City Select/ Roads and Recreation

(RIP) willstatt

Lost
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
have begun to get the hang of my GPS V and must say, that it's an impressive bit of kit. The only real downside is the 19mb limit for uploading detailed maps from the Mapsource CD's
The only CD that I have, is the 'City select' one, that came with the Garmin GPS V deluxe pack.

What is the difference between the City Select, and the Road and Recreation CD's?

I wondered if perhaps there were any CD's which had lots of road detail, but very little else (hotels, garages, coastal details etc) so that it was possible to load up more maps before reaching the 19mb limit)

Not sure I've explained that v well...... basically...... how can I get more maps into the GPS before the 19mb is all used up?

Any suggestions?

Yes it`s a pain is`nt it..I`m going to buy a laptop for when I drag the shed across Europe with the wife but it`s not really an option for the bike.

Buy a receiver that excepts datacards. 128mb can be had off ebay for £150.

Whilst 128mb still might not be enough it's a lot better than 19mb, and you could buy a couple of cards which would still work out cheaper than a new laptop.

Choose a receiver with large screen and creating routes becomes practicable without a laptop.

As for a laptop not being an option, don't be so sure. I've used an iBook on a trip with no problems. Comes in handy for notes, maps and storing digital pictures.

boxer said:
Buy a receiver that excepts datacards. 128mb can be had off ebay for £150.
And the cost of the receiver? £800 secondhand £1000 new - hmmm not sure that's what our friend was looking for.

If you want to use the V to its fullest potential make full use of waypoints and routes and leave the detailed maps out of it. It requires a bit of planning but you can design the route from the comfort of your PC and let it route via the base map.

This is OK until you need Street level detail and if that is the primary reason then sooner or later you'll find yourself swapping the V for a SPIII. No sooner do you do that then you start to miss the versatility of the V (Just don't ask me how I know) :rolleyes:

jud9e said:
No sooner do you do that then you start to miss the versatility of the V (Just don't ask me how I know) :rolleyes:

Yeah your ex-V sure is keeping my mileage high Andy! But as the days progress find the V very usefull and more interesting once you get your head around all the various options. Is there any software that would have the basemap as on the GPS itself?
I marked some waypoints for my trip in South-Africa Decemeber and get's really anoying having to select the basemap every time and then search for the cities. Fortunetaly I know the roads so well in SA that could still pick the town names in order from start to destination.

Would be much easier even if it is the basemap only on the pc to pick waypoints, towns and cities elsewhere.

Cheers
:gringo

maverick said:
Is there any software that would have the basemap as on the GPS itself?

Would be much easier even if it is the basemap only on the pc to pick waypoints, towns and cities elsewhere.

Cheers
Well if you have a grasp of Garmin's marketing stance you'll know the answer is always "of course we do Sir,it's called ........... and it is only ........."

In this instance the words for the blanks are 'Worldmap' and '$116.65'.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/WM.htmlMore info here

You canplay around with the mapsource viewer for the worldmap and see exactly what you get before dipping into Michelle's purse again. I've just been lookin at Jo'berg. Marvellous you can go all that way and still get stuck in traffic on the M1!!!! :D

Andy.

1st rule of GPS ownership - you ain't going to know what you really want until you brought your first. :rolleyes:

And the cost of the receiver? £800 secondhand £1000 new - hmmm not sure that's what our friend was looking for.

A receievr that accepts Datacards can be had for approx £430 [add cost of datacard] same as a V. At this price point I thought it relevant to both Daves and willstatts posts.

Same old trade off init? What price Auto Routing.

AR and 19mb or Datacards and no AR.

To willstatt :

The whole of England and Wales is 19mb from Birmingham down using Mapsource Roads and Rec and 45mb using Mapsource Metroguide.

The M1 - JHB

jud9e said:
I've just been lookin at Jo'berg. Marvellous you can go all that way and still get stuck in traffic on the M1!!!! :D

A taste of the M1 into Johannesburg

Imagine you driving in perfect weather +- 28-31 degrees and you get stuck in a 10 mile stretch of complete standstill traffic which you can not filter and no turning around, have a nice day!

Not every day as bad but when it does go wrong on the M1 it sure goes wrong horribly!

The moment you out of there and non school holidays the rest of the country is wicked to drive through if you are carefull of the HGV's

Cheers

Re: The M1 - JHB

maverick said:
The moment you out of there and non school holidays the rest of the country is wicked to drive through if you are carefull of the HGV's

Cheers
That is good to know as a mate of mine has got a GS out there ;) Now just got to look up the Lonely Planet guide about how to survive in Suff Avrika and who knows maybe one day??? :D

JHB - SA

jud9e said:
That is good to know as a mate of mine has got a GS out there ;) Now just got to look up the Lonely Planet guide about how to survive in Suff Avrika and who knows maybe one day??? :D

Well only 5 weeks and counting, then I am out of here for 3,5 glorious weeks on my GS back home. Luvely innit!!:D

The real reason

jud9e said:
Just don't get carried away with bike riding and forget the REAL reason you're going home!! :D

Ohh shite!! That reminds me still need to get the engagement ring made.....

Man is weddings expensive! So much GS stuff to buy so many bills to pay. Hey at least I marry a bike lover(hope she does not dissapear after the "I do" bit)

:D

thanks

Well, thanks for all the various and helpful advice...... I knew when I bought the V that the 19mb was the only real downside, as its compact size means it fits neatly below the cross bar without dominating the whole 'cockpit' It's also big enough to read easily whilst on the move, but small enough to put in your pocket when you park up...... And anyway...... GSers are supposed to be adventure bikers aren't they? So I reckon any gadget that makes navigation toooooo easy, is sort of taking the fun out of the whole experience (or something like that)

Thanks again

Will

Will

I've been wondering about GPS recently and really want Auto-routing. How are you managing at the moment? Does the AR do a decent job with only the basemap? Advice would be really appreciated.

Tim

jud9e said:

snip

Nope, emap will take 128Meg cards, and that's £200.

Autorouting only via the PC, not via the unit.

Auto routing

Timbo,

Not really tried auto routing with just the base map...... but that's my next step...... I'm gonna make up some routes on my PC, and then transfer them to the V and see how they work with just the base map.

All in all though the V is a brilliant bit of kit, given its compact size. and even with the base map only, you'd always have a pretty good idea of where you were...... after all, one of the great joys of 'adventure' biking is just going off your planned route, and doing a bit of exploring...... we'd all be a bit sad if we just stuck rigidly to the routes we'd worked out in the comfort of our homes!!!!

Will

Re: Auto routing

willstatt said:
Timbo,

snip
after all, one of the great joys of 'adventure' biking is just going off your planned route, and doing a bit of exploring...... we'd all be a bit sad if we just stuck rigidly to the routes we'd worked out in the comfort of our homes!!!!

Will

I suggest you mean
"misggin the turning getting lost, and not having a clue where you are..."

willstatt said:
What is the difference between the City Select, and the Road and Recreation CD's?

The difference is that the the auto routing will not work with R&R.
This came from Garmin when I enquired about the GPS196MAP:-

"Yes, the GPSMap196 is compatible with the MapSource Roads and Recreation Europe and USA Roads and Recreation however please bear in mind that the above-mentioned mapping software products do not support the advanced find functions i.e. they will not search for addresses on the GPS unit and provide turn by turn navigation. The software that was designed for street
level mapping on the GPSMap196 is the MapSource City Select software which will supply turn-by-turn navigation. "

Also I would be surprised if the AR function works with the base map which is very "basic".

Back
Top Bottom