Daytona - the best glove in the world?

Cheesy Mike

I just saw the following glove at the US importer of Daytona boots

voyage_outer_with_cuff.jpg

Product Info

Cost $161 including sales tax. UK equivalent £92.

It is a relatively lightweight leather / goretex glove made by Daytona. It has a neoprene inner storm cuff and a velcro fastened cuff that goes over the outside of your jacket.

To me it is the holy grail of wet weather gloves. For dry weather I love the Aerostich Elkskin Roper gloves. The Daytona is a good quality waterproof glove that I can use on the GS with its handshields and heated grips (so I don't need big thick heavy gloves in Winter) that will also fit under the cuffs of a fabric jacket (Hein Gericke Voyager) so that I don't get a glove full of water. Nobody in the UK does such a glove. You can get Goretex gloves but most of them are so heavyweight around the wrist that you can't get them under the jacket. This one solves it by having a double cuff. Hein Gericke have a double cuff glove but it is a hulking great big winter jobbie that is not needed on a GS.

Unfortunately they didn't have my size otherwise I would have bought it there and then. So, does anyone know of a UK outlet for Daytona gloves? Google doesn't show anything.

Mike

Mike,

I didn't even know Daytona made gloves - although, if they are as good as their boots, I'd certainly consider them.

Have you looked at BMW Summer Rain Gloves? I've used them, with Cabela's silk inners, and found them to be waterproof and comfortable. £60ish, if memory serves. The cuff fits easily under the sleeve of my jacket and they're well made...

Mike:)

Mike O said:
Mike,

I didn't even know Daytona made gloves - although, if they are as good as their boots, I'd certainly consider them.

Ditto. I never knew. And they do look every bit as good as the boots.

I tried the BMW gloves and while they were nice they felt cheap and nasty in comparison with the Daytona.

Mike

Tony's of Prestatyn were the official UK importer but he has just retired. The website has this:

After 43 years in the Motorcycle Trade, I have decided to retire. The rights to import and distribute Daytona Boots, Melvin Braided Brake Hoses and the Kellermann Range of Indicators etc, will be taken over from Monday October 11th 2003 by the national distributors:-
TRAN AM
William House,
Gore Road,
New Milton.
Hants. BH25 6RJ
All Trade Enquiries should be made to them, or consult them for your nearest dealer. E.Mail:- Info@Tranam.Co.UK
Our premises at Kinmel Bay will close on Tuesday October 5th.

Their website is http://www.tranam.co.uk/ but it has not been updated with the new products. Give them a ring or email. They may have plans to import the gloves (incidentally the www.daytona.de site has no evidence of them!)

Slight Hijack

My Daytona boots leaked this week. 1 year old , always cleaned and treated with their own muck.

Gutted.

Cheesy Mike said:
Wessie you are a star. I have sent them an email.

Mike
I'am also interested in a pair of these if you find anything out Mike.

Re: Slight Hijack

Ian Dowsett said:
My Daytona boots leaked this week. 1 year old , always cleaned and treated with their own muck.

Gutted.

Both pairs I've had eventually leaked - one pair at 2 yrs old - needed new soles anyway - had them repaired and they're now waterproof again - second pair at 6 months - repaired foc under warranty.

They are still the most comfortable boots I've ever had - & their customer service is excellent...

Mike:)

Found Them!

I just spoke to TranAm. Very nice people. They knew all about the glove, but interestingly haven't pushed it because they are so new at the Daytona game.

The UK retail price for the glove is £90

They suggested I speak to the biggest UK dealer for Daytona boots - GLF near Bedford on 01525 717009. When I called them the chap's response was "Daytona make gloves? Wow, they must be good". He is now going off to investigate more but confirmed that he could get them at a couple of days notice. They might even take some up to the NEC. Result.

b.t.w. GLF's shop will be closed from 2nd November until the end of the NEC show in case you are thinking of getting in contact with them.

Infinity are also big Daytona dealers and they should be able to get the gloves as well.

Mike

Pidcocks have 2 pairs left size 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 £ 89.99. Asked Carl the clothing man there yesterday if he had seen any of these gloves and he hadn't. A phone call later he said they will be here tomorrow, ordered 3 pairs, XL ( 9 1/2 ), XXL ( 10 )and XXXL ( 10 1/2 ). Lovely glove. Find out if they are as waterproof as they claim soon. Thats my chrissy present sorted. If you fancy a pair give Carl a ring on 0115 9692200.

Attachments

• gloves 003.jpg
    gloves 003.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 342
Recieved my Aerostich elk skin gloves today, thanks to Cheesy Mike....

Nice.

Attachments

• screenshot040.jpg
    screenshot040.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 322
Just spoke to the man at GLF. He's going to be taking a load of Daytona gloves to the NEC show. They wont be on display, something about having to show Held gear. But if you ask, they will have them.

Whatton said:
Recieved my Aerostich elk skin gloves today, thanks to Cheesy Mike....

Nice.

This is what they look like after a couple of years. Still as good as new.

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 317
They're made of thick but really soft leather. A nice touch is the strip of rubber on the LH thumb for wiping visors. Although I doubt if they're very waterproof. Looking forward to trying them out. :)

Kev take it from me they are like sponges when it rains. Take bloody ages to dry out. For normal day to day riding they are brill.

Daytona. Mmmmmmm.....

Elkskin. Mmmmmm.....

I don't have a pair of Daytona gloves yet but I will soon.

As for the Elkskin Ropers soaking up water, yes they do. You can proof them for light to medium showers - put them on, grab some Renapur or similar then rub it all over the gloves while you are wearing them. It softens them up even more and also locks in that lovely grime to give the glove a loved look!

Mike

Found a pair of gloves at the NEC today identical to the Daytonas shown above, even down to the tag with the four letters on.... don't recall Daytona being on the finger though.

Pluvio Goretex with the inner and outer cuff, the outer includes a mesh drainage hole to the underside. £70 at the show.

Did I buy them... err, no, talked out of it by my mates who reckon Hein Gericke do a similar glove for less money. We shall see but if not this is one serious glove that I'll have to hunt down and buy.

Adam :)

Daytona

'Tonys of Prestatyn' are the main Daytona importer for the boots so you may get some help there. They only sell to the trade so even if they can get them you may have to nominate a local dealer but Tonys should be able to identify one for you.

Re: Daytona

Paul Dilley said:
'Tonys of Prestatyn' are the main Daytona importer for the boots so you may get some help there. They only sell to the trade so even if they can get them you may have to nominate a local dealer but Tonys should be able to identify one for you.

Paul - old news. See the 3rd or 4th post down in this thread for details of the new importer.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom