Improvements to riding position 1100GS

Jurassic Mark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,
I've just bought my first 1100GS from Bryn of this parish. I'm loving it so far and IMHO it's much better than my previous 1200GSA. I have one issue so far and that's the riding position. I'm 6'3" and find the bike a bit cramped between the seat and foot pegs. I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem and if so what have you done to improve it. I've found a set of TT foot pegs that give you an extra 1 1/4 leg room. Are there any alternatives or is this the only way to get a bit more space? At present the angles of the seating position pushes my weight onto the base of my backbone which gets uncomfortable. I need to rotate my whole body forward a bit but this is currently not possible because of the angle of knee bend.
Hope this makes some kind of sense and I would be very interested if anyone else had the same issue and how they dealt with it.
Cheers
Mark

Look up

Tony Archer

The expert on seats he would be able to make it higher and sort the comfort for a reasonable price

Have you put the seat in the higher position ?

Seat is in the higher position. You think a new seat is the way forward or a re work of the original?

Forgot to ask, who is the expert on seats? Is there one on this site?

I am 6 5 and have similar problem, I found that a set of lower pegs or peg lowerers and a seat sorted the problem, I went for a second hand Corbin

I raised the seat - now 38" high (uncompressed)
Lowered the pegs - SW-Motech (wider and lower)
Raised the bars 30mm

now perfect for my 6'5 frame.

I found lowering the pegs, fitting bar risers, pushing the bars forwards slightly and getting seat rebuilt so it has a flatter profile has helped improve riding position - obtained lowered pegs and bar risers from www.migsel.com and had seat rebuilt by CMS in Coventry at www.motorbike-seats.co.uk

I raised the seat - now 38" high (uncompressed)
Lowered the pegs - SW-Motech (wider and lower)
Raised the bars 30mm

now perfect for my 6'5 frame.

I am 6 5 and have similar problem, I found that a set of lower pegs or peg lowerers and a seat sorted the problem, I went for a second hand Corbin

How did you raise the standard seat to that height and does it leave a gap between the seat and the tank?

Thanks for the advice posted so far. A few Internet sites to check out for pegs and bar risers and it sounds like a seat rebuild.
Any more advice / options gratefully received.
Cheers

foot rests

Having a similar problem I went for Wunderlich foot peg lowering kit inch and a half lower on my 1150, perfect since done 80 pl;us thouand milews since in comfort!!.
dave GS

I've seen adverts for plates that fit under the seat hooks that raise the seat. Probably do the same with a few washers to see if it has the effect you want.

Might even be worthwhile thinking about converting the 1100GS seats into the 1150GSA one.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Wunderlich peg lowers are £180 which seems a lot. Migsel are doing them for €80 which seems much more reasonable. They also stock good value bar risers. Unless anyone advises otherwise I am think of this combo and then see how it goes. If not completely successful I will then look at the seat. Thanks for all the advice so far. It's great how helpful folk on here are an the speed of replies. Thank you.

Corbin is the way forward, it's taller and will seat you more comfortably

I would also ask the question on AdvRider in the 'Bikes-Oilhead' section and you'll get some more answers from the USA

I think vern had some seat raiser things... send him a pm to see if he's still got anything :beerjug:

Yes he has:thumb
When I had an 1100 I removed the seat cover took a slice of foam off the top then cut some 1" thick higher density foam to fit in then replaced the sliced bit on top before restapling the cover.

Transformed the riding position and comfort when used with lower pegs:)

Not suprised to hear you find it a better bike than a 1200GSA:D

Fitted the Migsel pegs on mine and find them much better than standard. I took an angle grinder to the very square 'bracket' bit where the pivot pin passes through as I found my heels were catching a lot of the time.

Also had to modify brake pedal and fit TT gearlever.

Aside from that, I found that moving the handlebars towards you actually gave the bike more of a front focused/streetfighter sort of feel - if that makes sense. Try it - it's free:thumb

Fitted the Migsel pegs on mine and find them much better than standard. I took an angle grinder to the very square 'bracket' bit where the pivot pin passes through as I found my heels were catching a lot of the time.

Also had to modify brake pedal and fit TT gearlever.

Aside from that, I found that moving the handlebars towards you actually gave the bike more of a front focused/streetfighter sort of feel - if that makes sense. Try it - it's free:thumb

+1 for Migsel lowered pegs. Made a positive difference. I'm about 6'2" for reference.

Just working up to getting some bar risers.

I've seen these recommended on here via this link but can't comment on them as don't have any and I've got no link to the company.

Hope you get it sorted.

Bar risers are definitely good.....I fitted mine 'backwards', EG they go up and FORWARDS rather than up and towards me......made a big difference.

Pivot pegs are also good, as they not only lower the pegs, but also allow them to....er....pivot :blast

That means your feet aren't quite as glued in position so you can rotate ankles a bit on the move.

If you wear MX boots though and have feet commensurate with your height, you may also need a gear extender.....I just couldn't fit my size 13 boots under the gear change lever with the wider Pivot pegs on and my Volvo kickers on my feet :eek:

Daft but quick idea.......loosen the bars off and twist them up/round a few inches as well......watch for taught cabling and be careful on a test ride 'cos obviously the controls will be shifted as well, but that might give you a feel for a better position you can aim for :thumb2

PS take the cash-laden brand snobs who instantly say things like 'Get a Corbin, that will 'definitely sort you out' with a bucket of salt......for one thing, one expensive seat is very different from another expensive seat in fit and suitability and you could go through the whole range before you find one that works for you, spending a couple of grand in the process....

For another, they are fucking expensive and relatively cheap and easy solutions, although they may lack the brand cache that so many of the people here seem to worship, often work far better.....treating the cause rather than the symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom