2610 Lost Sat Signal

Mutley

Hi Chaps,

I was out and about on the bike yesterday, the 1st time using the 2610 on the bike, now I have used it in the Car and have never lost Sat Signal, now I am on the bike using a TT mount and it kept dropping out, and at one point I am going up the A404 major Dual Carriage way to the M40 Handy Cross R-about no signal all the way 3/4miles:mad: I arrive at my meeting point the Hilton just off the R-about.

On the way back it was fine until I hit the A4 to Reading and again it was dropping out, so I am thinking as the Ariel is built in is the TT mount affecting the signal as it has those metal clips that hold it down that go over the top of the unit.

the weather was cloudy and drizzling a bit I was not in any built up areas most of the trip was rural, but in terms of the weather as I understand it that should not affect the unit, any Ideas or do I now need to spend more money and get an external Ariel.

Any ideas

Mutley:confused:

Mutley said:

I am on the bike using a TT mount and it kept dropping out

Hi Mutley,

I hope you don't mean that the 2610 kept dropping out of the mount.

I would have thought that if it worked in the car it should work fine on the bike, surely, lets glass and metal to interefere with the signal.

Hope you get it sorted mate, without any further expense.

Jon

I suggest that you read THIS THREAD in full.

With PanEuropean's useful help, the problem and the resolution is all explained.

Greg

Greg, thanks mate, I wish I had read that earlier I would have bought one,

Any Idea were to get the best ariels from or which type I should buy Pan reckons Mike Os is great any one know which one its, or Mike if your about, I need to get one:rolleyes:

Jon, it seems the TT mount may affect the ariel in the GPS unit buy a different one and that may save you a few quid:(

Mutley

Too late it's ordered!!

Never mind.

Greg, many thanks for the link & help, I use ebay quite a bit but I normally only buy if I know what the product is, the Antenna you bought was it from these guys or are you confident that its OK and a good make. not that it matters for 13 quid:D

if so at that price its a bargain I saw one on the GPS warehouse and they £30-40 pounds plus shiping:eek:

Mutley

Mutley said:
I normally only buy if I know what the product is, the Antenna you bought was it from these guys

I bought from this eBay vendor. Like you I figured that at £13 it was worth a punt. Goods arrived exactly as described.

However, two points:
  1. the lead is too long
  2. and the right-angle connector is a pain to unplug.
    [/list=1]

If I find someone who can shorten the lead and fit a straight connector, I'll probably go for it.

Greg

Jon, it seems the TT mount may affect the ariel in the GPS unit buy a different one and that may save you a few quid:(

Mutley
Mutley I use a TT mount and mine is sat down above the yoke and it is behind all the fairing on my RT. I disabled the WAAS, as suggested by Pan, and I have had great reception, even in the Alps with all those trees and high valley walls.:D
2610mount.jpg

Capt thanks for thatm mine is in a similar place, I used it in the car through some areas I used it in last week without any problem and it stated to do it again, but this time I was in my 52 Plate LWB Shogun, so god knows what is happening.

I have not had any problems until the last 24 hours:mad: so I am a little miffed, I will try the ariel route to see if this sorts me out.

Mutley

Hi Mutley:

I think that all the different models of amplified GPS antennas are pretty much equal in their functionality - I just happen to like the one that Mike O has, because it is the smallest one I have seen. I also know from experience that it works really, really well. I have two of them, one with a BNC connector for the 296, and another with a MCX connector for the 2650.

Although I am pretty sure that Touratech screwed up on their mount design (by putting so much metal on top of the antenna), I encountered a significant improvement in satellite reception with an external antenna, even though I use a Garmin motorcycle mount for my 2650. So, no matter what mount you have - Garmin, Touratech, or someone else's, you will get more consistent performance with an external antenna.

