Drz400

robjet

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a drz400 to try my hand at abit of light green laning are they any good ? The bike I'm looking at is 3k. low milage ,rode around the roads today and it seemed ok

Thinking of buying a drz400 to try my hand at abit of light green laning are they any good ? The bike I'm looking at is 3k. low milage ,rode around the roads today and it seemed ok

yes they are v good....the "e" version is the best with road kit fitted!

engine unbreakable.....usually.
few mods like gearchange lever shaft bearing can fail and needs replacement to avoid embarrasing oil leeks etc....

There are better but they are great, i love mine. They are always getting nicked so the crims must rate them.

Great thanks , it's an "sm" version I'm looking at its got the super moto look to it Im just gonna throw some dual Purpose tyre on it so it will ride ok on & off road

If you want to greenlaning, buy an S or n E rather than an SM, you'll be limited by tyre choice.

DRZ's are reliable, valve clearances rarely move and as with all bikes, there a couple of essential mods, the main one is to replace the mild steel spacer that sits behind the front sprocket with a stainless version plus new O'ring, oil seal & tab washer.

There are better but they are great, i love mine. They are always getting nicked so the crims must rate them.

Fekkin tell me about it !:blast

I bought Peejays DRZ. Trailered it home from Bristol to Sheffield, put into my garage and had the bastid nicked 5 days later, and before I'd had chance to ride it. :mad:

Rob, check out the Insurance too mate before you buy. Had a hell of a job getting Insurance. My own Multibike Policy with Bennetts wouldn't add the DRZ without adding over another £200 to my original £130 policy payment.
I ended up getting it Insured on a seperate policy...on the morning that it got fekkin nicked !:eek:

other than tyres what are the difference between the models then ?

S - Road biased. Fully road legal.
E - Enduro spec. 'Sort of' road legal but most 2nd hand ones will have been made fully legal. Bit more power and a bit lighter (and IIRC slightly better suspension?).
SM - As S but with 17" wheels. Not really suitable for laning.

I had the best of both worlds, an E spec DRZ and some cheap 17" wheels off ebay. A 30 min job to turn it from a green laner into a SM :thumb2

Andres

E:-
Not road legal from new importation
Plastic tank
No rear subframe
Single seater
Grease nipples on linkages
Higher compression ratio
FCR pump carb
No emission/heater sh!te
Low final drive ratios
Seat/airbox differences to cut induction noise emissions

S:-
Road legal from new importation
Steel tank
Road lighting/indicators
CV carb
Rad fan
Full clocks/trip
Mirrors
Rear pegs

SM:-
As 'S' but with 17" wheels
Upsidedown forks.
320mm front disc.
Coned silencer casing.
Front fender in supermoto style.

Do not waste your time and money trying to convert an SM into a trail bike. It is a lot more complex than just fitting 21"/18" wheels. The larger front brake rota will cause a 21" wheel with trail tyres to lock up on tarmac, never mind wet mud.....

S - Road biased. Fully road legal.
E - Enduro spec. 'Sort of' road legal but most 2nd hand ones will have been made fully legal. Bit more power and a bit lighter (and IIRC slightly better suspension?).
SM - As S but with 17" wheels. Not really suitable for laning.

I had the best of both worlds, an E spec DRZ and some cheap 17" wheels off ebay. A 30 min job to turn it from a green laner into a SM :thumb2

Andres

Yep and I bought this DRZe from Andres. Cracking bike. But I only owned it for 2 weeks before it got nicked. Scrotes. My own fault as didn't use adequate locks.

Rob, check out the Insurance too mate before you buy.

I did a quote on go compare and it was just over £100 ,I though that was ok only had a license for just over 2 years and 2 years no claims

all the stories off they get nicked though are putting me off now thou

all the stories off they get nicked though are putting me off now thou

All dirt bikes run the risk of getting nicked, don't let such a possibility stop you going greenlaning. Buy the bike & take the necessary precautions. Bear in mind that some parts of the country are worse than others for bike theft in general.

Back
Top Bottom