Trail Riders Fellowship

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've joined for 2012, after a lapse of over a decade or more

http://www.trf.org.uk/

So why did I lapse?

Mainly because around 2004, I got fed up with NERC act and the threat to trailriding and sold my XR250 that year and did Trials full time

I stopped trailriding but retained the info on trails, however NERC wasn't as bad as feared in Yorkshire

With the introduction of the G650 series, in 2007 - I bought a XChallenge and did quite a bit of trailriding with the knowledge i'd learnt in the 90's and just rode - a bit selfish perhaps though:blast

So why did i rejoin?

Well my conscience has been well and truly pricked and I thought it was about time I did get on with it

I've even bought a smaller bike as well to enjoy some of the more 'technical' trails

I've enjoyed a lot of trailriding in the last 2-3 years, so I thought i'd better 'get legal' and support the TRF again

I saw an article about my local group (old mates) repairing lanes, in the local Press and thought I'd like to do some of that - laying stone and repairing ruts in the Dales, putting something back and enjoying it

So folks, join TRF if you fancy it and put something back into the pastime of Trailriding - don't be like me and just ride the trails, relying on others and you might makes some new mates on a TRF led rideout

Finally................Timpo will be pleased:p

Good Johnny, and you're not alone. There have been a few old faces rejoining the North Wales group after a break. :thumb2

What you trying to say? .......it was only a few months sabbatical:augie

Good Johnny, and you're not alone. There have been a few old faces rejoining the North Wales group after a break. :thumb2

Just thought about my reasons and it was the local Press article last week, showing our local TRF group repairing lanes that nailed it for me

It's about time I put something back into the Trails, because without the TRF we wouldn't have them and I certainly wouldn't have the knowledge of the Yorkshire Trails without all those TRF Rideouts and Map info from the late 80's & 90's:thumb

I've joined for 2012, after a lapse of over a decade or more

http://www.trf.org.uk/

So why did I lapse?

Mainly because around 2004, I got fed up with NERC act and the threat to trailriding and sold my XR250 that year and did Trials full time

I stopped trailriding but retained the info on trails, however NERC wasn't as bad as feared in Yorkshire

With the introduction of the G650 series, in 2007 - I bought a XChallenge and did quite a bit of trailriding with the knowledge i'd learnt in the 90's and just rode - a bit selfish perhaps though:blast

So why did i rejoin?

Well my conscience has been well and truly pricked and I thought it was about time I did get on with it

I've even bought a smaller bike to enjoy some of the more 'technical' trails

I've enjoyed a lot of trailriding in the last 2-3 years, so I thought i'd better 'get legal' and support the TRF again

I saw an article about my local group (old mates) repairing lanes, in the local Press and thought I'd like to do some of that - laying stone and repairing ruts in the Dales, putting something back and enjoying it

So folks, join TRF if you fancy it and put something back into the pastime of Trailriding - don't be like me and just ride the trails, relying on others and you might makes some new mates on a TRF led rideout

Finally................Timpo will be pleased:p

Similar thought process with me, sent an email to Northampton group a good few weeks ago, still waiting for a reply :(

Similar thought process with me, sent an email to Northampton group a good few weeks ago, still waiting for a reply :(

I just joined online tonight - £40 & took 5 mins & nominated my local group

By far the quickest way to bite the bullet

I joined at the bike show this year, 10% discount but I gave the £4 back as a donation.
I attended my first meeting of the East Yorkshire branch in December and am looking forward to doing much more trail riding this coming year.
And learning how to ride off road,just need to get the X/country a little more sorted.

Steve

Any TRF member is welcome to join me in North and Mid Wales for a trail ride. I have had some superb rides with other groups both in Wales and at their areas, and I try to encourage this 'networking' between groups as much as possible.
If you're riding with a local, you will be riding on the legal stuff so no need to rely on old out of date marked maps.

I don't ride Trails, and there aren't any near me so it is not something I think of, it seems there are only a few areas in the UK that do have trails which is a real shame.

Our council website shows all of the rights of way, and there just ain't any for vehicles, walkers have thousands of miles, cyclist have a few tracks but motorcycles have nothing anymore.

Shaun (Cookieboy) and I were saying the other day we should join in the new year. I think I will join Devon with him as the county border is only 3 miles from home and Somerset CC really knackered up all the RUPPs making what appears to be 95% of them Restricted Byways. That said, when I spent time with the maps looking for stuff locally there are many 'white' roads which are not much more than tracks and fun on the bike.

