New fuelling map coming

Tobers

Reaction score
Mine is in for a 6k service today. The v.nice service crew at Vines (much better since the previous chap left) have told me that a new software update is soon to be generally available which has a new fuelling map on it.

The new map is meant to get rid of the lumpy idle, and also sort out the "lunge" on the overrun at 2500rpm.

My bike was updated with the new map today as Vines have a "pre-release" CD of the new software. I pick it up tomorrow so I'll report back on any improvement.

YUP , pick up mine tommorrow and roll on Germany next month for a few laps around the ring

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Picked up the bike from Vines this morning and I'm happy to report that:

1) the "flat spot" at about 4-5k rpm has completely vanished. It now pulls beautifully smoothly all the way through the rev range and goes like a train.

2) the "lunging" on the overrun at about 2500 rpm is no longer noticeable so it looks like they've got that overfuelling problem sorted.

3) it idles more evenly.

So, looks like the latest software update is the thing to have.

Hoorah :D

Tobers said:

1) the "flat spot" at about 4-5k rpm has completely vanished. It now pulls beautifully smoothly all the way through the rev range and goes like a train.

2) the "lunging" on the overrun at about 2500 rpm is no longer noticeable so it looks like they've got that overfuelling problem sorted.

3) it idles more evenly.

Do you know if there is a version number or similar? I am keen to get the new map as I have noticed these issues, but I would like to make sure I get the right one.

Also, any idea how long it takes to upload? I'm picking up panniers from Park Lane tomorrow and if it's a 5 minute job will ask them to update the map.

Bonj

Tobers said:

3) it idles more evenly.

good to hear that, mine has gone in for its 6k and they are loading the new software. Interestingly it also cures the problem of flat batteries when fitted with an alarm. Not a problem for me cos don't have an alarm fitted.

Had mine done

Mine was in Vines yesterday to have the brakes looked at. I mentioned also that the engine felt a bit lumpy now and they uploaded the new map while it was there.

The engine certainly feels a lot stronger now, not sure about it being smoother but we'll see.

Unfortunately the brakes problem doesn't seem to have been resolved but the bike got a wash and a brain update, so not too bad!

The only downside of the new software is that there appears to be a new v.slight snatchyness when going on/off the throttle when using tiny throttle openings - say 1mm from closed.

It's very minor and only just noticeable, but wasn't there before.

The benefits of the new mapping outweigh this small issue though.

Does anyone know if BMW has issued a technical bulletin or anything in print that I can steer my dealer toward since they are un-aware of an update?

You go into the workshop and say.....
I'd like an R-1150-GSA-I-NSTEAD please .... its a standard B^W Upgrade fro the 1200 :D :D :D :D :D :D

schnauzer said:
You go into the workshop and say.....
I'd like an R-1150-GSA-I-NSTEAD please .... its a standard B^W Upgrade fro the 1200 :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm sorry I forgot the 1150GS is the perfect bike with no design flaws and nothing ever goes wrong with it, my bad:D

I'm going in for my 12,000 mile service in a few days, sure would be nice to have some hard facts about this upgrade. Like the BMW assigned service numbers or whatever...

HMarc said:
I'm going in for my 12,000 mile service in a few days, sure would be nice to have some hard facts about this upgrade. Like the BMW assigned service numbers or whatever...
I went into Pidcock's today for the K1200S launch and spoke to the service people about this, at first they didn't really seem to know but then it turns out they have just received a new CD for the 12Gs and they will update my machine in a couple of weeks as I have complained about a surge at 2500RPM.
Maybe the dealers don't really like us knowing about these updates as normally they would wait for the next service and do the update then, it must create quite a lot of extra work when we go along and ask for the update (mine is booked in for two hours to get it done, checked etc., obviously at no cost to me).
This forum is great at getting the info to us and spreading the word, thanks Tobers for starting this thread. I just hope it cures the lurching!

Will this update have be done after the running in period or can it be done before the bike is picked up? Will the new bikes already have it done?

I`m picking mine up on Thursday :D :D :D :D :D

Yellow, black, black, alloys, heated grips :D :D

All I know is that the new software is on a new CD which dealers will have now or shortly. The new stuff is automatically downloaded when the bike is plugged into the computer doo-dah (at every service). I dont know the number/release/version of the software I'm afraid. If your new bike doesn't have it, it should be downloaded at the 600 service automatically.

Plonker pulling must have become an olympic sport now because the latest disc deals with all the software bugs that were in the previous one or so we were told.This majority of stuff on this disc is for the new K1200S.If your bike has been already updated with software from the previous disc and you then try to do the same with the latest one ,it automatically checks the control units first to see if an upgrade is required.It doesn't (as seems to be the common misconception) start an automatic download as soon as the bike is plugged into the machine.
Suspect good old throttle synchronisation has resulted in a smoother running bike for you Tobers. Don't want to rain on your parade ,but its very easy for some people to baffle others with techno babble.:beer:

Back
Top Bottom