Somme route

Sophiesdad

Reaction score
Off next Friday for a three day trip to the Somme area. We are using Major Holts guide as we did in and around Ypres.
We are staying in Albert on the municipal campsite.
Intend leaving Calais and heading for Peronne first as the guide seems to start us there. Any suggestions for non-motorway routes I can set in the sat nav? Also any stops on the way that may not be on the Holts scheduled route?

To maximise your time visiting sites on the Somme I would nail it down the motorway and get off at Arras to visit the Canadian Memorial at Vimy Ridge, then the Wellington Quarry in Arras, as well as the Arras Memorial in Faubourg-d'Amiens Cemetery. Then head onto the Somme from the north.

Avoiding the motorway I'd go via Azincourt, Doullens, Wavans (visit the grave of James McCudden VC) and onto the Somme from the west.

Have a good trip :thumb2

Ulster Tower

A fantastic place to visit and a good stop before heading off to the recently updated Lochnagar Crater...

If it gets wet.....Try this place

MUSEUM - MUSEE DES ABRIS, ALBERT

Situated in the heart of the Somme Battlefields, in the town of Albert, the Musee des Abris is a good starting place for any visit to this area. Located in a series of tunnels below the Basillica square (used as air-raid shelters in WW2), there are reconstructions of trench scenes, dugouts, trench mortar positions and tunneling. Thousands of items are on display, along with a good film and many photographs and maps. The shops sells some books, and numerous battlefield relics (safe ones!). Opening hours are from 1st March to 15th December, 9.30 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 18.00. In July and August the museum is open all day. Entry costs 4€ per adult and 2.5€ for children, with under 6 year olds going free. Group rate is 3€ per person Adults and Children aged 6-18 2€ per student.

Do a search

Hi Graham...

Do a search on here for Somme Waypoints and routes, loads of info :clap

Enjoy your trip, amazing place :type

TD
:thumb2

Albert

MUSEUM - MUSEE DES ABRIS, ALBERT

Situated in the heart of the Somme Battlefields, in the town of Albert, the Musee des Abris is a good starting place for any visit to this area. Located in a series of tunnels below the Basillica square (used as air-raid shelters in WW2), there are reconstructions of trench scenes, dugouts, trench mortar positions and tunneling. Thousands of items are on display, along with a good film and many photographs and maps. The shops sells some books, and numerous battlefield relics (safe ones!). Opening hours are from 1st March to 15th December, 9.30 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 18.00. In July and August the museum is open all day. Entry costs 4€ per adult and 2.5€ for children, with under 6 year olds going free. Group rate is 3€ per person Adults and Children aged 6-18 2€ per student.

Totally agree we were there at Easter. Absolutely superb, it all is !

Thiepval Memorial is worth a visit, there are computers in the visiters centre with a data base of all the tommies that fell ,and you can find any relatives you may have lost there.
On the way out visit Tommies cafe in the village for bacon and eggs, he has buckets of battlefield finds for a few euros.

My advice would be dont just go on a whim. Chat amongst yourseleves first and decide between where to go. Remember the Somme was active for most part during the Great War and not just the 1916 bout. Many sites to see and if not careful you could end up with a right mishmash and some in the group may be totally confused. To add to the suggestions by other posters my advice would be stick to the 1916 offensive and begin your tour at the Thiepval visitor centre. If you all fancy a guided tour of recently re constructed trenchlines and saps then email Ted at Ulster Tower and book the group in to this popular and very informative tour. :thumb2

Too late for you but .....

I hope your trip was great. Didn't see this until today. I hope there will be a trip report ? :)

For anyone else wishing to tour the Western Front, there is also the excellent book called "Before Endeavours Fade" by Rose Combs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...e+endeavours+fade&sprefix=before+ende,aps,477

A great book going from the beaches in Belgium to the other end of the line in the Argonne. It was updated a few years back.

Not just a route guide, it has many unit and personal stories to match each location.

:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom