CWG Disgrace

Monty Stubble

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a recent trip to the Pyrenees (August) I was saddened to see the state of the Commonwealth War grave in Bilbao. Mostly sailors and airmen from WW2 but a few WW1 as well.

Firstly the outer gate was locked so it was over the wall. The inner gate was also stuck shut but succumbed to a good kicking from my size 10 Alt-Bergs. Once inside I was shocked. Knee high grass, no flowers and the stones all grubby.

The book inside the cemetary said it had been visited in May and that the visitors were also saddened by the state of it. More so as they were visiting a relly.

So far I have fired off 2 emails to the CWGC and have received no reply.

What's going on? Anyone else been there?

Sad to hear about the state of the cemetry - surprised as I though that CWG cemetries were all kept in tip-top condition.

Surprised also at why someone would have a need to kick open a cemetry gate which was clearly locked :nenau

Sad to hear about the state of the cemetry - surprised as I though that CWG cemetries were all kept in tip-top condition.

Surprised also at why someone would have a need to kick open a cemetry gate which was clearly locked :nenau

for a school master,your reading is terrabul...........

" Firstly the outer gate was locked so it was over the wall. The inner gate was also stuck shut but succumbed to a good kicking from my size 10 Alt-Bergs "
:blast ------STUCK SHUT------CLEARLY NOT LOCKED

for a school master,your reading is terrabul...........

" Firstly the outer gate was locked so it was over the wall. The inner gate was also stuck shut but succumbed to a good kicking from my size 10 Alt-Bergs "
:blast ------STUCK SHUT------CLEARLY NOT LOCKED

Stuck gates, locked gates - he ho
The initial locked gate would have made me think that maybe the gate was locked for a reason?

Anyway...just scanned your qr thingy!! :D

Stuck gates, locked gates - he ho
The initial locked gate would have made me think that maybe the gate was locked for a reason?

Anyway...just scanned your qr thingy!! :D

;)..:beerjug:

The cemetery was supposed to be open ... as are all CWGC sites. It shouldn't become an epic to get in.

Firstly the outer gate was locked so it was over the wall.

Don't know what time you were there but the cemetery opens at 10am. That's probably according to the Spanish clock.

Attachments

• Bilbao%20British%20Cemetery.jpg
    Bilbao%20British%20Cemetery.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 652
Nice photo - nothing like the reality I'm afraid.

I was there early afternoon.

+ 3 emails to the CWGC - no reply!

Finally got a reply out of them...

"First of all I wish to apologise for our delay in replying to you.

We probably had a problem with the server and your email was blocked somewhere.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience you’ve experienced while visiting Spain and in particular Bilbao War Cemetery.

We are aware of the bad state of the war graves plot that unfortunately was linked to huge problems with local authorities.

In order to rectify the situation our Director went to Spain and appointed a contractor that is now carrying out the needed maintenance to reach the standards requested by CWGC.

I’ve emailed him this morning asking for some photos of the site, that hopefully I will be able to forward them to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime if there is anything I can do please contact me immediately."

The power of :type

Good that you have persevered with your emails to let the CWGC know of the problem. I am quite sure that they will make every effort to restore the Cemetery to their normal high standards as soon as possible.

It's a shame that this has happened at this particular location. I have visited quite a few over the years and they have always been maintained to a very high standard.

Finally got a reply out of them...

"First of all I wish to apologise for our delay in replying to you.

We probably had a problem with the server and your email was blocked somewhere.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience you’ve experienced while visiting Spain and in particular Bilbao War Cemetery.

We are aware of the bad state of the war graves plot that unfortunately was linked to huge problems with local authorities.

In order to rectify the situation our Director went to Spain and appointed a contractor that is now carrying out the needed maintenance to reach the standards requested by CWGC.

I’ve emailed him this morning asking for some photos of the site, that hopefully I will be able to forward them to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime if there is anything I can do please contact me immediately."

The power of :type

Super response.

Now all CWGC have to do it find the cash for the Director's air fare to and from Bilbao, his hotel expenses and the local contractor's fees and all will be sweetness again.

I understand the CWGC monitor the register at each site and fund accordingly - bit unfair if that's the case if you have family in there.

Reminder to all - rather than walk having read other people's remarks please make an entry in the book of your visit!

I understand the CWGC monitor the register at each site and fund accordingly - bit unfair if that's the case if you have family in there.

Reminder to all - rather than walk away having read other people's remarks please make an entry in the book of your visit!

Fixed an error and yes I totally agree, sign the register.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom