Anyone actually tried the new Heidenau K60 SCOUT?

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
They've been mentioned a lot, and I have them at the top of my list for replacing the current set of TKCs when i can see the canvas poking through, but has anyone actually tried the new version yet?

Different to the old K60, which I liked a lot.....
heidenau_k60scout.jpg

Looks very much like the bastard child of a TKC and an old stylee tourance :thumb2

Yep. Had about several thousands of miles on mine off and on since about October time last year. They've done some off roady stuff and were okay but get on my nerves on the road getting there.

They're worth putting on for the winter and I've been out in the slushy snow already.

Mine are squaring off now but I reckon they should be good for a total of 8k on the rear.

I have got about 4000 miles on the rear and its got lots to go, they are a lot quieter and smother on the road than the old 140 (which I rated) with the new central rib, but I feel I get less "bite" on gravel due to the rib, grip wise good in the dry and I dont ride in the wet :augie We did 1,000 km's in a day across the Karoo in 39C heat fully loaded, so they seem fine for heat load these days

wall2.jpg

wall2015.jpg

Got them on my S10 and only had the opportunity to ride in the wet at less than 10 deg C temps .. no issues so far with grip. Admittedly the bike has top bolloks traction control and abs but still they seem pretty good all things considered.

Have had a set of these on my 950 for most of last year , 8k so far and still quite a bit of tread , but have squared of due to motorway use thru France last year.
Reasonable of road (HUMM gravel tracks) , front makes a noise like a landy at 55mph.
Other wise good tyres , similar to TKC , would defo buy again.Think I paid £180 for the pair.

I have got about 4000 miles on the rear and its got lots to go, they are a lot quieter and smother on the road than the old 140 (which I rated) with the new central rib, but I feel I get less "bite" on gravel due to the rib, grip wise good in the dry and I dont ride in the wet :augie We did 1,000 km's in a day across the Karoo in 39C heat fully loaded, so they seem fine for heat load these days

Looks to be good for wear:thumb

Don't they have corners in SA?:D

Attachments

• wall2.jpg
    wall2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 522

wall2.jpg

wall2015.jpg

Welshman, I'm on my way to Jo'burg and have a few questions please. Have you got any contact details???
Regards
Carl

Ok Ok ....... Help me make my mind up .... !

I'm trail riding the pyrenees (GSA) in late April and need an appropriate tyre that can cope with trail and tarmac.

K60's or TKC's ??? (not too bothered about wear rate or price....)

:thumb2

Ok Ok ....... Help me make my mind up .... !

I'm trail riding the pyrenees (GSA) in late April and need an appropriate tyre that can cope with trail and tarmac.

K60's or TKC's ??? (not too bothered about wear rate or price....)

:thumb2

TKC without a doubt.

The small following that Heidenau's have on here is based mainly on price and hearsay from one or two users in the past. I've followed handy riders on them and cringed as they were running wide with part worn tyres.

TKCs on the other hand are well tried and trusted by many.:thumb

TKC without a doubt.

The small following that Heidenau's have on here is based mainly on price and hearsay from one or two users in the past. I've followed handy riders on them and cringed as they were running wide with part worn tyres.

yup, what he said :thumb2

My only reason for looking at the Heidies now is 'cos I'm likely to be doing a fair bit more tarmac in the next 12 months, but still want to be able to go play silly buggers on the lanes and mucky stuff......for an off-road trip, TKC's every single time for the GS :thumb2

Ok Blokes, Thanks!! (and happy new year to you both!! :thumb).

Ok Blokes, Thanks!! (and happy new year to you both!! :thumb).

And to you sir :beerjug:

You missed some interesting threads while you were away......:friday

EDIT:

If you're going for the TKC's, they are a doddle to fit yourself....you may not save more than a round of drinks in doing so, but IMO it's WELL worth the effort just to get the experience and confidence that you can.

Of course, I may well be preaching to the converted already, but hey ho :D

No .... that's a fair comment. I do very little tinkering myself and should learn to do more. Definitely getting the bug for more adventure so I should get practising ..... :thumb2

(No cruises this year Tim..... :D).

TKC's

TKC without a doubt.

I concur with Tim:thumb
As one of the early exponents of the Heidenau along with MadMountainMan they were ok but nothing like as good a tyre as a TKC. They were a handful on tracks and the bike used to squirm all over the place on anything beyond mildly damp conditions.
They also literally used to literally fly apart with block disintegration on faster:D tarmac riding.
Reasonable low price tyre for bimbling around but not serious riding:thumb

I concur with Tim:thumb
As one of the early exponents of the Heidenau along with MadMountainMan they were ok but nothing like as good a tyre as a TKC. They were a handful on tracks and the bike used to squirm all over the place on anything beyond mildly damp conditions.
They also literally used to literally fly apart with block disintegration on faster:D tarmac riding.
Reasonable low price tyre for bimbling around but not serious riding:thumb

As I said earlier, I have used the more recent 150 Scout in 39C conditions loaded, cruising 1000km in a day across the northern cape at steady 100mph and had no tyre issues, had consumption issues with a cross/headwind and on 2 ocasions had to lay her down to get fuel into the RHS to get to the next fuel station, I have the basic 22l tank on its a bitch.

So the self destruct stuff is old hat, but for us down here, we would have stuck with TKC but the importers started taking the piss when it was the only choice, 3 years ago they wanted 150 quid for a rear TKC now we have competition and we have much better prices 3 years on, since ADV,s here come with TKC or Karoo's I have a healthy stock of ones I buy from the guys who want Annakees etc from day one:D

Back
Top Bottom