New project

AberdeenAngus

Reaction score
Finally made the space in the garage to start the next project - 1955 R25/3.
Bought this off a neighbour who was clearing out his stables. It was imported from Thailand about 12 years ago and has sat in the barn ever since. Not bad condition. Reckon this will get a service, some new tyres and that's about it. Run it for a while and see what drops off.
I think the paint is original. Will need to source an original carb sometime, do a re-wire.....and maybe get a period tennis ball.
I’ll save the proper strip down till next winter.
Some piccies ...

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 445
I've got the next model up. R26 with earles forks..:thumb2
Used it as daily commute for 4 years 1972/76..
great bike, very reliable and 70 mpg. always got my parts from Markhouse motors Lahhndahhn..

Best chance now for parts will be BEMW of Derby.. probably off the shelf as well :thumb2
http://www.bemw.co.uk/index.aspx

PS, I've also got the original USA edition workshop manual for all the singles :)
I made my own wiring loom, a lot easier than I thought and it's still working now :O
Only awkward bits are if you have the handlebar flashing indicators fitted..

I've got the next model up. R26 with earles forks..:thumb2
Used it as daily commute for 4 years 1972/76..
great bike, very reliable and 70 mpg. always got my parts from Markhouse motors Lahhndahhn..

Best chance now for parts will be BEMW of Derby.. probably off the shelf as well :thumb2
http://www.bemw.co.uk/index.aspx

PS, I've also got the original USA edition workshop manual for all the singles :)
I made my own wiring loom, a lot easier than I thought and it's still working now :O
Only awkward bits are if you have the handlebar flashing indicators fitted..

R26 - pretty much the same bike!
Any chance of a copy of the manual, Proff?
New wiring loom is a definite. Took the headlight off last night and there's a rats nest of bad wiring in there - all the same colour :eek: I think starting again will be best.
Thanks for the links - very useful.

Have you been ok running on plain unleaded or are you using an additive ?

I lived in Surabaya, Indonesia, in the 80's they have a fantastic R 25 group of over two hundred menbers and a total of 350 bikes between them. They had been imported by Dutch plantations companies in the 50's. Sadley since then many have been bought by expats and brought back to the west. The group is still alive though and have an active club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGcoZHq8Ipo&feature=related

Check out the site above, there many great vids from other Indinesian BMW clubs as well.

Just came back from a tour in Germany (car, not bike, sadly) and while in the Pfalz / Palatinate forest (less well known than the Black Forest, but has some cracking roads which I rode many times when I was living out there) I followed an R25 through an extended twisty section near Kaiserslautern (could have been an R26, forgot to memorise the front end) and I have to say, the rider knew what he was doing and the bike was doing it.

Back
Top Bottom