R1150GS faulty side stand switch?

west coast traveller

Reaction score
Following a strip down and clean of the starter motor the next time I tried to start the bike starter motor turning over but engine not firing. I moved it of the side stand and onto the centre stand and bike started fine. Same again this morning not starting on the stand then firing up when centre stand used or side stand moved into down position a few times. I took starter motor off to check if any wired trapped and then took side stand switch off to clean any muck off. Symptoms still persisting so more than likely knackered switch methinks. However despite searching high and low I can't find the connector block end of the switch to test for continuity. Can anyone tell me where it's usually located please?

The bike should start in neutral no matter what position the sidestand, have you tried this ?

The bike should start in neutral no matter what position the sidestand, have you tried this ?

Your right and I've now re read the circuit diagram which helps! Think I'll swap over some relays next time it does it- just now there was a delay in firing after which it fired up several times consecutively with no problems.

Neutral indication is the other possibility, have you tried pulling clutch in, side stand up then starting.

Neutral indication is the other possibility, have you tried pulling clutch in, side stand up then starting.

Tried that and it didn't make any difference. Usual problem with intermittent faults- you have to wait till they stop working again so you can test them.................thanks for the advice, it's already made me double check what I'm doing.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom