Sump gaurd nounts

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The thread was striped on one, so i ordered new pair from Motorworks. Just tried to replace and now its broke off leaving the thread stud in the sump:(
Is this a nightmare to have it drilled out and re-fitted? Which is the only way forward now ?????
Tar
Nige

Yes it's a nightmare trying to drill out from underneath.

Mine is held on by two threaded mounts (diagonally opposed).
The other two have mounts bolted to the guard and the upper threads cut off - stops the guard rattling around.

Holds perfectly well like this.

It's a sump guard, so all it has to do is absorb shocks coming upwards from under the bike, and the mountings need to be strong enough to stop it from being dragged off by a rock, or more likely, by the edge of a rut.

Most will survive with one or more mounting point broken........it might well be worth wiring it on to some other points though.

I've also seen bash plates glued on with a rubber bobbin of some sort (exhaust mounts seem popular) and some serious glue like araldite or no more nails or similar.

Ive just put it back on with three mounts secured. Two at the front and one at the rear. I'm sure this will be fine. If another fails i will get it drilled....
Cheers Tossers:thumb2

Nounts?.........

Different thread but principle is the same. I would try tapping it with a centre punch to see if you can back it out. Should be free enough. Or a left hand drill. Throw the bike on its side and should be accessible enough.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3003048&postcount=3

Are you talking about the rear or front bolts? The rear 2 are rubber flex mount studs so if sheared off they should be easy enough to back out. Front 2 are M6 and M8 but come off with the steel bracket which bolts to the engine. I took these off and drilled and tapped the M6 bracket hole to M8 and replaced the E bolts with ordinary M8 stainless bolts. Means I only need an M13 socket or spanner to take off all 4 bolts now...

Are you talking about the rear or front bolts?

Read my previous post
here it went something like this....
Its now refitted, two at the front and only one at the back.....
So, if the two are secured at the front and only one at the back......
Where do you think the one is missing.
A Front
or
B back ?

Read my previous post
here it went something like this....
Its now refitted, two at the front and only one at the back.....
So, if the two are secured at the front and only one at the back......
Where do you think the one is missing.
A Front
or
B back ?

Nice to know the time I took to answer your post is appreciated. Yeah, I missed the ref to back bolts 'cos I only read the first post, but sure.....that's what this forum is all about.. taking the piss....... not the advice/experience offered....what the hell..... ride safe......:aidan TOWIE

Nice to know the time I took to answer your post is appreciated. yeah missed the ref to back bolts cos i only read the first post but sure.....that's what this forum is all about.. taking the piss....... not the advice/experience offered.....but what the hell..... ride safe......:aidan

Thanks for your input Nobby.... :thumb2

You know I love you :kissy2

I had to drill the front right hand one out of my bike, as previously mentioned centre punch it and go slowly with the drill. I measured the depth of one of the other holes to make sure I didn't drill right through. With the bike on the sidestand and a roll mat on the garage floor to lie on, it wasn't too bad a job.

I had to drill the front right hand one out of my bike, as previously mentioned centre punch it and go slowly with the drill. I measured the depth of one of the other holes to make sure I didn't drill right through. With the bike on the sidestand and a roll mat on the garage floor to lie on, it wasn't too bad a job.

Thanks Doc.
Sounds doable for me....:D

If you don't go off road then don't bother fitting the sump guard. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom