Pre 12/04 Build Throttle cable mod.

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mike O has detailed the cable-swap and his excellent guide can be found on the AdvRider Hall of Wisdom:

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/GS throttle cable swap.html

If you are contemplating doing the same and your bike was built before December 2004, then you will get a different main cable (the one from the throttle-grip to the splitter-box) and you will need the replacement guide.

The new cable cannot be fitted to the old guide.

The new cable is Part # 32737692561

The new guide is Part # 32727691990 (listed as SET: REP.KIT ACCELERATOR CABLE DEFLECTION) on the BMW fiche.

Here's what it is:

i-MdjfTDb-M.jpg

It took a little head scratching to see where the new parts went and what exactly they replaced and how, so this may save you some similar puzzlement.

Remove the hand-guard, the end-weight and the mirror.

Locate the bottom cover screw of the switch-block:

i-kvtqR6h-M.jpg

i-qXshdXW-M.jpg

There is another screw holding the bottom cover in place at the extreme end of the underside near the brake master cylinder. Mine was solid and rather than chew the screw-head, I just pulled the plastic bottom cover down a bit.

Locate the self-taping screw that is hidden by the (now removed) mirror stalk and remove it:

i-XFx9RMm-M.jpg

Lift the switch-block clear (it needs to be off of the throttle guide under the rubber grip) so that the twist-grip can be slid along the handlebar.

If your bike has heated grips, feed some more of the control cable into the handlebars to allow you to pull the twist-grip along the bar a little.

You need enough room to be able to get at the two (now exposed) cross-head screws (replacements are included in the kit). They are removed in this photo:

i-nxr4zVh-M.jpg

Once you have the screws out, you can slide the old cable-guide towards the twist-grip. It is located on the lug on the underside of the handlebar and has a ring of plastic around the bar:

i-chTp3nC-M.jpg

Rather than removing the twist-grip from the handlebar completely, just snip the plastic ring in a couple of places (you won't be needing it again):

i-RtkKqzF-M.jpg

It's pretty obvious where the new parts fit so I won't insult your intelligence, you will end-up with an arrangement like this:

i-9L8XNTd-M.jpg

and a pile of redundant parts like this:

i-3kT6fM2-M.jpg

The modification is apparently because the old parts allowed the cable to jump out of the guide (that's what I was told anyway) but the up-side is that the cable adjuster at the twist-grip end is easier to work than the old one.

Thanks Mike - I did this mod the second time I did my cables and didn't update the post.

I've asked AceRph at ADVRider to add your text and pics to the original post...

Cheers,

Mike :thumb2

If you are contemplating doing the same and your bike was built before December 2004, then you will get a different main cable (the one from the throttle-grip to the splitter-box) and you will need the replacement guide.

The new cable cannot be fitted to the old guide.

The replacement guide has been in use for 7 years now, so if you do have a pre 2004 model check if the previous owner or whoever you use for servicng haven't already replaced the old type before buying the "newish" version.

And this only applies to the 1150 models.

Both the single cable and the later twin cable 1100 models have a different throttle cable twist grip set up.

Back
Top Bottom