Rotterdam to Baden Baden

RW1102

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Planning a trip to the Alps at the start of September, already received a lot of good advice from the collective and much appreciated.

I intend staying in the Baden Baden area for the first night on the way down, does anyone have a preferred route from Rotterdam to Baden Baden?

Anything on the way down that is a must etc?

Cheers

Rob :)

Usual question, number three:

You say, 'on the first night'. So, that leaves you I assume one day to get from the Dutch coast to Baden-Baden, which is about 360 miles, via the reasonably direct route. Call that six hours if you don't stop to often, down a motorway.

Drag the route across to the 'Must does' of the Ardennes and Luxemourg and it's about 400 miles. Call that eight hours as the roads will be slower, but don't stop too often.

Drag the route east, past Aachen and the 'Must do' of Koblenz and you are still a bit north of 400 miles door-to-door.

What time are you planning on kicking off in the morning and what time do you want to blow the final whistle to coincide with your arrival at your hotel?

Baden-Baden = first night down, so should see some nice motorway signs and services.
We do Amsterdam to Freudenstadt usually, get off ferry at 10.00 sometimes it can be 10.30 to 11.00 if they really screw up the disembarking, its approx 400ish miles and with usually 2 stops for food/fuel we arrive anytime from 5-6.30pm so its motorway all the way.:flag

Baden-Baden = first night down, so should see some nice motorway signs and services.

I edited my post.... :beer jug:

Yup, our intrepid jouneyist could well be looking at a super-slab day. But, let's wait to see what news he brings.

OK Guys

Thanks for the replies

Getting of the ferry from Hull, think it docks around 8:15ish

Chose Baden Baden as it seems to be about the half way mark towards the Landeck area, where I intend to base myself for a few days, and have read about the B500 and thought i would give that a go on the way down.

Nothing is set in stone, fine to do a full day's riding, but would like to call it an end at about 6-7ish.

Well, you now know the mileage involved, your estimated times of departure and arrival and have plotted the rest of your jaunt. You'll have the first day mapped out in two shakes. :thumb

Baden Baden is very big.

Wissembourg is smaller but very nice - and on the doorstep of the Black Forest.

I would still recommend starting the B500 after Baden Baden though :thumb2

the B500 is a very nice road from BB south. Avoid it if your journey is on the weekend as there will be lots of other traffic & police. In the week it is usually fine. Plenty of other scenic routes to get from BB to the Austrian border - just use a Michelin map & look for green squigglies.

I've been down there a few times and like the other guys say you will end up on motorways all day if you plan to do it in one day. I did ot again last year and we arrived at Rotterdam from Hull in the morning and used the M-ways to get through Holland (Dordrecht - Breda- Eindoven- Gellen-Aachen etc) and then around Aachen head south on the B258 towards the Nurbugring. These are fantastic roads but watch out for the rozzers if you plan a bit of scratching. From the Ring I would head down to the Mossel Valley where you can either go down it to Trier or cross it towards Kaiserslauten. Theres some great roads to the south of Kaiserslauten including a cracking one at Johaniskreuz (spelling), its a great bikers meeting point.

I would then head to a place already mentioned (Wissenbourg) which is really picturesque as is all of that region and in September there are loads of Winefests. Baden Baden is not far away but the last few times I have been they seem to shut the fery across the Rhein however its not a long ride south to the next bridge. I recon if you stop off between Kaiserslauten and Wissenbourg thats a good days riding, any more will be endurance and its also a good time to stop if Landeck is your next stop off:thumb2

As time was an issue for us last year we went from Amsterdam to Kempten in a day motorway all the way. 1100 - 1930 530 miles. Broke the back of the trip leaving us to play from that point onwards.
Stayed at Hotel Der Furstenhof €74 for bed and breakfast bang in the middle of Kempten.

That's too far, may as well get on a sleeper train.

I would ride to the Nurburgring, only for atmosphere though, don't ruin your holiday on day one, grab a ring taxi if your feeling racey,

Go by motorway most of the way if you insist.

After the nurburgring then head a little further South to the mosel valley and stay at gasthaus moselhoe (spelling). Superb place, run by biker (Peter) and always full of bikers. Friday night is barbecue night.

Next day you can do the B500 and either head to Landeck, a bit of a long day, or stay near lake Constance, leaving a 3 or 4 hour ride next morning.

Or think, this blokes talking bollocks, and do your own thing.

Baden Baden is very big.

Cooperman, do you by chance live in a village with less than 100 inhabitants? :D

Baden-Baden is not really large - about 50,000 inhabitants. I agree wth you that Wissembourg is very nice, but it is rather dead after 5pm..

For anyone travelling from Baden-Baden to the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse (B500), the Michaelstunnel in BAD is currently closed for renovation and will be closed for the remainder of this year. This might confuse your sat-nav and it's also creating one or two traffic problems at peak periods.

Another "must do" for most visitors is Schauinsland, but note that it's closed to bikes on weekends and public holidays.

Thanks for all the advice, looking at changing a few things around.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a ring taxi?, is it you can get taken around the ring in a car, also can you just turn up, pay your money and take youe bike onto the track.

also can you just turn up, pay your money and take youe bike onto the track.

Only if the track is open to the public! It wasn't open til 5pm the day we turned up last August:(

We were heading to Seebach, not far from Baden Baden, so we didn't have time to wait.

Next time:thumb

Assuming you are not bothered about being in a Town I would recommend Pension Williams at Seebach, about 25 miles south of Baden (A nice ride down what I think is the best part of the B500)

At around £25pppn for decent accomodation you can't go wrong, and I would assume staying in Baden will add a premium, but on the other hand it is a nice town.

Been that way a few times, I normally do Antwerp, Liege.

Do remember that depending on time of day there will be traffic jams...

After Baden-Baden follow the B500, nice enough....

Casper

Back
Top Bottom