Throttle cables replacement issue

mrfandangle

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys. Replaced the above on my 2000 1150GS. All went fairly good until...........The problem I am having is I cannot get any play in the left hand (Longest) throttle body cable. Have tried both old and new cable on this side but the throttle cam (the bit the cable locates in) will not rest on the at rest position stop. As mentioned I cannot get any free play on this side. I had taken a photo to ensure it all goes in the same way as it came out in the cable distribution box This is with all the cables adjusted in their most slack position. Any ideas please? Many thanks
Glen

Where did you source the parts from. Mine came from nippy Normans I think and one of the cables was short. Steptoe mentioned BMW parts also had a batch of short cables when he adjusted mine. Try putting the lock nut on the other side to help with clearance

Where did you source the parts from. Mine came from nippy Normans I think and one of the cables was short. Steptoe mentioned BMW parts also had a batch of short cables when he adjusted mine. Try putting the lock nut on the other side to help with clearance

Thanks Flatdog. Compaired it to the one that came off and they appear the same length. They are BMW ones sourced from Motorworks.

Right I have now laid the cables side by side. The new cable's outer is approx 5mm longer than the one taken off with the inners being the same length.....

Have put the old cable back in. Though its better than the new cable this one is also devoid of slack. This is with the adjusters all the way in. So I guess its always been like this.

Wrong cable already fitted?

The process of the previous throttle body balance was wrong perhaps and the throttle stop screws etc were not adjusted correctly?

Is the initial slack really required before balancing can begin? The cable adjusters on mine were about half way in/out in adjustment anyhow before I changed the cables.

Sorry for the questions. I am just trying to get it straight in my own mind first.

Last edited:
Had the same problem on the early 1150 that I used to own. There are several variations of throttle cable, it would seem, and not all are documented - mine was a real oddball. Memory says that it may have something to do with using up stocks of 1100 cable uppers which are different. Or that could be cobblers, of course!

I ended up making some subtle modifications to the twist grip to accommodate the new cable, as I could not get any slack in the upper cable at all.

Had the same problem on the early 1150 that I used to own. There are several variations of throttle cable, it would seem, and not all are documented - mine was a real oddball. Memory says that it may have something to do with using up stocks of 1100 cable uppers which are different. Or that could be cobblers, of course!

I ended up making some subtle modifications to the twist grip to accommodate the new cable, as I could not get any slack in the upper cable at all.

Fitted the upgrade parts to the twist grip end so the cable from the handle bars to the box is good. Right cable to throttle body is good. Its just the left one. Have been back on the phone and spoken to Darren at Motorworks who has been very helpful. It seems that some cables have different coloured inners/liners (white and black) and this corresponds it seems to a difference in cable outer length (+ or - 5mm or so), and I would imagine manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom