First impressions of my new S10

Monty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I picked my nice black beastie up today, and I have covered a mere 100 miles so far. First impressions? Well, a lot better than the already positive test ride and I am absolutely loving it.

The handling is a little heavier than the 1200GS, but very marginal. Where the test bike felt like a barge, my one does not. I put this down to tyre pressures and suspension setup. I have no immediate plans to get the suspension tweaked, as I think the rear is much better as standard than the GS was.

Engine is silky smooth when cruising, but with a little growling roughness and character when accelerating. My first ride pottering around returned an indicated 55mpg, and if this remains at 50mpg or more I will be delighted.

My panniers are on their way to me at the moment (last seen somewhere in Germany) and I hope to fit them in the next week. I have already fitted the Touratwat screen adjuster / sat nav bar and the sidestand enlarger. Both purchased from Cliff at Adventure Bike Shop, and he has them in stock at the moment. :thumb

Out again tomorrow. Coffee at Snape Maltings, a trundle around Suffolk, lunch at a pub on the coast somewhere and then back home for tea and crumpets. Spiffing!

Matt

As it's brand spanking new ....

Don't hooligan thrash it, but do load it. Find some long gentle hills and really work it hard up the hill but without thrashing the revs.

In 9 months time It'll go like a train!!

Don't hooligan thrash it, but do load it. Find some long gentle hills and really work it hard up the hill but without thrashing the revs.

Will do. Cheers! :thumb

Enjoy!

I had a holiday in Thorpeness a couple of years ago, some lovely roads round that neck of the woods - perfect biking weather as well I hope!!

have fun and enjoy :beerjug:
as you say ride it then put the farkles on that you need , not ones that you think you might need :augie

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Hi Monty,

great news - you will love it.

I also bought the same gear from Cliff for my S10 last week along with the TT lockable Zumo mount.

Mine is at Bowers today for an Arrow system, K&N filter and a PC V.

If you are ever near BSE and fancy a brew to discuss farkles, let me know.

Cheers
Rod

Hi folks,

I picked my nice black beastie up today, and I have covered a mere 100 miles so far. First impressions? Well, a lot better than the already positive test ride and I am absolutely loving it.

The handling is a little heavier than the 1200GS, but very marginal. Where the test bike felt like a barge, my one does not. I put this down to tyre pressures and suspension setup. I have no immediate plans to get the suspension tweaked, as I think the rear is much better as standard than the GS was.

Engine is silky smooth when cruising, but with a little growling roughness and character when accelerating. My first ride pottering around returned an indicated 55mpg, and if this remains at 50mpg or more I will be delighted.

My panniers are on their way to me at the moment (last seen somewhere in Germany) and I hope to fit them in the next week. I have already fitted the Touratwat screen adjuster / sat nav bar and the sidestand enlarger. Both purchased from Cliff at Adventure Bike Shop, and he has them in stock at the moment. :thumb

Out again tomorrow. Coffee at Snape Maltings, a trundle around Suffolk, lunch at a pub on the coast somewhere and then back home for tea and crumpets. Spiffing!

Matt

Health to enjoy matt, It gets a lot better mate,:D

so it'll be late with no buffet car ? :confused:

What luggage are you fitting?

I really fancy an S10 next, but the Yamaha luggage is way too small for two-up touring, would be interested to hear about your setup.

I really fancy an S10 next, but the Yamaha luggage is way too small for two-up touring, would be interested to hear about your setup.

I am going for the bespoke S10 setup from Holan. A stepped pannier as per the GSA, 45 litres right side and about 41 on the left, stepped side. The racks are very tight to the bike so the whole thing is meant to be about 97cm wide.

They are currently sitting in Colchester at the local Parcelforce depot, and will be with me on Monday. I will fit them during the week and take some photos. Holan asked me for photos for their web site too, as they want more "real" installation pics.

Holan have been a pleasure to deal with. Aleksandra is fluent in English so no problems there, and the bank transfer was straightforward. All I need now is to see the panniers and actually make sure they are ok!!

And I really fancied an S10, so I decided to stop over-analysing everything as I usually do and just go for it. I am VERY pleased I did, and yesterday I was riding as comfortably and as fast as I ever did on the GS. The S10 engine is so full of torque that I was able to keep up a really good pace and not break the "not over 3900rpm for prolonged periods" recommendation during the first 600 miles.

Regards,

Matt

Regards,

Matt

Go Touratech or dump the wife, she's too much baggage:D

How much is the Holan getup?

I was looking at SW-Motech Trax or Givi Trekkers (£1000 - £1250 I think)

A shame the Yamaha stuff ain't bigger as there are low mileage 2010 1st Editions with luggage for under £9k lurking about.

Hoping by end of summer I will have enough cash to sell GS and buy / kit out a Tenere, unless the new Honda is the best bike ever made.

How much is the Holan getup?

I was looking at SW-Motech Trax or Givi Trekkers (£1000 - £1250 I think)

A shame the Yamaha stuff ain't bigger as there are low mileage 2010 1st Editions with luggage for under £9k lurking about.

Hoping by end of summer I will have enough cash to sell GS and buy / kit out a Tenere, unless the new Honda is the best bike ever made.

All the prices are on their web site...

http://www.holan.pl/en/product/24/2...ystem_with_NOMADA_Pro_cases_for_Yamaha_ST1200

I bought the cases, frames, inner bags and a headlight protector. I should get them tomorrow and I will let you know what they are like!

Cheers,

Matt

I can report that the Holan cases are installed. A bit of a faff, but they look good and seem good value. Like budget Touratech, really. You can see where they are cheaper, but... They are a LOT cheaper!

The real bonus is they are 38" / 97cm wide so not much different to the bars. For almost 90 litres capacity that is pretty good, and better than most alternatives such as the Touratech 31 / 38 combo that is 41" / 105cm.

Photos tomorrow with a bit of luck. I need a beer!

Of anyone is at the Adventure Bike Shop tomorrow I will be there.

Matt

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hi Matt,

I will try and get over today although it will be probably near to closing time 2pm?

Hopefully see you then

Rod

Hi Matt,

I will try and get over today although it will be probably near to closing time 2pm?

Hopefully see you then

Rod

I am not sure how long I will be there today, but hopefully our paths will cross. I need to do some miles today!

Matt

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom