Mixed feelings!

steviesavage

Reaction score
hi all, I just registered here as I have just been offered a new job having been made redundant over a year ago - and yes, that's how long it took (and 200 applications) to find another job!
BUT since the new job will involve a 30 mile trek through motorways, A roads, and heavy rush hour traffic, all year round, I want something with the following features: Rugged (for all year round riding and no garage!), comfort, road presence, low maintenance, large luggage capacity, economy.
Now if someone could find me a better match than a GS, I'll eat my proverbial hat!! :)

The only slight misgiving I have is about the filtering abilities of a large GS in traffic.

I currently ride an R1, but the very first thread I read here indicated that sports bikes and their riders are held in disdain here. I love my R1, until now it has done everything I needed, and well. I ride all year round, I've done track days, commuting, camping, most things. I have also worn what you call 'power ranger' one-piece leathers. So I don't think it is very broad minded to assume that sports bike riders are all the same and bleat on about how clever GS riders all are because they can 'surprise' all these 'power rangers'. Please just let's all ride together, accept what each other has chosen to ride and just enjoy our own bikes!

A twat is a twat no matter what bike they ride and I believe it is as simple as that.

So cheers for having me and could someone please point me in direction of a well-priced R1200 GS please? CHEERS, Steve :beerjug:

Welcome aboard. 30 mile a day commute? Buy a Honda CB500. :thumb

Welcome I have used lots of bikes for my 60 mile return commute inc gs GSA rt capponord Fjr and I think my next bike will be a 800 cc twin of gs flavour JJH

Welcome Steve.

Actually most of us have additional 'rockets' and Hog's :ronno even scoots.
BTW much of the banter is just that, not to mention the attitude against the 'posh' BMW riders the majority of other bikers have.
You will have to be a subscriber in order to access the For sale section though.

thanks all!

got someone coming to view the R1 tomorrow, so it could be all systems go on the new bike after that!

CB500, hmmmm, not sure i'd want to ride it to Dorset and back in appalling weather, as I will often need to do :)

thanks all!

got someone coming to view the R1 tomorrow, so it could be all systems go on the new bike after that!

CB500, hmmmm, not sure i'd want to ride it to Dorset and back in appalling weather, as I will often need to do :)

On nice days I commute 32 miles (each way) on my '96 Fireblade. It's awesome!

On bad days I commute on my F800GS, as it has heated grips and is wired for a heated jacket. Smother it in ACF50 and it shrugs off winter road crap too.

far better in town than a 1200GS as it's so much lighter. Probably not much narrower from bar to bar...

actually one of the other contenders is an F800 ST, I reckon that might also work well for my requirements.

Shame I have to pay to see what's for sale, when I may not know whether I'll have a GS before I see the For Sale section! Would much rather buy from someone on here.

Greetings & salutations, welcome to the site....:thumb2

I don't have a 2nd bike, cos work is done via plane, train & automobile...but I'm sure muchos opinion will be given here for your commuter....:D

actually one of the other contenders is an F800 ST, I reckon that might also work well for my requirements.

Have a read on ADVRIDER as well as here....they are the US version of us, although they started out as an 'all-brand' forum and UKGSer obviously is still more focussed on the GS marque. (it's not a BMW by the way, it's a GS :thumb)

There's a good write up all about the F800 ST HERE over on ADVRIDER.

I've not ridden one, so in fairness I can't relaly judge it apart from to say that given the choice of an 800 GS or the ST, I'd definitely go for the GS....
commuting everyday is fine for the GS, but at weekends, I'd want to be able to go and have the sort of fun that the ST wouldn't provide :beerjug:

Another vote for the 800GS as a commuter bike - I love mine, ride in all weathers and it's a cracking heavy traffic bike, I'm confident filtering thru all sorts on mine!

:thumb

Sports bike riders are the upper echelon here.............. :rob

Keep the R-1...... You know it makes sense :thumb2

Al :D

The TDM 850 / 900 also makes a great commuter bike. Can pick them up for peanuts now too, and keep the R1 for the weekend!

I bought the 1150GS a few days back and owned the F650 single previously. The F650 was more fun to maneuver in traffic but would snatch like mad pulling from low revs, the new 650/800 twins might be better but I cant say as I haven't ridden one yet.

The GS is more comfortable and I change gears less frequently as its got more grunt low down, having said that...the F650 felt quicker right off the throttle.

The first few days were a bit intimidating but have got used to the low COG of the bike, guess it was more of a mental block, looking at the size :).

Back
Top Bottom