Moto piston Rally 2012

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I see this year it runs from Sept 30th to Oct 9th, based in santander but with three days at different locations.

The long weekend of the 5th/6th/7th being the usual moto piston weekend.

After all the ukgsers at last years event, who'll be going this year ? :D

In Northern Spain on those dates but on the trails.
Plymouth on 30th and Santander on the 10th.
Hopefully back there again in 2013 on a classic.

I plan to get there for wednesday night and do Thur/Fri/Sat and head home Sunday morning. I intend to ride down from Roscoff this time, do a night at my place in the Charente Maritime, then take a scenic route through the mountains. Chuck in the 5000 curves and it should seem more like a proper adventure then a weekend away this time :D

I've booked the 4th, 5th & 8th 9th of October off work....buts thats all at present.....

The plan.......at the moment

Night boat to Caen on the 3rd ..... 4th and 5th ride down through France/ Spain..... N routes etc....

6th / 7th Race/Autojumble/Mountains etc...

8th/9th ride back to Caen...... different route to be planned..... evening ferry back to Pompey...

Job done.... i may try and get a wiggle on on day one and hit the Pyranees at the end of the 4th giving me an extra day...... would love to meet up for a few beers if possible..... happy for others to join me on trip down if they want to.......

How far in riding through FROGLAND, Portsmouth - Cean 700 miles ?

Caen - Bayonne is 495 miles.... i normally go to Saint Jean Pied De Port which is 525 miles but puts you very close to the mountains......you can save 60 odd miles by sticking closer to the coast but the road around to Santander from Bayonne is fuckin horrible a million Arctic’s from Portugal all doing 90....so i move inland a bit for quieter roads and better views.

Bayonne to Santander is 150 miles ish... so, day one I’ll do the BIG miles to the Pyrenees then day two a mooch around arriving in Santander for dinner and beer.

so, yup around 700miles door to door......that’s just under 4 tanks of fuel for me at around 100 euros, plus a cheap b&b at say 40 euros..... so, 140 euros each way..... That’s 280 for the round trip (plus the portsmouth crossing around £150)...... the ferry was over £400 last time i looked..... You have to buy coffee and food either way... the St Nazaire/Gijon ferry is an option but has strange sailing times......

Last edited:
. the St Nazaire/Gijon ferry is an option but has strange sailing times......

That's the way i'll be going, on the overnight St Naz to Gijon.
Leaves St Nazaire weds 9pm. Arrives Gijon thursday 12 midday, hour and a half bimble along the coast to santander.

So i leave home weds morning, arrive santander early thursday afternoon - Cheaper than riding with an overnight stop on the way. ;) Got it for 83 euros last oct.
In santander have a stroll along the front, have a coffee and look at the bikes, and then out for good meal and nights entertainment .

Yes Johnny, the ferries have gone up, ime booked Pompey - Santander mid October 1 bike 2 people and cabin £405, last year same route early October was £280:blast

Yes Johnny, the ferries have gone up, ime booked Pompey - Santander mid October 1 bike 2 people and cabin £405, last year same route early October was £280:blast

How long ago did you book?

We booked in Feb I think:nenau

it was 2 up to be fair when i looked.........so, i'm going solo now and will ride down...... !

moto piston rally

My mate went last year on his vincent black shadow
he set off from bury and the big end went in reading his got recovered home had a sleep missed the ferry to santander so fired up the gs 1200 got a ferry to france and rode non-stop he said he was made to feel like a lepper
he rebuilding the shadow and plans to go this year he said although he didn't feel loved on the gs he said it a amazing rally
should i go on he lambretta :beerjug:

I can probably put up 1 or 2 people heading down through south west France for a night. The accomodation is about 300/350 miles from the ports and about another 8/9 hrs to Santander. I have no concrete plans yet but will post nearer the time if anyone is interested.

In Northern Spain on those dates but on the trails.
Plymouth on 30th and Santander on the 10th.
Hopefully back there again in 2013 on a classic.

Yep I have now decided that I'm going to buy myself an older Guzzi or Triumph over the winter and next year wil ride down and ferry back. Looking forward to it already :)

Never been and can't see the point in taking a tourist's bike, would my Triumph fit in there?:nenau
P1020547-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom