Cylinder head protectors

My experience is the guard protects the cover but is in contact with it - if the guard is able to move much it my rip out the fixing scews.

I have been looking at these.

Cheaper than the Touratech offering. If you study the Touratech fitting instructions pads are stuck on the back to make it a snug fit with cylinder head and hopefully it won't rip the fitting screws out in case of an off.

Not sure with this product if it comes with the pads.

Let us know if you get them.

Back by popular demand I believe :thumb2

Back by popular demand I believe :thumb2

I've just checked the link to the GSShop and there is no mention of headguards on there. The link to the last thread was interesting to read, but it does seem that Neil hasn't made them available yet.

Or have they all been sold since Neil's last post?

Last edited:
I've just checked the link to the GSShop and there is no mention of headguards on there. The link to the last thread was interesting to read, but it does seem that Neil hasn't made them available yet.

Or have they all been sold since Neil's last post?

They are here, just waiting for me to find the time to drill the mounting holes. Might be able to do it this coming weekend.

Hmm.. So these protectors (which I've also got) need additional protection before they are substantial enough....

It sounds like they're not really up to the job, in standard form at least.

Could you please describe how you reinforced them?

JUSTABOF the additional protection depends of how many times (and the velocity) you are going to hit the ground. I´m sure they would have resist the crash (it was on asphalt about 40 mph), but is more easy is to replace this sheet added that repair the scratches in the original.

I cut a sheet of the size (not all just about 3/4) of the original, fit the contour with a nylon hammer, make some cuts for "air cooling", and some holes to fit the two pieces with rivets. Before to put the rivets, I smeared Pattex/Nural 21 between the pieces, and then the rivets to make pression. Finally I put hight temperature silicone (Würth) as cushion betwen the protector and the cylinder head.

In the photo '67 you can see that two ribons broke, and one screw finished bent.
(Sorry for my english)

They are here, just waiting for me to find the time to drill the mounting holes. Might be able to do it this coming weekend.
Steptoe/Neil, do you still have any head protectors for an 1150GS?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom