Heated waistcoats.....

Dutchman

Reaction score
Starting to get cold up here.......especially as I'm not hiding behind an RT fairing anymore, so I'm currently considering a heated waistcoat....

A search of these forums has proved very useful but as most of the feedback is over a year old now, I wondered what the heated waistcoat of choice is at the moment...............?

I'm drawn towards the BWM one, not least because it fits well, isn't bulky and slips under my Tourguard jacket a treat........

Price aside, is there anything better on the market........?

Cheers

Dutch

Dutch

I've had a Chilli heated waistcoat for the last 5 years and have found it more than warm enough. It's hardly a fashion statement and the wires pull out of the plugs quite easily but it keeps on working. It allows me to wear a shirt and thin fleece under my winter jacket (Spidi 365) and still be nice and toasty. The variable 'stat is a necessary add on as it can get very warm. The whole lot cost about £99 back then.

My only complaints would be it doesn't have a heated collar or facility to power electric gloves - otherwise 10/10.

HTH

heated waistcoat

Dutch, try Widder, American I believe, but have been going for years. I bought one about 7/8 years ago, and it is still going strong. it has a high collar which keeps yer neck toasty, but can be a bit bulky if you wear neck tubes or the like.
As far as I am concerned, they are the best invention since the wheel. I feel the cold quite easily, and the waiastcoat makes the difference btwn bloody miserable and and freezing, and warm and happy for hours.
I think that Widder do one now with detachable heated sleeves, which i imagine would be good for really cold conditions, with the opportunity to remove them when its a bit warmer, but you still need a bit of warmth. The latest version of mine, is about £150, I think, which means that they are still the same price as when I got mine!

There are several makes on the market,dunno what they are like, qualitywise tho.

get one, you will not regret it, I am sure.

FB

Ive tried a couple of makes and the best ive found so far is Gerbring it has heated arms and collar, fittings for gloves and trousers, I had the back extended 10cm for no extra cost when i ordered it. The electrical wires and fitting are chuncky and best of all its the only make I think that offers a life time garantee. On any jacket the variable heat control is a definate advantage to have ive used the chilli one on 3 different vests.
Once uve tried one you will be hooked.

Klan

Hi Chris, just gone down the heated waistcoat route, I went for the Klan heated Jacket liner, it has heating in the collar and arms, is a warm garment in its own right. that warmth in the collar bit is wonderful.
More heated stuff here

Delivery was next day, you can have a look at mine next Sunday.

Pete A

I brought one of the old style BMW ones with the heated collar for about £110 a while back....

Best £110 spent on biking bits ever.

don't forget to look in the "discount and offer" forum -- Gerbing do a discount for GSers --

I've got a Chili heated waistcoat -- its good but would like a full heated jacket, i.e. sleeves and neck .

You don't need to know what sort I have, but I'd happily say if you asked, but with the experience it has offered I'd say:

• Get one with a variable heat controller
  • Arms and neck heating would be nice, but body heating is the most important bit!
  • Close fitting is essentail
  • The BMW product is nice kit but without variable heating and others are MUCH cheaper
  • Form follows function!

If I were minted I'd buy neither a BMW nor a repeat of the one I've actually got!

Greg

Widder with a collar. I also bought the press-stud-on arms. Top kit, love it to bits. The only jacket I'd consider as a replacement would be the Aerostich heated fleece.

Mike

I have a Gerbing with their thermostat and it's the ant's pants.
I reckon the heated collar is definately worth having - although I needed to extend the Velcro tab on my jacket's collar so it could reach it's other half.
Best riding accessory I've bought (and I've bought a few ..........).

Phil

heated top

where can you buy gerber or widder heated vest? must be be getting old!

I had a chilli one for 5 years until it broke and I replaced it with a Klan jacket liner. The heat from the arms add to the comfort level.

they seem not to want to sell the variable control (extra £35!) it would be a good idea unless, like me you wire it in via one of Rob or Norman's switches then you can keep control without having to fish for a switch.

Worth every penny, I use mine 9 months of teh year.

The Dutch(?) guy behind gebring sales usually takes a stand at Ally Pally and knocks a worthwhile slug off the usual price.

However, not much good if you're in Scotland!

Greg

Erm....what's wrong with the BWM one then chaps???

I've committed to buying Pi's one now he's apparently lost a bit of weight......'cos I said I'd have it he went out and bought a new one from SPC so I'll have it anyway, but what's not right about them??

b

Greg Masters said:
The Dutch(?) guy behind gebring sales usually takes a stand at Ally Pally and knocks a worthwhile slug off the usual price.

However, not much good if you're in Scotland!

Greg
Gert (the Dutch guy) won't be doing UK shows now Terry Salter (of Draggin Jeans) has taken on the Distribution for the UK. Terry now does the shows and already offers a discount to sponsors here. See discounts thread :thumb

Back
Top Bottom