Saying goodbye to the GS

Paul_Bly

Whilst going to Oulton Park for the BSB on Sunday, I was cought in someone elses inccident.

My GS was in for a 12K service and I had a K1200GT Loan bike. Only found out after the accident that my BM insuance is TP only for other peoples bikes, so am now facing a £3000 repair bill.

The only way to pay? Sell the GS...

Always the way --->

The car I hit (30 yards after exiting a limited view right hander) had only just managed to stop short of hitting the B***H comeing the otherway, who had decided that a good place to overtake two cyclists was on the approch to a blind corner. I didn't quite manage to stop, and left a K1200 size dent in the back of the Audi A6.

PS.

Soon to be the owner of a '91 LandRover Discovery 2.5TDi, which means I can still play in the puddles...

Paul Blythe

Sorry to hear this Paul, at least you are ok.

Bad Luck

I hope that your not totally bike less ? an old run around is better than nothing.

I had to down size for finance a few years ago and got an old DR it was still great fun.

Bad Luck, hope that your back on two wheels again soon.

:(

Blame..

Hi Paul,.. it sounds like the cause of the problem was idiot overtaking. If so.. cant you get them to pay for it somehow.
As otherwise the car infront wouldnt have had to stop sharply and in a dangerous manner..

Might be worth speeking to a legal person on it if you havent already.
Glad your ok though. ..

Good luck..

Thanks all

The Lady car driver and the two cyclists did a runner while I was picking my self up of the floor, leaving the Audi driver and myself to sort things out and curse our (my) bad luck.

I might try the police as the two cyclists were part of an organised road race taking place around Nantwich/Crewe.

Bike wise... For the moment my Uncle is loaning me a Discovery (to be payed for when the GS is sold), and I'll get another bike as / when I can afford it, in ..... years time. :confused:

All I can say is that the GS is the best bike I've ever had, and I can't wait to get another one.

Paul Blythe
(IAM & RoSPA member)

Paul_Bly said:
Whilst going to Oulton Park for the BSB on Sunday, I was cought in someone elses inccident.

My GS was in for a 12K service and I had a K1200GT Loan bike. Only found out after the accident that my BM insuance is TP only for other peoples bikes, so am now facing a £3000 repair bill.

The only way to pay? Sell the GS...

Always the way --->

The car I hit (30 yards after exiting a limited view right hander) had only just managed to stop short of hitting the B***H comeing the otherway, who had decided that a good place to overtake two cyclists was on the approch to a blind corner. I didn't quite manage to stop, and left a K1200 size dent in the back of the Audi A6.

PS.

Soon to be the owner of a '91 LandRover Discovery 2.5TDi, which means I can still play in the puddles...

Paul Blythe
wasn't the loan bike covered by the dealers insurance???????

Williams Manchester get you to sign a form saying your responsible for any damage, and my own BMW insurance is Fully Comp for the GS, and TP only for any other bike.

judge said:
Is that normal up norf - down sarf I have signed to accept a £300 & £600 excess on dealers insurance at Prestige and SPC :confused:
My dealers have a £600 excess and the coverage is Comp as far as im aware, and thats Scotland

Pete A

Paul_Bly said:
Williams Manchester get you to sign a form saying your responsible for any damage, and my own BMW insurance is Fully Comp for the GS, and TP only for any other bike.

Bet you wish you took theBMW C1 loan bike!:(

Bad luck. Hope you are O.K.

Hate to say it but even if the other car was found I don't think there is much the Police could do as she wasn't directly involved in the accident just the cause! (I might be wrong).

My BMW Insurance used to cover me on a loan bike under the same conditions as my own (ie Comprehensive, £250 excess) so long as the loan bike wasn't of a higher insurance group.

Since I almost always had F650s as loan bikes, this wasn't a problem. Perhaps people should check the small print of their policies, as a result of Paul's unfortunate experience...

Mike:(

Eh..

Paul, are you sure on the insurance of the loan bike.. I had one from them and i am sure.. its something like you pay the first £900 of the claim..I may be wrong, but sure it was something like that.

Paul if you havent reported it to the police, you really should do,.. that way you may not have to pay for it, till the police have failed to catch the offenders, thus buying you some time maybe to sort finances out a bit.

Just an idea.. sounds like you had it rough there mate..

I'm off to Williams on Saturday, so I'll ask to see the small print on the form I signed, just in case. :jibber

Excess

judge said:
Is that normal up norf - down sarf I have signed to accept a £300 & £600 excess on dealers insurance at Prestige and SPC :confused:
Same thing with Pidcocks BMW, you have to sign to say you will pay the first £500 excess.

Hope you get it sorted, glad your ok.

Regards Joe.

The bike is now up for sale through Auto Trader.

As for the claim...

Williams had thought my insurance had been trancefered to the loan bike, which they have done in the past, but on this occation the bike was covered by there own insurance. Which is full comp'.

As there policy is not worded clearly, I have to ring them on Monday to find out if I am only liable for the first £1000, or £1000 plus the £3000 damage to the bike (Williams weren't sure and have to check with there legal people). If it's the later, I will continue to pursue the claim through my own insurance.

I await the outcome, but the bike is still going, as it's covering the cost of the bill. :(

That's really bad luck. Hope you're not GS'less for too long.

In my experience an insurance company will always hold you accountable if you go into the back of someone. Having said that I hope you manage to get something out of 'em - the robbing B******s!

Paul,

Check with BMW insurance again. Mine is up for renewal so I asked what cover you get for a courtesy bike. They said you are allowed 4 days fully comp per year for this purpose if your bike is serviced at a BMW dealer.

Are you still doing Saturday with Terry.

regards...Rob

Back
Top Bottom