2002 R1150GS Transmission(?) Problem

gixernick

Reaction score
I've just done a major service on it as it's coming up for 70,000 miles. Everything was going swimmingly when I decided to runn it in gear on the centre stand to warm the final drive oil and gear box oil prior to changing them.
The rear wheel seemed to spin very lumpy wasn't very noisy but almost seemed to surge, like it was missing but the engine is running sweet as a nut, new plugs, filter, valves regapped, end float done etc. There doesn't seem to be any bearing type play in the rear wheel, hands at 12 and 6 then 3 and 9. No swarf in either oil. When I looked in the final drive by the rear hub through the filler hole there was no obvious damage to the helical flat gear.
Any ideas?

This is normal to see when you run the engine in gear on the center stand, take it out of gear and you will find it will stop :D
Best advice is not to run the bike in gear on the centre stand :thumb2

The idea of running it in gear to warm the F/D & Gearbox oil is also a poor one I,m afraid,
Your engine will overheat and catch fire before your gear oil gets hot:eek:

Ride it for 20 miles if you want to warm the oils :thumb

angle

also remember the shaft has joints either side and they won't run normally at the angle as it's on the main stand chances are when you ride it on the road to warm the oil up the noise will have gone :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom