BMW appreciation.

PWA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How long will it take for an 1150 GSA to appreciate in price? my dad passed down a mint R80GS to me in 1987 that my mum sold for £900.(i was too young to ride it) :blast
Apparently theyre worth thousands now.

Not convinced that they will become "clasic" bikes that appreciate in value as there where so many built.
The R80G/S by comparison was made in relatively small numbers and so have a better chance of becoming collectable.

Not convinced that they will become "clasic" bikes that appreciate in value as there where so many built.
The R80G/S by comparison was made in relatively small numbers and so have a better chance of becoming collectable.

Oh right. Cheers.

I guess that finished that thread. However, prices on mobile.de seem to be creeping up for good 1150's.

I think good clean 1150 Adv's will start to lift in the next 5 years & onwards, as they become more scarce

Good used 11GS's are starting to rise too

Both are better to ride than any Airhead GS too in terms of chassis & brakes

next time you see one at a show, it's most likely to be at stafford.

In 20 years time:D, although you do have a nice airhead

Anything that was desirable in it's time, will in years to come be more desirable as numbers dwindle

A Honda 250 Superdream was a shitter in 1981 and is still a shitter in 2011 and only worth £500

There were fewer R1150GSA models built (around 17,800) compared to the total R80GS numbers (about 21,800).

Will the 1150GSA be appreciated the way that some 2-Valve GS models are at some future remove?

Probably.

However, just like the earlier bikes, provenance will be important because short of getting hold of the BMW frame number lists, you can't easily tell an 1150GS with GSA bits added from a factory Adventure model. A lot of people mistake the "GSA" listing on the fiche records as denoting the Adventure, it actually means GS ABS equipped.

I'm inclined to think that a good bike will command a good price irrespective of model. The Adventure will probably just maintain the price differential over the GS in the same way that the 100GSPD fetches a bit better money than a similar condition and age 100GS (providing that the provenance shows it was a PD from the off).

Should the GSA fetch higher prices when it's really only a GS with some factory add-ons (same as a PD is just a 100GS with factory extras)? Probably not but the lower production numbers will skew prices in their favour (and probably mean quite a few 1150GSs are sold as Adventures too).

There were fewer R1150GSA models built (around 17,800) compared to the total R80GS numbers (about 21,800).

Will the 1150GSA be appreciated the way that some 2-Valve GS models are at some future remove?

Probably.

However, just like the earlier bikes, provenance will be important because short of getting hold of the BMW frame number lists, you can't easily tell an 1150GS with GSA bits added from a factory Adventure model. A lot of people mistake the "GSA" listing on the fiche records as denoting the Adventure, it actually means GS ABS equipped.

I'm inclined to think that a good bike will command a good price irrespective of model. The Adventure will probably just maintain the price differential over the GS in the same way that the 100GSPD fetches a bit better money than a similar condition and age 100GS (providing that the provenance shows it was a PD from the off).

Should the GSA fetch higher prices when it's really only a GS with some factory add-ons (same as a PD is just a 100GS with factory extras)? Probably not but the lower production numbers will skew prices in their favour (and probably mean quite a few 1150GSs are sold as Adventures too).

Agreed Mike

As with any classic bike - now or in the future, provenance will be everything and always has been

There's one thing with proper 1150GSA's - the gearbox is harder to swap out and is an instant giveaway, once ridden - if it's a pretend 1150GS Adv

Well ......................a Triple Black 12GS will be recycled before it reaches classic status

Absolutely it's the environmental thing to do and in any case I will be riding the latest hydrogen powered GS by then :thumb

Come inside and buy my wares............. you know it makes sense.

Better than money in the bank, cheese in the fridge and birds in the bush. Remember today is the best day for future investment potential which tomorrow will decide if the day before yesterday was a good day or just another blip in the time space continuum of fruitless labour on the second Monday of the month which was Tuesday afternoon.:rob

If you can understand what I just said congratulations because I aint got a clue :nenau

Does it look that 1100's get more expensive by time? Because here, they get cheaper by day...

Dan.

Back
Top Bottom