places to stay, berlin, kracow, prague

de crowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know this is almost lazy, but i am heading off monday and wonder if anyone has any recommendations for these cities. i see some on another thread recommendations for kracow. Our rough itineray, Galway to Harwich,ride from Hook of Holland for one night in Berlin, two nights Kracow, two nights polish/ukrainian border(attending social event), one night Prague, back to Hook of Holland and onwards to ireland

Any help greatly appreciated.

I know this is almost lazy, but i am heading off monday and wonder if anyone has any recommendations for these cities. i see some on another thread recommendations for kracow. Our rough itineray, Galway to Harwich,ride from Hook of Holland for one night in Berlin, two nights Kracow, two nights polish/ukrainian border(attending social event), one night Prague, back to Hook of Holland and onwards to ireland

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many years ago (well, 5 or six I guess) a bunch of tossers went off on a tour of WW2 sites....we stayed in a nice hotel in Krakow, but I cant remember the name I'm afraid.....if you do a bit of a search here for the thread, probably started by Greg Masters and including 'Aushwitz' and 'Zagan' in the search , it should turn up I guess....IIRC, there was a GPS log on it as well which may help with finding the hotel

If you need a bike friendly stopover in Harwich on the way down, let me know..I'm half a mile from the port and can put you up :beerjug:

In Berlin I would always use the Novotel Suitehotel just a stroll away from Potsdamer Platz, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburger Tor etc.

Super rooms reasonably priced, but most valuable of all - especially with a bike, a secure underground car park. :) But which costs 12 Euros per 24 hours. :eek But still worth it in central Berlin!

We stayed there for the second time a couple of weeks ago for two nights - not long enough, Berlin's brilliant!

If you were to be visiting Auschwitz, the hotel Kaminiec in Oswiecim, near to the camp, is interesting and very good value. It gives the impression of being officer's quarters from the war, even down to Bakelite radios in the rooms...

thanks

thanks for the info and especially the kind offer. we intend to "do"the camps and the salt mines. Unfortunately berlin i think will be a short stop along the way thanks again and i welcome any further suggestions

The hotels in Berlin are expensive next weekend as the marathon is on - I'm there Weds to Sat for a meeting, so looking forward to seeing the sights as it's my first visit :aidan

A little trip.

Bin the bike when your there and buy a local travel ticket.

I used to live in Berlin and the local transport is fantastic.

We went back two years ago and a three day all public transport ticket was about 32 Euros with loads of discounted entry tickets to sights. U/S Bahn, Its the only way to travel.

Check the link. Its really good value, clean and loads of seats. And theres no chance of getting mugged.

https://buchung2.visitberlin.de/onlineshop/kategorie.jsp?id=9

In Berlin I would always use the Novotel Suitehotel just a stroll away from Potsdamer Platz, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburger Tor etc.
+1 for the Suitehotel, big rooms, reasonable price and handy for all of the above.

Budget accommodation - Krakow

Krakow is a beautiful place. You don't say what your budget is, but if you don't need the luxuries of a hotel, you could try the "Free Hostel", Starowiślna Street 32, 31-032 Krakow.

The room we had was a triple (family) room with a private en-suite shower. Pretty basic, but clean and cheap ... and very central - about 10 mins walk from the main square.

Parking wasn't an issue. Not private or secure, but we parked on the pavement opposite the hostel where we could see the bikes from our room, and we chained them together.

There are so many places to visit in Prague. I think these places are the beautiful locations to visit and enjoy in weekends. Some of them are like Castle and Golden Lane, Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock, St. Vitus Cathedral

Prague

Recommend Jan Hus House as reasonable priced place to stay- plus secure parking in middle of town. - beware notorious one way systems that seemed t change each time I went.

Svata Klara is one of best restaurants in the country check out the website.

If staying several days then buy a transport pass as tram and metro easy to use.

Food and beer cheaper away from main areas.

:beerjug:

Are you visiting Terezenstadt when in Prague.

There are so many places to visit in Prague. I think these places are the beautiful locations to visit and enjoy in weekends. Some of them are like Castle and Golden Lane, Charles Bridge, Astronomical Clock, St. Vitus Cathedral

I went in October and they are beautiful, but the city is very compact and you only need a day there. Same for Berlin unless you're going to visit all the museums :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom