Garmin 2610 : New Toy, Getting started.

rocks

Reaction score
My 2610 arrived yesterday. :D

Nice.. and still getting used to it.

Tips :
1. Quick start guide say install mapsource first, NO, install City Navigator First, as it says on the CD sleeve.

2. Check the time setting, mine were USA and wrong region, so struggled to find Satelites.

3. If you have problems with it not finding any satalites, mine kept telling me it was in Taiwan. Select "NEW LOCATION" and then sit back and wait upto 10 mins for it to find the sats and where it is.. one it does it fires up much quicker next time. (PS you need to be in the car with clear sky access)

Also MOUNTING it

You will need the following;

1 x GPS Unit to be mounted

1 x Crable to hold the GPS unit : Garmin, RAM or Touratech

1 x Powercable with inline fuse.

1 x Mounting system. Ie RAM ubolt option to cross bar or Migsel Mounting ring with Ram extention and ram ball for bottom of cradle. Or direct attaching Cradle to the cross bar.

Hope these helps people with their new units. Took me a bit of work it out. Used it for the first time going to work and at work today. Works well, but still have lots more things to learn about it. I think it will be good on the motorbike. Just waiting for my parts to arrive from Migsel.

Watch the demo..

EDITED FOR PARAGON ( There you go.. )

CITY SELECT : Is a software interface that allows you to use Mapping products such as Mapsource 6 etc.

So you load City Select, and then your map software(Mapsource 6.0 etc).. you can load as many as you have unlock keys for.

Tip: There is a tutorial on the City Navigator CD that shows the basics on how to use Mapsource Software. Watch it.

Uploading Maps from City Navigator to your UNIt, ensure the UNit is switched off. Plug the power lead in. Plug the USB lead into the laptop and then the GPS unit. Then switch it on, select upload tab, and select USB upload, NOT Serial (Unless your unit is serial ).

TIP: Set your HOME Location when sat in the CAR or on the bike on your drive with good sat reception.

ROUTES:
You can design routes in the software in two basic ways using the "route" tool.
1. Select the start point, then select each point where you want to go on the route and thus "force" it to a route.

or
2. Select the start point and the end point, and let the software autoroute ie autogenerate its route for you. I did this out of curiosity to see if it found me a quicker way to work. Sadly nope.

Voice options: Mine was defaulted to a USA voice, so changed it to british. Still gives distances in feet, will check if i can change it.

Hope this helps.

Rocks - go into the 'Settings' screen and de-select 'Auto Recalculation' - When you go off route, it will prompt you and ask if you want a re-calc (you often don't), rather than doing it automatically (as it does by default).

Mike:)

ps You can change to metric, but it changes everything to metric (ie, all distances are in Km, and the speedo function is in kph) - very useful when in a metric country...

Mike:)

Re: Watch the demo..

rocks said:
EDITED FOR PARAGON ( There you go.. )

CITY SELECT : Is a software interface that allows you to use Mapping products such as Mapsource 6 etc.

So you load City Select, and then your map software(Mapsource 6.0 etc).. you can load as many as you have unlock keys for.

Sorry, this is arse about face.

Mapsource is the software that controls the various mapping software (City Select, City Navigator, World Map etc). Download and update Mapsource from the Garmin website for the best (I've not had any problems so far, even with the beta stuff) navigation.

With every new GPS unit I've had I sort all my settings (time, imperial speed, m/minute descent etc) before venturing into the garden for the unit to locate itself - less than a few minutes every time - and marking the 'home' waypoint.

I'm sure you have to load the Mapsource CD first to ensure a reliable USB connection.

With regard to the USB connection, it doesn't matter if the unit is on or off when you plug it in - com port isn't bothered either come to think of it.

Apart from that rocks, good stuff. Keep the newbies on their toes :D

Adam :)

PS I'm sure PanEuro could have responded more eloquently/accurately.

CDs

When i openned the box i had a White Box : Inside of which is
1 x Yellow Piece of Paper Containing Unlock code 25 chars.

1 x Card CD wallet : On the front of which is printed City Navigator Install this CD First.

1 x Plastic CD Case : Contains 2 Cd's and says City Navigator Europe v6. on it.

I installed the software according to the instruction on the CD in the card wallet. It then asked your for Disk 1 of 2, from the Plastic CD.

When your done it asks you if you wish a short cup for Mapsource to be created. I chose yes.

Appologies for confusing people previously. :D

Back
Top Bottom