Mileometer accuracy

basil

Reaction score
Has any body noticed on long run with mates ,on 1150s ,f650s any difference on milage clocked up,went up ta scotland last month mine recorded 6to7 miles less than old beasts

I've noticed that the odometer is between half and one percent low. I've measured it over an exact 5km distance, and also compared it with the distance logged by a GPS.

My old 1150 was always optimistic on speed and distance (I think most of them are unless they are modded). My 1200 records significantly less distance over journeys I know well though I have not checked it out against a GPS for absolute accuracy.

Makes the servicing cheaper (as it takes longer to come round), theoretical better 2nd hand value as less miles and the mpg even more impressive. :) (I love justifying my purchases after the event :D :D )

Paul

My 1200 is the most accurate bike/car I've had (checked against GPS). Moreover, the speedo accuracy is also very good. I never used to worry too much at passing cameras a few mph faster than the limit. Not so, now.

Measured the odometer as 1.3% low vs. GPS over 1000m miles. Speedo about 3% low. Pretty damn good in my book.

Mine showed 99 miles on the trip against 100 miles on the GPS. That means it does even more miles to the gallon! (62 running in, now dropped to about 56 at 2k miles)

My R1200GS' odometer is about 1.5% pessimistic. That is, when the GPS says I went 100 miles (using a straight stretch of I-90 in Washington, USA) the odometer says 98.5 miles. Same story doing the mileage check for the Utah 1088 -- mine was about the only bike with an pessimistic odometer. Most are optimistic (like my old R1100GS, which was 5% optimistic (it said I'd gone 105 miles when I'd really only gone 100).

That's with the OEM Trailwings, BTW. Now I have BT020s on it.

Speedo Reading

I find mines over reads in speed by about 1% and under estimates distance by about 1%.

It is the most accurate speedo Ive ever known. The old GS would say 100 and be doing 90!

Hi Basil
if i remember right,your reading was 198 and ours was 213,your 1200 also showed just under half a tank,but when you filled it,it showed that you only had 2 Lts left in the tank.I think Mr BM needs to have a quick look:confused:
see you on the 23rd :beerjug: Dazzer

as the tyre wears presumably the speedo/mileometer accuracy will change i.e get even more accurate and then eventually overread. or is it a fancy set up that runs off the gearbox/engine?

Back
Top Bottom