Stella Alpina and BMW festival 2012

andybcole

Reaction score
By happy coincidence it is possible to do both the Stella Alpina rally in Bardonecchia and the BMW Festival in Garmisch Partenkirchen in the same weekend.

This year a couple of us are planning to take in the trip and I have put together a full itinerary, GPX file etc and anyone with a tank range of more than 200 miles is welcome (I hate every stop to be in a fuel station).

For more details take a look at www.r1200gs.me.uk and follow the link from the home page. We are not hardcore off-roaders (far from it) and the trip is suitable for anyone who can handle 430 miles in a day (day one only), enjoys a beer in the evenings, can do gentle off-road (gravel track up the Stella - it's optional).

Instead of me rattling on, take a look at the itinerary and get in touch via email if you fancy getting away with two forty-something bikers from Solihull (that's not a request for a date :p)

More Info

Sorry, just read the stickie so some more info for you before you hop off to download the pdf itinerary...

Definitely suitable for pillions.

Normal 'cross' tyres such as Bridgestone Battlewings/Anakees will be fine.

One bit of off-roading only - the 18 miles of the Stella Alpina. A bit tricky towards the top apparently but optional all the way, to get to the campsite is mild gravel track.

Combination of camping and hotels. Guesthouse just outside Bruges, camping at Garmisch Partenkirchen, near Champagne, on the Ruhr and at the Stella, hotel in Besancon and one night to be decided dependent on how much progress we make.

Going across by Eurotunnel (tip - use Tesco Clubcard vouchers), leaving on the 4th July and coming back on the 12th July 2012. Covering about 2,200 miles

You will need to fully independent, own kit (you can borrow my matches :D).

Think that covers the basics!

Tour Links

Link to Itinerary

Link to Garmin GPX file

The first link is a pdf, the second link you may need to right-click and select 'save target as' or it will open as a text file in some browsers.

P.S. Not a new member on here, my previous profile has disappeared, have been to a couple of King and Thai events.

It' a bit more than a "gravel track" mate! :blast

Have you "done" the stella before?

Me and the missis has done it 2 up on an AT and a 1100GS
Dint get quite to top on 1100 cos o the snaw level being low
It aint just a dusty trail either
Camping at the refuge can be "free" but Ive rode up there at freezing temps
NOT FUNNY for the campers
I also went up week before the rally in 2005 - on me own with panniers and box on back - fuggin stupid :eek: seemed a good idea at time :blast
got well up to near top then the rain started - 5 mins to hail/snow and very lucky and frightened me nearly shit myself ridding the route back down as quick and safe as I dare/had too only stopping at rochmoulles to shelter = It aint no dusty trail and at 3000m at summit ice and snow can be had anytime of day
Dont let owt put yer off just watch what yer doing
I recon I was told yer get to the top only 1 out of 3 rallys due to snow levels
might be more frequent now days with the so called Global Warming

1st pic 2000
2nd 2005
3rd 2010 I think
done it with a mate once on the 1150s in June that was my best assent :clap
It is stunning but my top tips would be dont try and "clear" it = dropped me bike that year - and take your time both up and down because it is a beautiful trail - do it once or twice as well - use a buff for the dust if its dry - take water
Have a great time Mabe see you there and get a natter with "codge" if you can he helped get it all started yonks ago (he rides a g/s with a white lid) :rob:rob

Attachments

• Top o stella2.jpg
    Top o stella2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 420
  • sommelier  2005.jpg
    sommelier 2005.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 422
  • me an PD up Stella.jpg
    me an PD up Stella.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 415
I figure having seen a photo of a Pan European at the top it has to be worth a punt, we'll just ride until we are coming to the end of our comfort zone :)

Make sure there are no loose items on your bike cos it get one hell of a shaking! :eek: When I got to the top last year one of my indicator stalks had fallen off cos the nut had rattled off. :blast My mates mirror arm also undid itself! Brilliant fun though. :clap The pictures you see on here don't show just how steep the track is. And how rough. We had an interesting little detour right near the top cos of the snow. Bleeding cold at the top too! Wish I was going again. 2013 is in the diary though.:thumb2 Have fun.

You'll be fine! People will stop and help you pick your bike up WHEN you drop it! :D

It' a bit more than a "gravel track" mate! :blast

but it is a basic gravel/dirt track with a small section of broken tarmac about 2/3rds of the way up.

its nothing special and piss easy to ride up.

you cant ride to the lake anymore though.

822.jpg

P7290023-1.jpg

837.jpg

827.jpg

836.jpg

828.jpg

835.jpg

051.jpg

P7290005-1.jpg

and my mate at the top on his roughty toughty off road bike :blast

P7290001-1.jpg

I did it last year on my F800GS 30thon the standard pirelli road tyres. First heard of it in Bike magazine back in the early 80s, before the advent of the big trail bike really began. I remember pictures of 850 Guzzsi, big road Ducatis and the odd (4-cyl!) Gold Wing. Last year there was no snow apart from a short stretch near the very top, that required a short detour. It was a beautiful clear blue sky, but coolish, about 8 - 10 degrees if I remember. You wouldn't want to spend a night up there unless mountaineer-prepped though. There was a Kawa 636 at the top when I got there, and I saw an ancient Vespa 200 that I think also made it. Also a red 100/7 on uk plates with some other brit lads, and I also saw a later mono R100RT also on brit plates. I think I also saw a couple of MTB-ers going up as well. With care, and if the weather isn't extreme, it's do-able on any decent roadbike., as long as you go slow enough. I was holidaying alone for a couple of weeks and desperate not to get a puncture! It would be easy to fall off though. It's looks much tougher on the numerous video clips on You Tube than it does in real life. Most of the time you're looking to see where the next rock is, not peering over the edge!
Got my badge and a small rock from the top proudly in my book case!

The Trips On

Thanks for all the advice guys, there are now six of us heading out there, all on 1200 GSA's, more welcome!

Back
Top Bottom