orchard Farm booked :jager

Normandy beach booked :ChrisKelly

Still need something around Ypres ... Toying with the idea of basing down in Combles at Orchard farm for 2 nights now and doing the Ypres stuff from there. Is it do-able :nenau or too far?

Jona

Orchard Farm booked :jager

Normandy beach booked :ChrisKelly

Still need something around Ypres ... Toying with the idea of basing down in Combles at Orchard farm for 2 nights now and doing the Ypres stuff from there. Is it do-able :nenau or too far?

Jona

Just over an hour from Combles to Ypres so easily doable. :thumb2

Has anyone used Cherry blossom B&B in Ypres?

Crossing

the Channel

I tend to use Norfolk line Dover to Dunkirk. Clean boats good rachet tie downs with seat pads and most of all a good price Food not bad either.

Oh and not full of booze cruise scuzzball tanked up pedestrians

Was about £45 return for 2 passengers avec la Moto

Frank

Last time I used Lammedos I called them on the phone

Jona, we have stayed at Varlet Farm many times and can highly reccomend it.
www.varletfarm.com

It is only about 3-4 miles out of Ypres centre. The host, Charlotte is really nice and will happily give advise on the local area and history. They even have a small on site WW1 museum which is very interesting. Secure, covered parking for the bikes, and a great choice of beers in the fridge :beerjug: If visiting Ypres, you absolutely must visit the Menen Gate for the Last Post, it's a really moving experience.

Back
Top Bottom