Warming up

Parky

Reaction score
I got my new 1200GS yesterday morning and got the mileage up from 4 to 130 in the afternoon pootling round the Dales. The bike is even better than I remember from the test ride way back in June.

Anyway, how much should I let the engine warm up before using full throttle and revs. There's a bar on the right of the display that tells you how warm it is and I just wondered what other people did ?

PARKY said:
I got my new 1200GS yesterday morning and got the mileage up from 4 to 130 in the afternoon pootling round the Dales. The bike is even better than I remember from the test ride way back in June.

Anyway, how much should I let the engine warm up before using full throttle and revs. There's a bar on the right of the display that tells you how warm it is and I just wondered what other people did ?

Your bike manual tells you. Do not let the bike warm up standing still. The bike could catch fire if lift for awhile. You should just start it and drive off. Just ride it like you would drive you car from cold.

Re: Re: Warming up

kiwiAdventure said:
Your bike manual tells you. Do not let the bike warm up standing still. The bike could catch fire if lift for awhile. You should just start it and drive off. /B]

The advice to not warm up stationary is good, but the warning in the manual about catching fire is a bit over the top! I think the supposed risk may be from flammable material touching the hot exhaust - or are BMW seriously saying that the bike match itself catch fire when idling? Better switch the engine off at traffic lights!! :D

Seriously though, on all my bikes, I allow about 5-10 minutes of gentle riding (from cold) before giving it some beans.

Re: Re: Re: Warming up

Mouse said:
The advice to not warm up stationary is good, but the warning in the manual about catching fire is a bit over the top!

The guy on advrider whose GS was burnt to a crisp after a stationary warm-up would disgree with you. Can't find the pics over there to link, but they were pretty scary

Back
Top Bottom