The TRF price hike for 2012 does not seem to be received too well..yes it is wavered if you join before the new year but is not exactly encouraging new members and would be interesting to see if they lose any as a result.

Adie

I don't ride Trails, and there aren't any near me so it is not something I think of, it seems there are only a few areas in the UK that do have trails which is a real shame.

You may be suprised if you look outside your County border and may find more Trails

Contact local TRF and they'll suggest what's available

@ Trippy - get it done before the 31/12

Now joined :thumb2

I believe Devon TRF have a map marking service which will be useful and apparently there is a little mag that pops through the letterbox occasionally.

Love your enthusiasm Johnny. In summer I got in touch with my local TRF group and duly went to their next monthly meeting in September - which consisted of one other newbie and, ultimately, three existing members. While tales of exciting rides were told - my question as to, "when was the last ride out and when is the next?" was met with considerable head scratching. Ultimately it was agreed that the last ride out may have been 6 to 12 months ago and there isn't another planned at the moment!
I've remained on the groups mailing list and avidly await news of a ride out. But none yet.
Ironically Suffolk is next to Thetford Forest (in Norfolk) where there are many excellent green lanes so I'm surprised so little seems to happen or that my recent posting on this site (about organising a local green lane ride) has met with more or less nil response. Guess I need to move to Yorkshire .....................
:confused:

Our council website shows all of the rights of way, and there just ain't any for vehicles, walkers have thousands of miles, cyclist have a few tracks but motorcycles have nothing anymore.

You may be suprised if you look outside your County border and may find more Trails

Contact local TRF and they'll suggest what's available

Like Johnny says, Wiltshire is just down the road from you and has 600+ miles of legal trails to ride, many of which are doable on a GS. Its a fantastic place to live/ride.
Northants as plenty, with a good bunch near Silverstone.
Slightly further away, Hampshire has less trails but most of them are quality and some quite a challenge.

None on your doorstep shouldn't be a show stopper.

Love your enthusiasm Johnny. In summer I got in touch with my local TRF group and duly went to their next monthly meeting in September - which consisted of one other newbie and, ultimately, three existing members. While tales of exciting rides were told - my question as to, "when was the last ride out and when is the next?" was met with considerable head scratching. Ultimately it was agreed that the last ride out may have been 6 to 12 months ago and there isn't another planned at the moment!
I've remained on the groups mailing list and avidly await news of a ride out. But none yet.
Ironically Suffolk is next to Thetford Forest (in Norfolk) where there are many excellent green lanes so I'm surprised so little seems to happen or that my recent posting on this site (about organising a local green lane ride) has met with more or less nil response. Guess I need to move to Yorkshire .....................

Maybe try another group that's more active, even if you have to travel

I'm lucky with 2 active groups within 30 miles

Mine is Teesside and North Yorks, so will re-acquaint myself with them - I used to ride a lot with them 15-20 years ago and still know many of them, so should be ok

When I first joined in 1990 it was a bit like the Masons, where I was put on probabtion for 6-12 months to see if I could be trusted with the info, so I just rode on their rideouts, did my 'apprenticeship' and in time it got easier

That was just how it was back then and I was happy to accept it and back then we didn't have the 'I want and I want it now' attitude of society today. Not saying that with you, Peter though

Bear with it and ease yourself in, would be my advice from past experience

Suffolk seem to be quite active on the TRF web site
http://www.trf.org.uk/forum/index.php?sid=38f579d8693a2580ea2aecdafe76c800
Make sure you are able to log into the members area then look for Suffolk in the groups section.
My local group is mainly a meeting based group and that is where most of the rides are organised. Other groups are more active on the internet.

I think it is fair to say that it takes a few meetings and rides out to start to get to know people and how the whole thing works. It is also fair to say that any effort you put in by sticking with it at the start will be amply rewarded.

Had a similar thought process as you Johnny Boxer, I left several years ago with the NERC Bill coming in, but bit the bullet and rejoined my local group about two month ago, Teesside & North Yorkshire. Maybe catch up on a ride out.

Had a similar thought process as you Johnny Boxer, I left several years ago with the NERC Bill coming in, but bit the bullet and rejoined my local group about two month ago, Teesside & North Yorkshire. Maybe catch up on a ride out.

Hope so, have you been out with them yet?

yep, did the Dales the other week and was around Kirby Bank and Rutland Rigg yesterday, but had to call it short as i developed a engine problem with the bike.

A few old faces and have to say really enjoyed getting out with them and the company.

Back
Top Bottom