What are Harley like to live with?

SJPB1982

Reaction score
I have a strange yearning for a Harley after I went to the NEC show today even though there were some obvious deficiencies in quality like the left handlebar grip that swivelled on the Fat Boy special.

Nonetheless I still like them, so what ae they like to live with day to day or are they best kept as a weekend toy?

After many, many years of boxer ownership and riding (still got em), I plunged head first and bought a 2010 FLHTCU with ABS and thus began my first year of possession.
From my side of the Med, most of the expats ride HD's in one big form or another, the dealer organisers runs and events, Weekend coffee and doughnuts available free and end of the month open day and lunch.

For the locals, its a way of life away from the family. Bling accessories, bandanas and strange hand signals on the road.

Its a big bugger, uses more fuel than I thought (but cheaper than bottled water) it would and for highway riding, the motor feels comfortable around 120kph leaving me in the middle lane most of the time.

Its a form of theraputic riding. If you are rallying at the weekend, start early. Engine gets bloody hot in the summer, a bugger to clean those wheels and dread the day I get a puncture without a centre stand.
Touchwood no problems so far.
It is a nice traditional ride, lots of international clubs and events and when you start buying in the boutique store for clothes and riding gear your wallet will never get a chance to put on weight :clap.

They're a rolling joke, but I still manage the occasional belly laugh.... not to mention a wicked grin most times I'm riding my 'Glide...

It'll be like holding a big mirror up to yourself, you'll see who you actually are :augie

...but what are they like, will it rust up and stop working if I use it every day?

Most HD's, if kept outside & used in all weathers will (like most bikes) corrode alarmingly fast...

But if you buy an old Evo, powder coat most of it, 'weatherproof' it with oil spray, then they're as tough as old boots.

And, being so simple (I'd personally avoid the fuel injection models and the electrically complex 'Ultra' Electra Glides) they're actually very reliable.

My personal advice would be to get an Evo. engined 'big twin' (ie mid 1980's to late 1990's) bike :thumb2

There are two types of Harleys: blinged up tinsel barges and stripped down serious mileage bikes. If you want one as a workhorse you'll be needing to avoid the former.

They come in three frame types:

Dyna - for more 'spirited' riding (this is a relative term as it is a Harley :toungincheek )
Softail - have less suspension and more bling
Glide - more touring orientated

Best take a test ride ride on them all before you buy, and don't assume that they are all the same to ride. Bars, pegs and seats make a huge difference, fairings and screens can be added / detached etc.

If you fancy having a bit of a tyre kick and meeting a few HD riders who aren't in HOG :)ymca2) then drop me a PM and I'll introduce you to the local HDRCGB guys :)cool)

wide glide

well i rode one for the first time today a 2003 wide glide , i had to take it to a shop for a mate of mine so i rode it for about 30 miles . it has had thousands spent on the engine so im told pistons etc all screaming eagled up . well defo not my bag i bloody hated it .

well i rode one for the first time today a 2003 wide glide , i had to take it to a shop for a mate of mine so i rode it for about 30 miles . it has had thousands spent on the engine so im told pistons etc all screaming eagled up . well defo not my bag i bloody hated it .

As long as yer mate likes it :eek: :rolleyes:

mate

As long as yer mate likes it :eek: :rolleyes:

im sorry to say he wont be riding it again or his gsa , the poor fella has terminal lung cancer and not in a really good way . i was taking it to the shop for them to sell it . nice bike if you like that sort of thing .

im sorry to say he wont be riding it again or his gsa , the poor fella has terminal lung cancer and not in a really good way . i was taking it to the shop for them to sell it . nice bike if you like that sort of thing .

Sorry to hear that, nothing I can say really...

Bikes really don't matter under those circumstances.

No proper way to explain the experience of riding a Harley until you've tried one. I liken it to going for a walk on 2 wheels. No need to rush, no need to prove anything to anyone. On a summers day, with the sun shining, and when you don't need to be anywhere, they are superb. I'm not sure I could have one as my only bike, for me it's too much of a one trick pony, but as I mature ( get older ) I'm quietly thinking of another prolonged gentle road trip round Europe. Unfortunately even though Elvie liked her low rider when we did route 66, she can't be persuaded to get one, so more likely to take the Gs to keep up.

Found myself with some time to waste yesterday before needing to be somewhere, popped in th HD dealership and eyed up the only new one I like ...

Attachments

• 08FatBobRR3-4Black.jpg
    08FatBobRR3-4Black.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 314
i had one, lasted 11 days, it had to go, i could find no redeeming features, other than it was very noisy and scared old ladys

Back
Top Bottom