ESA2

GSTourer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I picked up my 2010 RT(SE) with 10000 miles on the clock yesterday from the dealer.

I played with the ESA on the journey home (about 50 miles) but with one helmet up I couldn't notice any difference between sport, comfort and normal.

The ride felt pretty stiff in all 3 settings and the differences weren't there that I recall from riding a couple of 2012 demonstrators as loan bikes.

I have contacted the dealer and mentioned it and they will take a look at it when it goes in to have my satnav and autocom fitted off my old bike so I am confident that it will get sorted but I just wondered if anyone had any view/opinion?

Thanks.

Perhaps the shocks are broken, have a look underneath to see if they are leaking oil:thumb2

Sorry I am a technical 'numpty'.............how can I tell. It shows 'one helmet' (is that an indication of preload?)
Me too, I couldn't think of a better word for the one helmet, two helmet, one helmet + luggage :)

Someone with better knowhow will be along to say that it isn't preload next. Anyway your experience doesn't sound right - you should be able to feel a difference between sport and comfort, I was wondering if it was being masked by the other setting. Being "big" I tend to run 1+ Luggage as a solo rider on the GSA.

A.

Me too, I couldn't think of a better word for the one helmet, two helmet, one helmet + luggage :)

Someone with better knowhow will be along to say that it isn't preload next. Anyway your experience doesn't sound right - you should be able to feel a difference between sport and comfort, I was wondering if it was being masked by the other setting. Being "big" I tend to run 1+ Luggage as a solo rider on the GSA.

A.

When I had one, you could definately tell the difference between Sport and Comfort/Normal

At 10,000 miles the shocks could be kapput, it isn't unheard of

With the motor running and you off the bike, try setting it to 2 helmets and wait till the display stops flashing; then back to single helmet. If the suspension extends and retracts then at least you know that part of ESA is operating.
If there's no change at all it's deffo inoperative. But yes - on a GSA at least there's an obvious change in suspension in those settings.

There's a noticeable difference between comfort/normal/sport on mine, but the bike is much stiffer than a GS and normal suffices most of the time. You could still tell the difference on the 20k mile rental I had in the USA last week - the damping still seemed fine, despite being two up with about 40kg of luggage

I was pretty sure it wasn't right yesterday but had ridden home before making that decision.

Spoke to the chap who sold it to me and he said it was OK when they did the PDI check but they will take a look when I take it back to them probably next week.

I have a 12 month extended warranty from the dealer so hopefully this will cover it but I am still mindful that IF it is faulty then they either didn't check it prior to giving it to me, did check it and knew it was faulty but went ahead without saying anything or it became faulty within a couple of miles of riding up the road (unlikely I would suggest).

I will let you know when I have taken it back.

Just been out in the garage and set it at all settings and can't notice any difference whatsoever in the bike. It doesn't appear to move up or down front or rear at all and there are no whirring noises as I would have expected as it adjusted.

You need the engine running to change the preload - perhaps you just had the ignition on? For the preload - set to one helmet on comfort and get off and bounce the back end, you should feel a well damped but fairly soft bounce, if you know what I mean.... Static sag around 25mm or so. Now set to 2 helmets - the bike rises up. Still on comfort, you will hardly be able to bounce the bike at all and will have no static sag, set to sport and should feel just about rock solid.

You can alter the comfort/normal/sport setting on the move, by pressing the esa button. One press shows the current setting, subsequent presses alter the setting.
To alter the setting for one helmet, two helmets etc, it is my understanding that you have to be stationary with the engine running.. This setting is altered by pressing and holding the ESA button in for a couple of seconds until the icon changes.
Mine is an '05 model and i have never noticed the ride height altering when the 'helmet' setting is changed although a recent two-up trip with luggage was no problem with the suspension controlling the bike well. There is a noticeable difference between the comfort/normal/sport settings. Comfort seems a bit wallowy on our roads, even the motorways. I would imagine it is fine in ze Fatherland on properly engineered roads.

My 2009 GSA's ESA was never much to speak about - so I never spoke about it!
Anyway, I couldn't tell any difference at all so I just put it down to being a bit of a gimmick or just me not being sensitive enough (I'd always thought that bike racers were bullshitting a bit about settings this and that).
Then @ 16,000 miles, all the fluid leaked out of the rear shock giving the ride a similar feel to a jet ski!
BMW said that as good will they'd have a look at it for £93! They may also with no warranty help with the payment of £1,300 for a replacement.
On advice I went with the WESA (Wilbur) from: www.revsracing.co.uk/wilbers.php It cost me £630.00 fitted and they assured me that the difference will amaze me. They asked me to take it for a ride and come back. After 100yds the difference was staggering. I've done a couple of thousand miles since and I can't stop messing with the settings because it is now brilliant and the settings are really useful.
Hope that helps...

You can alter the comfort/normal/sport setting on the move, by pressing the esa button. One press shows the current setting, subsequent presses alter the setting.
To alter the setting for one helmet, two helmets etc, it is my understanding that you have to be stationary with the engine running.. This setting is altered by pressing and holding the ESA button in for a couple of seconds until the icon changes.
Mine is an '05 model and i have never noticed the ride height altering when the 'helmet' setting is changed although a recent two-up trip with luggage was no problem with the suspension controlling the bike well. There is a noticeable difference between the comfort/normal/sport settings. Comfort seems a bit wallowy on our roads, even the motorways. I would imagine it is fine in ze Fatherland on properly engineered roads.

My 2010 changes in height dramatically between the settings. In fact last week I had been riding with two helmets (pillion and ultra heavy) and when loaded up I could just touch the ground with my toes on one side or the other not both - when stopped. When SWMBO got off and I trie to park on gravel I almost dropped the bike. I reset to one helmet and could again flat foot the bike - so pretty big difference I reckon.

I too struggle to notice the difference between comfort and normal - but sport is a spine tingle'er when you hit some rough surfaces (BTW it's a RT).

I have done changes on the move (i.e. sport/comfort/normal) and can notice no difference in the ride compliance at all. This is different to how I recall a couple of loan RT's I have had........but, I suppose it could be my memory.

Done the 1/2 passenger/luggage changes when astride the bike (but not ridden the changes) and can't seem to detect the bike altering its position under me.

I guess all will be revealed when it goes back in next week sometime.

Thanks to all for the advice.

I have done changes on the move (i.e. sport/comfort/normal) and can notice no difference in the ride compliance at all. This is different to how I recall a couple of loan RT's I have had........but, I suppose it could be my memory.

Done the 1/2 passenger/luggage changes when astride the bike (but not ridden the changes) and can't seem to detect the bike altering its position under me.

I guess all will be revealed when it goes back in next week sometime.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Sit on the bike, engine running and switch from one helmet to two. The bike should rise up, you will feel it if working correctly. My wife liked it alot :augie

Back
Top Bottom