BMW R100GS HPN PD 1988 Newbie

PaulColeman

Reaction score
Evening All.

I have an idea that what I have is a bit rare (albeit complete its a rolling chasis at the moment as an ongoing restoration):

R100GS 1987 Genuine 17000km

Engine/Gearbox built by BMW raceshop. Full race gearbox with oil pump.

Bike built by HPN.

43l fuel tank

Under mudguard water tank

Leather toolbag.

It took part in 1988 PD rally and has the original route holder with map.

Only one previous (carefull...ish) owner!

Pics will follow.

Initial problem is obviously I need to get it insured. Standard R100GS value not a great problem but given this bikes history low mileage and HPN link what is it worth?? No one appears to know. Obviously I dont want to underinsure. Does the club offer a valuation service? Is there a resident valuation expert??

Thanks (in advance) for your help!

Its worth about £500 but i'll give you a grand for it just because you're new here and i'm a nice guy:D

if it is your a jammy fecker:beerjug:

put up some pics so we can see it , and the resident experts can givetheir considered opinions:thumb2

As long as it was not a red framed one from ebay you'll be fine. Place some photos in something like photobucket or smugmug then you can post htem up by copying and pasting the img code.

As long as it was not a red framed one from ebay you'll be fine. Place some photos in something like photobucket or smugmug then you can post htem up by copying and pasting the img code.

No its not a red framed one. Frame has been refurbed. It has sat in the garage a number of years and was purchased from the original owner who commissioned the work with HPN. Lots of projects its just this one has reached the front of the queue!

Will post some pics at weekend.

I had my 1981 g/s rebuilt and went for classic insurance.

They asked for 4 photos, one from N,S,E & W, so to speak, then they sent the pictures to a valuation place who put a value on it, which wasn't too far off what I though it was worth.

You could try that approach.

I had my 1981 g/s rebuilt and went for classic insurance.

They asked for 4 photos, one from N,S,E & W, so to speak, then they sent the pictures to a valuation place who put a value on it, which wasn't too far off what I though it was worth.

You could try that approach.

Thanks. Who did you insure with?

Any recommendations from anyone?

Many insurers used to offer what's called an "agreed valuation" cover. The idea is that you provide your valuation based upon condition, work done, rarity etc. and they agree to provide cover based upon that valuation (usually evidenced by way of photos and invoices etc).

It may sound as though that would increase premiums but in reality the opposite was true because owners who go to that extent are more likely to be careful ones.

Try some of the main bike insurers and ask if they do an agreed valuation.

Carole Nash do agreed value insurance. As tuftywhite has said, all you neeed to do is complete a form that they supply and return it with four photos and a list of the work completed on it.

I've got three classic bikes insured this way and they agreed the value I set on all of them. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom