1100 RT ABS.

mark2jag

Reaction score
On occasion the red ABS lights flash out of sequence when I'm riding. Sometimes this can be cured by stopping and turning off the ignition and restarting, but not always. Any ideas people. Im told it can be down to battery voltage, but it has a reasonably recent gel battery fitted if that makes any difference. other than that its quite nice to ride apart from the fairing area produces a few clunks and clonks whenever i go over any sharpish potholes. At higher speeds it seems to be silent.. My previous post abvout the gearbox was not needed after all as the bike seems to have quite a smooth and very non clunky gearbox, so apart from not knowing what to do about the ABS im quite chuffed. Think I should delay my chuffed reaction as just realised MOT runs out on 13th,hopefully not a bad omen.

Oh and the bike is a 1997 on an "R" plate, just for you Myke Rocks:rolleyes:

Isn't there a blink code sequence for them? Check the owners handbook, I'm sure there was a supplement page showing you how to do it, I.e. ign on, watch the light press something etc...5 blinks followed by 2 could for instance mean its a rear sensor....

Do a search on here.

Didn't know you had bought an RT?

The battery voltage fault ONLY occurs when you have two lights going on and off TOGETHER when you switch on the ignition

They only flash ALTERNATIVELY once you press the starter

If it is coming on while riding you need the codes read it may be an airgap, a faulty sensor or pump on the way out

It is not Servo ABS so don;t worry you will ALWAYS have full power brakes even if the pumps fails

N.B. Once the ABS lamps flash

The ABS system is OFF no ifs buts maybes it's off Daddio

You can mute the flashing by pushing the ABS button but that only lasts 15 minutes or so but even muting the flashing lamps the systems is still off

The battery voltage fault ONLY occurs when you have two lights going on and off TOGETHER when you switch on the ignition

They only flash ALTERNATIVELY once you press the starter

If it is coming on while riding you need the codes read it may be an airgap, a faulty sensor or pump on the way out

It is not Servo ABS so don;t worry you will ALWAYS have full power brakes even if the pumps fails

N.B. Once the ABS lamps flash

The ABS system is OFF no ifs buts maybes it's off Daddio

You can mute the flashing by pushing the ABS button but that only lasts 15 minutes or so but even muting the flashing lamps the systems is still off
Jaythro. what you said is correct. The lights come on together when the ignition is switched on SOMETIMES. After you start it the lights flash alternately, but this doesnt happen every time. Anyway the bike passed its MOT, BUT they said something about a Rear brake test and advised me to check rear wheel bearings, and then told me my pads were on the wear limit and needed replacing ASAP along with the wheel bearing check. Rode it home, shut it off, and tried to restart it, but no joy.
Thought it might be a duff or less recent than advertised battery, but the lights werent dimming, so it came down to what I thought might be a stuck starter motor or possibly ring gear not engaging and thus not starting.
The really heavy Clunk from the starter motor makes me think it might be a dodgy starter, as Im dreading it being ring gear problems.. Any ideas anyone??

Sorry if this is turning into a saga,but I did try to phone someone in the know but was met with just an answerphone.

Thanks for the replies so far all. Keep up the good work

Mark

Start the bike, move of. Are the ABS light still winking?

Keep the bike moving in second gear

Pull in clutch

Switch off the engine using the key

Switch bike on using the key

Wait for metallic clicks as ABS resets and the ABS lights go out

Release clutch to effectively bump start the bike.

ABS will be (should be) operational

Obviously, if you are in any way concerned about bump-starting a fully-faired tourer or what it feels like then don't. On a public road and the potential accident you could have or cause and the view of your insurance company would be, well let me see, a rapidly decelerating motorcycle on a clear road not showing any brake light.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1100 RT ABS

Thank you all for your comments. Here's an update..

First start of the day always goes the same way. apply a small amount of choke, make sure lights are off and start the engine. Engine starts, ABS lights flash alternately. Run engine for a few minutes then stop engine, turn ignition off, wait 5 or 10 seconds, turn ignition back on, start bike, and then the lights flash together. Clutch in,into gear and ride off normally and ABS lights go out. I'm sort of getting the opinion that the battery MIGHT be JUST under the voltage required by the diagnostic check,so might just be time for a new battery , perhaps?

Next step. Heated grips!!!!

Mark

Jaythro. what you said is correct. The lights come on together when the ignition is switched on SOMETIMES. After you start it the lights flash alternately, but this doesnt happen every time. Anyway the bike passed its MOT, BUT they said something about a Rear brake test and advised me to check rear wheel bearings, and then told me my pads were on the wear limit and needed replacing ASAP along with the wheel bearing check. Rode it home, shut it off, and tried to restart it, but no joy.
Thought it might be a duff or less recent than advertised battery, but the lights werent dimming, so it came down to what I thought might be a stuck starter motor or possibly ring gear not engaging and thus not starting.
The really heavy Clunk from the starter motor makes me think it might be a dodgy starter, as Im dreading it being ring gear problems.. Any ideas anyone??

Sorry if this is turning into a saga,but I did try to phone someone in the know but was met with just an answerphone.

Thanks for the replies so far all. Keep up the good work

Mark
I have now had 2 starters on my '97 RT11 both failed in a similar way, would work for months then a clunk and no movement, turned out to be loose magnets getting crunched in the gears, this also gave me ABS problems as even when the motor turned the bike, it often took excess voltage from the system, tricking the ABS system into faults. the clunking you report on potholes could well be the brake bobbins worn, grab hold of the disc rotors and try to shake them up and down, there should be little to no movement.

Back
Top Bottom