Morning from wannabe BMW owner

markbeemer

Reaction score
Morning, I'm Mark from Warrington. I currently ride a 1999 Triumph Daytona 955i. Awesome engine, but not really suited to touring or riding in and around town. I've had a few Triumphs, including a 2009 Speed Triple. Unfortunately, my job isn't too secure, so I sold the Triple to rid me of any finance.

I've ridden a 1200 GS and a 1200 adventure (both belong to friends who use this site). I was amazed at the way they both handled (shouldn't be possible! :D)

My other half rides a 2005 Suzuki SV650 but doesn't get out much so we're thinking of selling both of our bikes and buying a BMW of some kind.

Thought it would be worth joining the site to get an idea of what people think of the different models in the range.

Anyway, cheers :beerjug: and will see you around

Welcome to the site - there's plenty here to advise you.

You'll need to specify your budget and requirements.

If funds are low:
touring - low milage 1100RT
commuting - 650 or 800
For the GS experience a good 1100GS

Reasonable:
RTW trip - get a 800GS
Touring - enjoy the 1200GSA - a very complete bike which will do all you ask and more and give you that "Judge Dredd" buzz every time you ride.

If your mum died and you want to burn carbon in style!
K1600GT SE :bounce1:bounce1

Personally I have always liked BMW bikes and have a good relationship with my local dealer (so I should, I must have paid for the building by now!).
BMW quality dipped for cars and bikes through 2000-2010 but I think they are now back on the mark.

From what I have seen, the bikes on offer on this site have been good buys.

enjoy.

Thank you for your reply.. Will have to see what we can get for both bikes as I really don't want to get into using finance if I can help it. My job may come to an end in April next year so got to be careful what I take on.

I'm thinking maybe £4-5k at a push. I'm not very familiar with all the model numbers but will have a look around. The bike would have to do mainly weekend rideouts, some touring and some commuting, although i'll be using the car when the weather is rough! Ideally, I'd like to find a bike we can both ride comfortably, but this might not be possible as i am 6'1" and my better half is more like 5'3ish. Gemma has one requirement... that the pillion seat and seating position is more comfortable than the Daytona I have now. The bike will need to be big enough to carry the 2 of us and some luggage.

I really like the GS Adventure styling and the way they ride, but not sure my budget will stretch to one that hasn't been to the moon and back. A good mate of mine had an 1150 GSA and said that is one of the best bikes he has owned.

I'm not really a big fan of the big, faired cruisers and would prefer something with a little less plastic and the go-anywhere look. I like the look of the F800 and have sat on a few, but not sure they are really big enough for the 2 of us and luggage - Part of me wanting a BMW is for the boxer engine too as I found it really good to ride. I'm a fan of toruqe and grunt over high rpm's and going up and down the gearbox like i'm doing the Riverdance!

I like the look of the R1100S but haven't sat on one.

That money would get you a decent 1150 if you can find one. There has been quite a few on here recently.

Do i have to subscribe or get a higher post count to get into the For Sale listings? It keeps saying I don't have permission to view the threads :nenau

Subscribe for the For Sale Items

Well worth the £12

You should get a good 1150 gs and luggage for your budget.

Frank

Advice also is dont get hung up on age. I just sold a 04 GS which is in much better nic that the 06 GSA Ive just got. I would think that most on here are the types to look after their bikes and although there is no formal feedback a la ebay the shit would fly thick and fast if someone shafted someone else. Enjoy it whatever you get. If you want to chat I work 15 mins from you. Good luck mate

Hi Mark, R1100S is a very comfy sports tourer, but not so handy round town. The pillion seat is reasonably comfy, and it can take two full-size BMW system panniers, but the pillion doesn't get a grab rail or handles, just a couple of slots in the tail. Also, there don't seem to be many around s/h these days.

All the big GS's are massively comfy for rider and pillion, although as always, take a good test ride to be sure. The 1100 GS is fine, but the 1150 has a 6-speed box which makes for better m-way cruising. Any GS can carry loads of gear, but the best thing about them is that carrying a pillion and luggage doesn't really affect the handling, and they're still plenty of fun for the rider, instead of terrifyingly wobbly.

On the downside, they are a bit big, tall and heavy, although the weight is low, and they're surprisingly agile & wieldly once you get used to them. Still might be a bit of an issue for your lady however.

Also, if you're used to the brilliant Trumpet triple engine, the boxer twin might feel a bit agricultural at first, but it does suit the bike very well.

[Heresy warning] - have you considered a Sprint ST? Loads of jellymould ones around at nice prices these days, so the other half can lug some of the gear on her SV :D

Best wishes for your next bike(s) anyway.

Thanks for the tips Pip_UK. I reckon a Sprint would be a good choice but i'm not a fan of the styling. To be honest, I like naked bikes or bikes with a Streetfighter look. I bought my Daytona just to see how riding a head down, bum up bike would feel and I do love the Triumph Triple engines. However, the answer is uncomfortable! :D

Really fancy a GS or GSA. They look daunting, but once on board I feel quite at home. Last time i took my mates bike out, i looked like a bit of a learner rider when i came to a standstill as he had the seat on the highest setting. It meant I was on the tips of my toes, even with Gemma on the back! Bit scary with all that weight to hold up! :eek: but that was my fault for not asking about how to lower the seat!

The R1100S is just a little less daunting looking and I do like the looks of them. You're right though, not many around.

I'm in Penketh, Warrington.

Do i have to subscribe or get a higher post count to get into the For Sale listings? It keeps saying I don't have permission to view the threads :nenau

I'm afraid you'll have to subscribe to see and have full access rights to the FS&W section of the forum markbeemer but its well worth the £12 for a years subscription.

I've posted a link below should you wish to take advantage of it :

http://www.ukgser.com/subscriptions.htm

If you click on it it will give you a bit more information on what a fully subscribed member can do. :thumb2

Enjoy your stay with us :)

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the site.
As your most probabley aware advice and reliable information is never very far away here and £12 to subscribe will be the best £12 a year you'll spend.

So here's my 2 penneth.

Firstly don't get confused by the 1100gs 1150gs and 1200gs banter,because that's mainly what it is,banter.
All three are great bikes just different and neither will dissappoint.

Although my last 2 gs's have been 1200's I have had the others and if I had 4-5k to spend I'd be looking for a very nice late 1150 rather than a less nice early 1200.
Take your time don't rush and for that money you'll get a cracking late 1150
be it standard or adventure.

R1100s, cracking bike I've had 5 and will no doubt have another,but the gs is a much better alround prospect is just as quick,and a more capable tourer,and much better on the tight knarley B roads,which as a gs owner you'll come to love.

Just to throw a spanner in the works and confuse you a bit more have you considered an R1100/1150RS?
Great bike and some lovely ones for around your budget.

Happy Hunting,

Steve

Back
Top Bottom