Routes to Andermatt ?

quorngeordie

Reaction score
Right ive decided to ditch the idea of taking the overnight sleeper train, germany to Innsbruck and decided to ride to the Andermatt/Interlaken area...

Ive read various threads, I'd like to avoid tunnels, so the maps are out for some nights to come

Many of you good old boys have done this before so any advice greatly appreciated

Going to take couple of days to get there once landing in calais

:beerjug: in advance

Personally, I'd do day one on quick roads to Besancon or somewhere near. then day two on more enjoyable roads through Switzerland to Andermatt via Interlaken, Meiringen and the Sustenpass.

Or you could always right the Route Des Cretes in the Vosges on the way down. Would add to the time, but get you practised for the Alpine passes. :thumb2

Wot he said.

Could also take in the B500 in the Black Forest as well as a run down the Vosges and still get from the UK to Andermatt with two days riding.

Or you could always right the Route Des Cretes in the Vosges on the way down. Would add to the time, but get you practised for the Alpine passes. :thumb2

On our 2010 tour we went used the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry and then headed to Strasbourg (lovely old town and the Ibis was cheap with secure parking :thumb2) via the Verdun WWI memorial. The next day we had a cracking ride down the Routes des Cretes to Luzern, which was also very pretty in the centre. This set us up for a very easy ride down to the Susten/Furka/Grimsell passes the next day :cool:

I go via Belgium - no tolls and less boring

Calais - Dunkerque - Lille - Namur - Luxembourg - Saarbruken after this I take to the smaller roads and have a blast through the Vosges and jump back on the motorway at Mulhouse crossing into Switzerland at Basel then head for Lucerne where you can either head down the motorway or take the Grimsel and Furka passes or as has already been mentioned the Susten Pass to Andermatt.

At under 650 miles this is an easy two day ride from Calais, or you could do it in two days from Loughborough without too much fuss.

We're not getting our annual alpine fix this year as we're heading off to Norway. Whichever way you go enjoy it :thumb

Dave

Any of the routes suggested above will work.

Like many Alpine towns, there are only two or three roads into Andermatt, simply because the bloody mountains get in the way. At some point you'll have to line yourself up with one of the roads which may well dictate how you eventually plan to arrive.... or become a mountain goat.

I did a similar route last year. Day 1 was from Doncaster to 2 wheels mooring in Dun sur Meuse (via Calais) Day 2 down the B500 to Schluchsee and day 3 was via Davos , Chur and the Oberalp pass. As said quite a few routes available but i choose to avoid motorways / peages as it makes for a better ride IMHO. But if you need to get to the twisty bits quick you can't beat the motorways. The puritans on here will lambast me for this but eh ho :thumb

One point to note is that a lot of the non-motorway roads in Switzerland can be extremely tedious as the valleys are heavily populated and you're passing through village after village e.g. between the the Oberalp pass and Chur or north of Luzern.

I was too tight to pay for a Swiss motorway vignette, but it could be worth it if you're short of time as many of the Swiss motorways are single carriageway, scenic and simply bypass the villages

Andermatt is a great spot, you will like it. You will do the passesd all day and back.

Just be sure to adhere to speed limits in towns, otherwise you are fine.

We have stayed in http://www.hotelsonneandermatt.ch/

Great little hotel with two garages so you are all tucked in. Zermat is close by and you can go see the Matterhorn.

Be weary of some tunnels with surface water on a dry day.

If you are going to the black forest, you can stay in a lifeless town called Todtmoos or else a town called Wehr only up the road. Great roads around there. Germany has got the best roads bar none in my opinion.

we did a similar route to what robin has advised,had a great run to andermatt via besancon,pontarlier,bern interlaken,sustenpass,then motored through to chiavenna,the only thing we found was that your av speed drops quite a bit in switzerland, obviously due to the passes/tight roads but also because of the speed wary swiss,who seem to go slower every year,and the cops can be a bit overzealous so you tend to go slow,but a cracking ride all the same

Back
Top Bottom