Rekluse Clutch?

Phil Reynolds

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got a Rekluse clutch fitted to their 'bike?

I've just bought a 450 EXC which has it fitted and I'm not sure I like the idea of a centrifugal force clutch. It seems they work a bit like a twist and go jobbie. I prefer what I'm used to, a normal clutch.

It would seem that they are an expensive bit of kit too - but I'm still of a mind to fit an original clutch.

What do the massive on here think?

Cheers,

Phil

They are shite, useless tat, that most riders do not benifit from. Designed for the race world but as usual numpties buy them thinking it will turn them in to David Knight over night!
They are also very dangerous to the unknowing, ie, folk trying to help you recover your stricken bike. I know as i have recovered loads of over-biked KTM riders on trail rides over the years...... ask Knobby for a start.
The bike will idle on tick-over in any gear but if the twist grip is moved slightly, it will lurch forward. So anyone with hands/fingers/legs in the way whilst lifting your bike, they'll be getting injured.

I'm sure there is a video on here somewhere of a trick KTM with one on fitted, and it's stuck...... and then a lass rides the trail with her feet up on a TTR250.....:blast

The previous owner had it on the bike before me Phil and he reckoned they were good kit to have, personally I have no bias either way but I wouldn't rush out and buy one just to have the latest bling. The original clutch plates and basket are in the box if you want to put it back to standard.

I just rode it on the rekluse like an ordinary clutch without any dramas. Planty of you tube clips demonstrating the rekluse in action IIRC.

Blue had one on his 950KTM on the TAT last year and he reckoned it was brilliant. Having said that, he's not a half bad rider:augie

I rode it and couldn't get on with it.

I ve had one on my 400 for 2 years and think its worth its weight in gold when the going gets technical or boggy.

Got one on my 400, been on there since new as i know the previous owner who had it from new. bike has done over 10k (6k in my ownership) and no issues whatsoever, i bought it like that after a bad accident that prevented me using my right foot and was the only way to keep trail riding i also have the back brake on the handlebar instead of the clutch, love it so much just bought another for my 950 adv and just about to fit that.
It will take some time to get used to it but you will love it then. i dont see the point in having one and still retain the clutch though

Hmm, mixed reactions with more of a bias towards them being ok.

Still not sure what to do now. :(

Hmm, mixed reactions with more of a bias towards them being ok.

Still not sure what to do now. :(

You probably need to try one Phil, Timpo made some very valid points particularly regarding safety but so did Jasext for his personal needs.

I've tried one and didn't get on with it partly because I enjoy using the clutch when needed.

Anyway, you can see why Jasext has one, here's his bike:D

Attachments

• mobility_scooter_rma_shoprider_paris.jpg
    mobility_scooter_rma_shoprider_paris.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 379
I had one fitted on my 250 smoker along with a LHRB , for me it made it boring just twist & go , BUT the LHRB was very good and made it more like a push bike to ride..

For me I haven't had one fitted for 3 years now, and I would not go back to one again as I felt it took the enjoyment away from having a manual/lever clutch..

Of all the folk i ride with i don't know any of them have a rekluse now... having said that i guess there is a place & time where they work well and aid the rider in an enduro type of an event. For me,, too old and past it to warrant a rekluse :rob

Ok chaps. Thanks for all the comments. It would seem to summarise a Rekluse clutch would be they are just like on a Honda C.90.

Nooooooooooooooo. Not for me on a dirtbike. I will be going for the normal clutch going back in. I prefer to be in control - when I'm out of control IYKWIM. :D

You probably need to try one Phil, Timpo made some very valid points particularly regarding safety but so did Jasext for his personal needs.

I've tried one and didn't get on with it partly because I enjoy using the clutch when needed.

Anyway, you can see why Jasext has one, here's his bike:D
Thats my next upgrade
:p :likeit

I've just bought a 450 EXC which has it fitted and I'm not sure I like the idea of a centrifugal force clutch. It seems they work a bit like a twist and go jobbie. I prefer what I'm used to, a normal clutch.

It would seem that they are an expensive bit of kit too - but I'm still of a mind to fit an original clutch.

Cheers,

Phil

If you don't want it and it's suitable for my '06 450exc(RFS engine), PM me through advrider/UKKTM forum(same name) with your price.
I'm a shi'ite rider so need all the help I can get.:D

If you don't want it and it's suitable for my '06 450exc(RFS engine), PM me through advrider/UKKTM forum(same name) with your price.

As we all noticed of course. . . .:augie:augie

Are you back to full fitness now?
Fancy getting out some time?

Hiya,

Send me a pm through the GS forum and we'll discuss.

I can't log onto the KTM forum as I can't remember what my user name and password were. It was so long ago that I registered. :blast

As we all noticed of course. . . .:augie:augie

Are you back to full fitness now?
Fancy getting out some time?

I'm never at full fitness but I'm as good as can be hoped for.
Email me and we'll arrange something but I'm busy this weekend and in Wales laning next weekend.
Let me know when is best for you and the rest of the lads via email.

Cheers.

Many thanks to Phil Reynolds for a quick transaction.
The 450 rev n go will be in action soon.............!!:thumb2

Cheers,

Phil

what year 450 is it im after one

Back
Top Bottom