ABS-ectomy

br549

Reaction score
All:

Fairly new to the GS, a bit over 2 years. Have a 1996 R1100gs, under 30 k on the clock. Rock solid bike. The abs is inop, can't get a reset effected, afraid the board is fried. In the font of all wisdom , DaveH describes how to remove the abs and reconnect the tail/brake lights. Excellent write up. My pedestrian question is, are the wires in abs loom color-coded the same in his 1150 as my 1000gs?

Thanks to all,

Mike B

Not sure it's as important or as complicated on the older ABS units as for the servo/ABS of the late 1150s that the thread is about. You should have full braking (minus ABS), not the residual of failed servos? I'd guess the wiring is different, and the plumbing.

Wouldnt a look at wiring diagrams show the difference between an abs and non abs models. Have a look in the back of a Haynes manual.

, DaveH describes how to remove the abs and reconnect the tail/brake lights. Excellent write up. My pedestrian question is, are the wires in abs loom color-coded the same in his 1150 as my 1000gs?

Thanks to all,

Mike B

Ignore everything in DaveH's thread -that's just for the servo abs.

On the ABS only models you don't have to touch any electrics or wires. Just unplug and remove the unit and cover up the live wire.
In fact you can just leave the failed unit in place because it doesn't effect your braking like it does on a servo model.

All:

Fairly new to the GS, a bit over 2 years. Have a 1996 R1100gs, under 30 k on the clock. Rock solid bike. The abs is inop, can't get a reset effected, afraid the board is fried. In the font of all wisdom , DaveH describes how to remove the abs and reconnect the tail/brake lights. Excellent write up. My pedestrian question is, are the wires in abs loom color-coded the same in his 1150 as my 1000gs?

Thanks to all,

Mike B

The failure is often down to the relay fitted adjacent to the abs unit, worth a check.

Thanks Steptoe, very good info to have. Thanks to all.

Mike B

Back
Top Bottom