KTM 690 Enduro R Over-clocking miles?

dakarDude

Reaction score
Hi,

I've suspected my 690 is overcooking the mileage its clocking up as I ride.

Sure enough, yesterday I clocked an exact route point to point that clocked 1 mile on one bike that I know to be correct and then the same run on the 690 clocked 1.5 miles.

The 690 is definitely set to "mph" (miles) on its ODO and set as per the handbook.

So for every genuine mile, my 690 is clocking 1.5 miles :mad: In short, 12,557 miles is on the clock, but in reality, the bike has only really done 8,339.

..so I am starting to think the magnet on the pickup is dicky or the alignment is out with it somehow? Am I barking up the wrong tree, or am I on the right lines do you think? (Looks like an aftermarket magnet has been fitted to the front wheel).

I also get some wild readouts on the mph (or km/h) speedo as I ride (it jumps high to low and back again), so somthing is definitely not right.

As far as I am aware the whole thing is "calibrated" right to 2205 (21" front wheel) as this appears on the KTM puter when I turn the key on?

I read some thread on ADV saying someone with a 990 had to set theirs to a 19" to get it spot on, but wtf?!?

Anyone else had issues with the 690's like this?

Cheers

My 640 played up like that a couple of years ago, I suspected the sensor after I'd jet washed it so disconnected it. tried it again after about a month and it was ok again and stayed that way..........it's the fairies:thumb

Had something similar with a Sherco.

The ODO and SPEEDO are working from the same input, if that is giving false readings resuling in excessive speeds, then the number of miles covered wil be over-recorded.

In teh case of the Sherco, teh propblme was that the pick up coil was incorrectly aligned. On that systenm it uses the disk bolt heads to generate a very low flux which is picked up by tegh coild and tuned into the pulses that teh speedo can count, 5 per revolution. If it knows the diameter of the wheel and tyre it can work out the distance covered per revolution, and from that the speed.

I believe that KTM use a magnet in the front disk to generate signals through the sensor. The things I would check are:
Whether the magnet is still there.
Whether the magnet is too close ( or too far) from the sensor.
Whether the sensor is aligned with the magnet ( I think it is meanr to be slightly off?)
Whether teh seonsor cable is frayed, cut or broken in any way.

Yep, I checked all that on mine. But it started working again of it's own accord:confused:

Cheers guys, geez, this "worked after a month" thing is worrying!!! Gonna try the 19" setting just to see what happens.

Not good this, its piling miles on falsely, so come to sell time and its all to crap :mad:

Cheers for all your input all - sorted! :thumb

It was the alignment of the magnet in the end. Its an after market magnet on a small bracket.

I ended up removing the front wheel and moving the sensor up by unscrewing it first (2 screws) then moving what was the bottom hole on the sensor to the upper hole on the fork leg.

That gave the pickup better centralised contact over the magnet. Just need to return to a more permanent 2-screw solution to be more confident in how its attached to the bike, now that its down to just the one screw. May have to craft an ali plate (thin) and then I can drill it to hold it in place so I can get it just right.

Took it out and rode what I know is a mile on another bike and voila!

The speedo issue is also much better now - its a tad slow at settling on the speed readout, just wondering if this is that normal on the KTM 690 'puters?

- Or perhaps the alignment is better but not quite spot on for it yet?

Either way, much, much better!

Thanks all.

:clap

Did you know you had an 'aftermarket' part fitted?

Yes, it feeds 2 x ICOs on the bike. They (ICOs) seem to be spot on, it was the KTM computer that was getting misfed. So in total there are 3 sensors - 2 ICO, 1 KTM.

Yes, it feeds 2 x ICOs on the bike. They (ICOs) seem to be spot on, it was the KTM computer that was getting misfed. So in total there are 3 sensors - 2 ICO, 1 KTM.

Ah, so the original question was a cryptic one:blast:D

Back
Top Bottom