Top Box problem

hugh jarrs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 48ltr BMW top box wont lock. When i push the key home the handle pops out but on closing it doesnt lock closed. Anyone had similar problems ?

I just re-read your post. I can't see 'locked' would be your problem. Sorry - it's Friday afternoon!

Really like to help but not sure I understand your problem. When the Key Barrel "Slot" is in the vertical position, this is unlocked and pushing on the barrel (don't push on the key when engaged in the lock) releases the lever which springs partially out. Pull all the way out to release the locking mechanism. To lock, push the lever down firmly then engage the key and turn 90 degrees to the horizontal. Lid should now be locked. Just noticed that you say "48" Litre Top Box. I presume that you mean 49 Litre Top Box and that that if there is a 48 Litre version the mechanism is the same.

Last edited:
Top Box.

Ive tried everyway to get it to lock but it wont. Was hoping someone would say this had happened to them and it was an easy/cheap fix.

Are you saying that when you follow the sequence as in my post above it didn't lock or are you saying that the key won't turn to the horizontal position.

Take it to a dealer and get them to change the lock barrel.
Mine packed up on holiday a couple months ago and wouldn't unlock, then after a bit of fiddling the whole barrel of the lock came out on the key. I went to the Motorrad dealer in Challons, France on a busy saturday morning and they couldn't have been more helpful.

It was one of those jobs where you're in someone else's hands and have to wait as long as it takes and pay whatever they want. They put some other work to one side to sort me out while I waited, and the salesman made me a coffee and offered a go on their new GSA Demonstrator.

30 minutes and £30 later I was on my way again a lot happier.

It just wont lock closed. Push the key in and the flap pops out but on closing it opens by just lifting the lid. Due a service in 1000 miles they'll fix it at Alan Jefferies ...... for a few quid ! Thanks for the interest.

Back
Top Bottom