However - if you buy a Garmin motorcycle mount kit, which comes complete with a motorcycle-grade power cable for the GPSR, and you buy an external antenna, you will still have money left over, compared to the cost of buying the Touratech mount alone with no external antenna. I'm not trying to diss Touratech's mount, it's just kind of over-engineered and quite expensive. It is possible, though that if you do a lot of serious off-road riding - over surfaces that loosen the fillings in your teeth - the Touratech mount might be the better choice. I'm pretty inexperienced in that respect - I'm the guy who asked Garmin to put in the 'Avoid Unpaved Roads' software feature...:D

PanEuropean

Pan, do you know were I can get the same ariel as Mike O as the one on ebay has 16ft of cable which is just way to long.

Any pointers to other Ariels or should I just type in the name of the Ariel and see what Google spits out:D

Mutley

Mutley

I bought a low profile GPS Antenna for my 2610 from GPS Warehouse for £24.99 + delivery. part no. ANT-19-MCX. It has a fairly long lead, but I've tucked it up under the silver cover. The antenna is located on the beak and gives great reception. It will still loose satelites if you spend any amount of time under heavy tree cover.

Andrew.

Mutley:

Sorry, I don't know where you could get one - I bought mine from a small company in Western Canada that mostly supplies farmers with GPS equipment. They both came with very long cables, I took one to an avionics shop and had it shortened for use on the motorcycle.

PanEuropean

Mutley said:
Pan, do you know were I can get the same ariel as Mike O as the one on ebay has 16ft of cable which is just way to long.

Any pointers to other Ariels or should I just type in the name of the Ariel and see what Google spits out:D

Mutley

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4668&item=5721273692

He offers a choice of cable lengths: 1 m. 3 m. or 5 m. I have one of these anntenas for my car where I previously used it with an eMap and now with a Snooper S6R Neo. He's also a fine man to deal with......:)

Pan, many thanks for your help once again, you are the Man as they say in the US and I am hoping in Canada to:D

Schtum, brilliant thats exactly what I want just about to order the 1 m version for the bike at least its not 8 or 16 ft of cable:D

And to all the rest, many thanks.

I was out all day yesterday and I only lost Sat signal when I was under the canopy of a petrol station up:D the GPS is brilliant especially when you miss a turn that comes quickly after another one, just re-routes you back on track fantastic:D

I am very chuffed, external antenna should sort out the bad days and minimise the lost signal:)

Mutley

AndyB said:
Mutley

I bought a low profile GPS Antenna for my 2610 from GPS Warehouse for £24.99 + delivery. part no. ANT-19-MCX. It has a fairly long lead, but I've tucked it up under the silver cover. The antenna is located on the beak and gives great reception. It will still loose satelites if you spend any amount of time under heavy tree cover.

Andrew.

Same supplier but p/n ANT-76-MX, here is their words:

Low profile GPS antenna with MCX connector.

Fully waterproof polycarbonate radome enclosure with magnetic base and tapped holes (M3) for screw mount.

Suitable for use with:
All GPS receivers with MCX connection except Magellan Roadmate as this requires a straight pin connector.

This antenna will provide high gain but will consume more power from the GPS. We recommend using this with a GPS that takes power from the vehicle rather than batteries.

Whereas the -19 is better for battery powered GPSRs as it uses less power (4.5mA v 7.0mA) but has less gain.

chaps, which connector should I get as they offer both,

Cable type is RG174/U. The antenna will be shipped with a 90 degree MCX connector - not the straight version unless requested.

Any thoughts

Mutley

Mutley said:
chaps, which connector should I get as they offer both,

Cable type is RG174/U. The antenna will be shipped with a 90 degree MCX connector - not the straight version unless requested.

Any thoughts

Mutley
I'd get the straight one. The 90 Deg MCX connector which I have can be quite difficult to remove from my eMap as it fits quite tightly. The straight one would allow you just to pull it out of the back of the GPS unit by the cable. At the risk of detaching the cable from the plug, of course......:(

Back
Top Bottom