Tyre Mileage Comparison

Mightytharg

Reaction score
2010 GSA - spending 98% of it's time 1 up with panniers fitted commuting approx 500 miles a week on the same roads; a mix of motorway, dual carriageway, windy country roads and a little bit of town work.

Tourance EXPs - 3000 miles, wore unevenly, squared off fast and I hated them
Roadsmarts - 4500 on the back, still some miles left on front but got a deal on
Pilot Road 1s - 6500 miles on the back and I'm replacing it - has a miles left but not many whilst front looks good for a couple more k.

I'll be mostly sticking with the PR1s for now.

Pardon my maths; also I was a bit tardy in getting the new tyre fitted so the rear Pilot Road 1 did almost 8k before being replaced.

At the end there was still visible tread on the centre and the tyre hadnt squared off as badly as the roadsmart and tourance had.

So I'm quite impressed.

Conti trail attack, 13,230 miles.:) 1150 GS commuting 50 miles a day.

2010 GSA - spending 98% of it's time 1 up with panniers fitted commuting approx 500 miles a week on the same roads; a mix of motorway, dual carriageway, windy country roads and a little bit of town work.

Tourance EXPs - 3000 miles, wore unevenly, squared off fast and I hated them
Roadsmarts - 4500 on the back, still some miles left on front but got a deal on
Pilot Road 1s - 6500 miles on the back and I'm replacing it - has a miles left but not many whilst front looks good for a couple more k.

I'll be mostly sticking with the PR1s for now.

Very useful, good comparisons, would you be so kind as to run some PR3's and TR91's, I love the Roadsmarts but quite fancy the new fandango Michelins, but only if they last a bit better, I am also tempted to get the off-road look back and the TR91's are what I quite fancy - thanks :thumb

Fitted TR91s last month, just got back from 2700 mile blat over to Croatia and back and the TRs are showing low wear, and not as much squaring off as the EXPs I had on before. Also, surprisingly maybe coming from an 1200ADV rider, I can report they were excellent in the wet....

Conti Trail Attcks - KTM 990 Adv

6000 miles to Turkey and back and they are hardly worn. Rear just starting to show flattening.

They do loose grip on tortoises though !

Very useful, good comparisons, would you be so kind as to run some PR3's and TR91's, I love the Roadsmarts but quite fancy the new fandango Michelins, but only if they last a bit better, I am also tempted to get the off-road look back and the TR91's are what I quite fancy - thanks :thumb

PR3 rears last the same as PR2 rears IME. They're the same tyre after all, just with new tread patterns.

Think my PR1 front is up to around 8K now and needs replacing when the wet/damp comes.

Though I'll should be able to bore for Britain on the PR3s front and rear on a 2012 GS, if all goes to plan.

... which just goes to show that tyre reviews are incredibly flawed because we all ride differently. :)

... which just goes to show that tyre reviews are incredibly flawed because we all ride differently. :)

Same rider, same roads but different tyres gives useful info on mileage.

Surprised how much longer the PR1's lasted over the Roadsmarts, especially as Dunlop claimed they had a longer life backed up by "independant" tests.

I got through a Roadsmart in about 4k, the front was still good, but I fitted pair for my tour, this rear lasted 4k as well (with the the front still very good)

Just stuck another Roadsmart on the back and I reckon the front will probably see it through, but still have half worn spare front.

When I was a lad two rears to a front was normal, looks like I may be back to those happy days.

Re a similar post in Conti Attack
Just got back from a 7,000 mile blast around Europe, having fitted a brand new set of Trail Attacks before I went... I've used TA for the last few years and I'm extremely pleased with them.
I attach a photo to show you how the rear looks after 7k, compared to a new one.
There's 12mm of tread on the new TA in the centre, and 3mm on the used one.
There's 9mm of tread on the new TA at the edge, and 5mm on the used one... I was trying as hard as I dare on the twisties, did about 100 miles off-road and only a few hours in the wet.
In the past, I've used Tourances and Anakees, but I rate these as the best all-rounders so far.
On this trip I ran the pressures up near the maximum recommended... 2.9 bar rear, 2.5 bar front. I'm near 130kg. fully kitted up and I carry a tank bag and a bag strapped onto the rear rack, so I'm what you might call "fully-loaded"
Now that they're worn, they tend to "rumble" a bit when I'm over on the edges... I can feel it through the bars. I think the feathering (the front edge of one block wearing more than the adjacent rear edge of the block in front) is due to hard braking rather than normal wear when cornering etc... no loss of grip.
click

Re a similar post in Conti Attack
Just got back from a 7,000 mile blast around Europe, having fitted a brand new set of Trail Attacks before I went... I've used TA for the last few years and I'm extremely pleased with them.
I attach a photo to show you how the rear looks after 7k, compared to a new one.

Giles is right though, we rode 7k miles to Ulaanbaatar.
On the 2 bikes using Trail Attacks you could still see the writing on the tread!!! My Tourances had worn slightly more.

Normally I'm lucky to get 5k for general riding.

Are you sure they cme with 12mm ?

New Roadsmarts have less than 6mm, and in my experience bike tyres typically come with 4-7 mm from new, 12mm sounds extremely generous to me.

Are you sure they cme with 12mm ?

New Roadsmarts have less than 6mm, and in my experience bike tyres typically come with 4-7 mm from new, 12mm sounds extremely generous to me.

How very dare you question my measurements :rob

To be absolutely certain, I've just been and checked... ooops! You're correct :blush

I was reading 12 units off the 1/32" scale... so that'll be 9.5mm then... sorry!

Thanks for this. I have always wondered about fitting road tyres....

I have been using Maxxis detours and am now on the second of each front and rear, the last ones lasted 12416 for the front and 8235 for the rear.

Tourance EXPs from new on 2010 GSA, lasted 9,500 miles before I changed both. They still had some tread left but changed them anyway during the service.

Since I'm only getting half the mileage on the rear tyre than many posters on this thread (5k from Battlewings and Conti trail Attacks, 4.5K from Roadsmarts) I'm wondering if I should complain to BMW and see if I can get some sort of upgrade for it under goodwill? :D

another positive for Trail Attacks...back recently from 7000 mile trip to and round Morocco..off road over Dades and Todra Gorge...and i reckon got another 4-5000 miles in them at this rate, never had more than about 4000 miles on anything else..grip fine and most of the trip was 2 up fully loaded!

Back
Top Bottom