Gearbox fault 1150

kevinpollard

Reaction score
Hi Guys Good morning from NZ! I have had a gearbox failure at 60,000 m. She jumped up to a false neutral during overtaking when I was in 5th I found that by holding the gear lever down it would stay in 5th. When I came to the traffic lights I couldnt shift down beyond 4th. so I got going in 4th and used 5th and 6th, then I couldnt shift down to 4th. so left with 5th and 6th I decided to abandon my ride and get it recovered home. I have whipped the box out ( the gear lever was tight and working ok) and after stripping the box down the only problem was the spring (Large one going round the shaft) on the gear selector shaft which was loose, would this have been the cause and whats to stop it happening again? Thanks Guys:beerjug: I have spoken to the Auckland dealership service manager and he says it sounds like an input shaft problem??

I have spoken to the Auckland dealership service manager and he says it sounds like an input shaft problem??

He maybe correct but my recent thread has not found a specific problem so far and I have saved some money doing so. My last post tells you where I'm up to with a similar fault which is namely waiting for parts to finish the job and to see what happens.

If you can remove your gearbox it's worth having a look inside. :thumb2

Thanks Ditch, seems we have the same problem. Ive since examined the input shaft and it seems perfect no wear whatsoever. I guess i will do what youve done and rebuild it and grease the splines!, I measured the oil taken out and its about 700ml and should have 1000ml so wonder if thats a cause. I have the same markings on the selector drum but it must be from machining marks as the roller pins cant get that far in. Im a bit suspect about the whole gearchange mechanism so as ive got it out i will nip it to the dealers and let then look at it n see if they think theres any wear, Ive deffo got wear on the selector fork pins, the trouble here is that most parts have to come in from Germany, I wanted a Neutral/ gear switch guess what Ex Germany $200 (100 quid). Thanks from Downunder!:cool:

Hi Kevin don't buy from stealer unless urgent and they have it in stock. Though saying that I have been pleasantly surprised a couple of times with local prices but mostly unpleasantly shocked. Last items I bought from stealer where an oil filter for my 1150GS and one for swmbo F650GS. Spent $81 for those 2 so next order overseas will see a few filters as well.
Always check out the suppliers listed at the top of the page on the site you will be quite happy with prices including post.

Adrian

Hi from Auckland

I'm having some issues with my 1100 gearbox. I'm also in Auckland and wouldn't mind having a chat about removing drive shafts, gearboxes and stuff! I need to get stuck into mine, but would feel happy having talked it through with someone first!
DA

I measured the oil taken out and its about 700ml and should have 1000ml so wonder if thats a cause.

I wouldn't have thought that that volume of absent oil would cause a lock-up. The splash in the box should be adaquate albeit not perfect. Don't fill it on a hill. :rolleyes:

I'm having some issues with my 1100 gearbox. I'm also in Auckland and wouldn't mind having a chat about removing drive shafts, gearboxes and stuff! I need to get stuck into mine, but would feel happy having talked it through with someone first!
DA

Be aware that your box has some minor differences to the 1150's above. :rob

DA

Hi, you can email me kevinpollard@xtra.co.nz. Be great to chat to you see if we can help eachother out

Hi Kevin don't buy from stealer unless urgent and they have it in stock. Though saying that I have been pleasantly surprised a couple of times with local prices but mostly unpleasantly shocked. Last items I bought from stealer where an oil filter for my 1150GS and one for swmbo F650GS. Spent $81 for those 2 so next order overseas will see a few filters as well.
Always check out the suppliers listed at the top of the page on the site you will be quite happy with prices including post.

Adrian

Hi Adrian, I use Cycletreads here in Akl and I beleive Motomail are good for all oils and filters etc. just had rear brakepads supplied and fitted for $35 at cycletreads, not worth getting my spanners out for that. They are good for mail order too. Where are you in NZ?

Hi Kevin and DA. Have a look around this site for info on what you are doing, it has most likely been done many times before. As you can see from my Avatar I have had the box out of my 1150 to replace the clutch (James Sherlock) and got all the info from this site. I recently fitted an 1100 final drive to it as well and what a great difference that makes.
I am at the bottom of the island at the windy end though to fund my Land Rover and BMW habit I work in Auckland a bit.

Adrian

Oh and have a happy new year.

Hi Kevin and DA. Have a look around this site for info on what you are doing, it has most likely been done many times before. As you can see from my Avatar I have had the box out of my 1150 to replace the clutch (James Sherlock) and got all the info from this site. I recently fitted an 1100 final drive to it as well and what a great difference that makes.
I am at the bottom of the island at the windy end though to fund my Land Rover and BMW habit I work in Auckland a bit.

Adrian

Oh and have a happy new year.

Hi Adrian, why did you put a 1100 drive shaft in to the 1150 and how did that improve the 1150? was it a straight forward swap? Yes there is tons of info on this site, great for saving some $$$. PS I love Welly but its a bit too windy for us :):):):)

Hi Adrian, why did you put a 1100 drive shaft in to the 1150 and how did that improve the 1150? was it a straight forward swap? Yes there is tons of info on this site, great for saving some $$$. PS I love Welly but its a bit too windy for us :):):):)

Not the drive shaft. I fitted the final drive or bevel box or diff.
I makes the 1150 a lot more usable lowering the final drive from 2.82/1 to 3/1. Low speed riding is greatly improved. And boy does it leap off the line now. For some reason gear changes are a lot smoother to.
http://www.largiader.com/articles/gearing/

Adrian

Not the drive shaft. I fitted the final drive or bevel box or diff.
I makes the 1150 a lot more usable lowering the final drive from 2.82/1 to 3/1. Low speed riding is greatly improved. And boy does it leap off the line now. For some reason gear changes are a lot smoother to.
http://www.largiader.com/articles/gearing/

Adrian
Nice link Adrian.
Thanks!

Pekka
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BMW R1150GS breaking for parts

Hello guys, Its been almost a year now since my gearbox trouble and my bike has been sat in the garage all that time with her bum hanging out. Its been doing my head in. it took 10 weeks to get the parts from the UK someone put Australia on the package, so there it went, then back to the uk then eventually to me. By the time I got the bits id lost the will to live and the confidence to do the rebuild.

Ive decided to part her out, its a decision ive eventually made as I dont really feel confidence in the gearbox or my ability to rebuild it (especially as I didnt find anything wrong.

Ive got several parts listed here in NZ on trademe.co.nz and the lighting/ instrument pod on Ebay (au)

2000, 60k (miles) excellent condition. I need to sell everything in order to purchase my next bike. I have the engine complete and I would like $3,000 NZ ( its probably gonna make it too expensive due to your weak pound and our strong $$) ...and gearbox parts too. Let me know if anybody needs anything. Kev. kevinpollard@xtra.co.nz

Back
Top Bottom