Is it polite to ask if you can watch mechanic work?

Tranctek

Reaction score
Hi,

I read on the internet and through advice that it is recommended to watch your mechanic closely as he works on your Bike to be sure he is being honest. However I would feel weird asking this because it's basically saying "i don't trust you". what is your opinion on this?

It depends where you get your bike serviced.

I had a chap who came to my house to do it and I watched everything he did, when I wasn't making tea.

Very interesting, I spotted a few things which I'm glad I saw rather than being handed a finished service. Also, he talked through things which enlightened me about certain areas of the bike.

I always watch my mechanic closely when he's working on my bike.......not because I don't trust him (though he is a bit of a geezer :D) but I just enjoy talking bollocks with Neil and learning from what he does :thumb2

Rather than approach it from the trust point of view, why not say 'I would love you watch you if that's ok, I want to lean as much about my bike as possible, how about I go buy some doughnuts for us and I'll keep out of your way while I watch?'

You may find some proper dealerships who don't like 'the public' in their work areas for H&S reasons, but I doubt there are many independents who would not let you watch in exchange for a bit of flattery and a packet of doughnuts :D

It depends where you get your bike serviced.

I had a chap who came to my house to do it and I watched everything he did, when I wasn't making tea.

Very interesting, I spotted a few things which I'm glad I saw rather than being handed a finished service. Also, he talked through things which enlightened me about certain areas of the bike.

Thank You for Replay

tuftywhite Is any chance get him to have look on my G450x ?

If he is worth his salt then he shouldnt mind you watching but be aware that sometimes percussion adjustment can make an owner cringe ;) Main dealers tend to state that their garage insurance forbids non authorised personnel in the workshop (H+S law)

I doubt if he'll travel to Durham. If I were you I'd ask around on here for a recommendation for an independent in your area.

Thanks.

Is anybody know Mick Kendrick From Sunderland If not

where I can Ask for any good BMW INDEPENDENT Service?

Thanks.

Is anybody know Mick Kendrick From Sunderland If not

where I can Ask for any good BMW INDEPENDENT Service?

i dont know mick but i do have his number if you want it?, he was recomended to me when i had my funduro last year,

but i ended up taking it to VTS (mark raine) up at consett . no other reason other than i know mark and he was worked on my and my mates bikes in the past

It depends.............

Attachments

• 000aaa.bmp
    97.6 KB · Views: 404
From the trade side of the fence we had a customer who entered our workshop and fell down a open inspection pit..:eek: which was in use at the time.He was asked to wait in reception while we looked at his car,there were signs in place saying no public entry and a closed hatch on the reception desk which he opened to get through.Luckily he said it was his fault and he should not have been there,if he had not said this i would not like to imagine what the lawyer and insurance co would have said should he had chosen to go down that route.:eek:
Another view could also be that by having someone standing over you observing are they gaining the benifit of your knowledge to avoid having to have you do things for them in the future.

I am a mobile mechanic and I don't mind people watching so long as they don't get in my way and keep me topped up with tea and biscuits.

The area between the back of my van and the front of their car is out of bounds to them especially if the weather is not too good. Funnily not too many want to watch in winter.

Hi,

I read on the internet and through advice that it is recommended to watch your mechanic closely as he works on your Bike to be sure he is being honest. However I would feel weird asking this because it's basically saying "i don't trust you". what is your opinion on this?

Well, I'm sure if you put it to him that way he'd be delighted to let you watch.

I have been a mechanic for the last 39 years and do not mind in the least someone watching what I do, I think it makes you feel valued when a person takes an interest in what you do. Also passing on knowledge of the workings of his or her bike helps them to perhaps treat it better? I know some mechanics who do not like to be watched but that doesn't mean that they are trying to hide something, I think it makes them nervous but I'm not sure they would admit to that.

http://pyreneesmotorcycletours.com

ride the best roads

There is of course the "distraction element" which nobody seems to have picked up on.
The question the poster should ask himself is wether he would mind it if the boot was on the other foot ?
Bikes are emotive objects and the short answer is "no i don't like being watched"
Asolutely nothing to hide etc other than the bike I'm working deserves no less than 100% concentration on my part without some one yackin in my ear hole.
If you know me well enough you'll know where I'm coming from.

When I bought my GS, it was my first BMW, I took it to Neil for a full service and asked if it was ok to watch as I wanted to learn about the bike, having only had Jap 4's in the past. He was very obliging and gave me lots of interesting information about the bike, about what to do to keep it in good nick and also what was oversold bollocks.

It would be an interesting excercise for someone to find out how many BMW dealers would allow customers to go into the workshop to chat to the technicians.

Back
Top Bottom