1100GS ABS Problems

coasty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All

I used my bike the other day and pulled up turned the ignition off and heard a whirring type sound coming from under the seat/tank area. Even with the ignition off and the key out this continued, so I rode it home, the sound continued while I was riding. Once home the only way to stop it was to disconect the battery. Once re connected it has not made this noise again. The brakes seem to work ok but the abs light is constantly flashing now.
The noise was coming from either the pump or electrics connected with the ABS. Does anyone know what this may have been, can it be fixed or am I best considering removing the abs. I found a link relating to removing it from the 1150 but is an 1100 similar?

Thanks

The abs relay is prone to fail, and gives the flashing lights too.

Prise/slide the black plastic cover off on the side of the ABS modulator and inside you'll find a relay. :thumb

Thanks, I have found both the relays, I would assume the one under the seat is ok as it clicks on and off as the lights alternate.

The one in the modulator is certainly a complicated looking item. This seems to have a permanent live supply to it, is this normal?. I take it this caused the pump to stay on, hence the noise. Is there any way of testing this item?
It is not permanently on now but the abs light continue to alternate even after following the re set procedures. Is this relay a fortune to replace or am I better off sorting the brakes minus the abs?

As I remember, it's 120$ or close, pretty much for a relay... I guess it is special : ) Or you can get a s/h unit if you do not want to use a regular relay...

Dan.

Whining noise

At first I thought the noise was coming from the starter motor, now I have sourced mine to underneath the tank. I am guessing it is the same thing. Can you keep us updated as your progress.:beerjug:

Dont forget you will need to reset the abs after changing components or the light will still flash.

Having done the re set involving earthing the centre of the blue 3 pin connector, the ABS seems to be fine. The first time I took it out after doing this the lights continued to flash together, then alternately again, but after ignoring it for several stop starts, they went off entirely.
I have just ridden about 700 miles this weekend to the freeze rally and they have stayed off.:bounce1
I still have no idea why the relay that seems to operate the pump stayed on in the first place.:blast

It seems they arc and flash together, Now it has parted I wish you luck, if it reoccurs then you may need a replacement relay after first breaking open the relay cover and trying to linish the contacts. This worked well on my Guzzi.

Back
Top Bottom