christmas presents

Pthagonal

ok for those of you who are interested..

take a look at this

pic_bowl_big.jpg

this is a bowl my dad turned..

so if your interested in something for christmas for yourself or for her indoors.. :)

there are a few more similar for sale over here

www.well-turned.com

All the pieces are hand made, and beautifully finished, all of the wood has been sourced in Ireland from natural sources, none of it is commercially bought..

some of you will have seen some of his work from the lahinch weekend raffle where they were prizes.. (those that wern't to drunk to rememeber)

anyways

there are some more bowls, platters, candlesticks etc for sale on the website in the for sale section..

any GS'r that wants something gets 10% discount ..

if your interested contact me or email from the site..

regards

Pthag

Lahinch raffle prize winner :)

Proud owner of one of Ian's Dads pieces of art.

Attachments

• screenshot050.jpg
    screenshot050.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 546
Pthagonal said:

pic_bowl_big.jpg

this is a bowl my dad turned..

:confused:

from straight to gay?
from gay to straight?
from a life of crime?

Into what?

What sort of tyre is that?
What sort of mileage do you get?

Is it some sort of safety device?

We need to know.
Steve

Re: Re: christmas presents

from straight to gay?
from gay to straight?
from a life of crime?

wouldnt you like to know.. :)

What sort of tyre is that?

its special, :) ebonised spalted beech, very hard wearing

What sort of mileage do you get?

not sure, around about 150 years.. if yer lucky.. and keep it oiled, probaly more..

Is it some sort of safety device?

only if yer head comes in contact with it repetedly, (its nice n heavy) :)

We need to know.
Steve [/B][/QUOTE]

:p

pthag

Fanum said:
Handsome bowl....what's the wood pthag??

spalted beech..

beech is left outside under plastic for a few months.. in a special place not too hot or too wet.. and its covered with sour milk.. and basocally left to seep..,

this seeps through the wood grains and darkens the lines to help get the contrast of colours.. then its prepared - rough turned to shape.. then its left for a few more months to cure n dry and then turned to finish.. then left to dryout more then polished and finished again..

the edge is shaped and texturised with a special tool.. and stained with ebony dye and the whole bowl is polished.. and oiled..

a good bowl takes months and months to do..

they should last longer than any of us.. once theay are kept oiled and cleaned..

spaletd beech is my fav.. alyhough the apple woods are lovely too.. he alos works in oak and cherry as weell as norlam beech and mahogony..

but you can turn anything.. if your good enough.. different woods are better for different things..

pthag

Wooden Tops

I would like to order a 'Pudding Basin' helmet turned out of Lignum Vitae, size 57 please. Solid wood of this grain would certainly protect me from the elements if not a fall.

Wood'nt you know it

Wooden Tops

Meet the Haida tribe.

havwa02b.jpg

These guys were the North American native people's equivalent of the vikings; hammering settlements all up and down the North Pacific coast. Circa the late 18th century they were certainly behaving pretty badly and making the Hells Angels of today look tame.

Musketry, alcohol and wooden helmets were their WMD:-

havwa01a.jpg

Lucky for the europeans who stepped ashore, they didn't have motorcycles.

So the technology gap, along with the booze, spelt pretty much the end of the story for the wooden helmet market.

"Whatever happens we have got, the Maxim gun and they have not."

Attachments

• max.jpg
    max.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 223

Back
Top Bottom