Wapping's Wanders 2012 - Verdun, Vosges, Mulhouse - DEFINATE DATES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
Chemin des Dames, Verdun, the Vosges / Black Forest and the Schlumpf museum at Mulhouse

Probably a NINE day jaunt, taking in the August bank holiday

OUT: FRIDAY 24 AUGUST - Reasonably early train

BACK: SUNDAY 02 SEPTEMBER - Early evening train

Some decent roads down from Calais to Verdun. A good chunk of French WW1 around Verdun, followed by a run down to Colmar. From Colmar we can take in the Bugatti collection / Schlumpf museum at Mulhouse, with the Black Forest and Vosges slotted in somewhere for good measure. Then across west to Dijon'ish sort of area and a run up some very reasonable roads to home.

Suggested timetable:

Day 1 Calais to Verdun

Day 2 Verdun - Chemin des Dames

Day 3 Verdun - Fortress etc

Day 4 Verdun to Colmar

Day 5 Colmar - Black Forest rideout

Day 6 Colmar - Vosges rideout

Day 7 Colmar - Mulhouse / Schlumpf museum rideout

Day 8 Colmar to north of Dijon / Cote d'Or

Day 9 Dijon / Cote d'Or to Dover

Richard

PS I am on the case with some hotels. Thread only locked whilst I wait for their responses.

The Verdun hotel has confirmed.

Now waiting for the Colmar hotel (closed for a few days for their autumn break at the moment) and for the Dijon hotel to reply.

The jaunt is on.

Train out: Saturday 25 August - Departs at 07:42

Train back: Sunday 02 September - Departs at 17:50

I have bought my tickets.

=====

Hotels? Still a bit up the air but I reckon:

25 August thro' 27 August: http://www.villagegaulois.com/

28 August thro' 31 August: http://www.aubergedubrand.com/

01 September: http://www.lebourguignon.com/

======

I have reserved:

Two singles (one gone)

Two doubles

Three twins

Please ping up interest (first come first served). I may be able to juggle some rooms about but I don't want to do it every 10 minutes.

=====

Will suit? Anyone who can ride a motorcycle. There will be some chunkyish mileages but there will be suitable stops. I will do Garmin routes for everyone and we'll use the marker 'drop-off' system. Plenty of good riding en-route and when we are at the hotels.

Richard

This looks great but still not sorted out holiday dates with swmbo so better check that before I say yes for sure... but looks like a fun trip :)

Hi Justin,

Great if you can both come along :thumb2

Tell her that you've got the bike (and the locks) and the panniers (and all the bits) so it's best to use 'em properly before they go off.

Richard

swmbo wants a bike too!! she's on Vespa so not going to France on that, but I'm hoping she's do a direct access soon and then we'll get her on an F650 or something :)

not sure she'll be happy on the back yet, and not sure I would be... only been back in the saddle a few weeks... but by then, it's possible...

These trips look a lot of fun so will try and make one of them!

This is looking very tempting :beerjug:

Just need to dot some i's and cross some t's at work.

Hope to confirm next week. Would be interested in sharing a twin if possible. :aidan

This time on a BMW :thumb

Excellent, look forward to hearing from you next week. :thumb2 It would be great to have you along.

I guess I will never see the Buell in action, now.

So.... just looked at the cost of doing Hull to Zebrugge .... two bunks, dinner and breakfast £205

Compared to Holiday Inn Folkestone B&B £80

Sounds like we may be using the tunnel both ways.....

Anyone got any suggestions about where to shack up for the night before?

I don't fancy Dover again.... bloody seagulls at it all night :mad:

But saying that...... I'd bet by the time you've bought your acccomodation, rail crossing and paid for food in Folkestone... only talking about £80 difference :confused:

Hi Bryn,

If you can make it across the evening before there is a great litte equivalent of a B&B at Cap Griz Nez. It's French, naturally, but run by really nice people, the place doubling as the local bar. It's got a cheap but reasonable restaurant, too. We stay there on our way to Le Mans each year and I've used it to drop into on assorted short jaunts with various Tossers just for a snack or a coffee.

They are reluctant to give out their email but I can make you a booking if it suits you. In fact, if you do it, I might be tempted to do the same. We could then alter the run down to Verdun a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom